***Mariner of the Seas - Statement From Royal Caribbean

LauraS

did anyone else happen to notice that a lot of these posts belong to people who do not normally post on these boards? Take a look at the numbers in the upper right of these entries. :confused:

I always pay attention to the number of postings especially when they are all negatives. Everyone has to start somewhere, but when there appears to be just one side and the poster or posters wait til they return from a cruise to start posting I get a bit suspecious. NMnita

It's obvious the release was modified (as traceable by the change in color from blue to black text color). I'm not suggesting CC made the changes, but it reinforces the statement previously that multiple hands were responsible for creating, and changing the release for public consumption.

With regard to cleanliness, perhaps RCCL should reinforce hand washing more among staff, as I (and others who frequently travel with me) have seen many a crew member leave a restroom without washing their hands. Although I've certainly seen more passengers do the same, the crew and their personal hygiene could most certainly be one of many sources for the infection.

Think about an illness that spreads; SARS, and the rate at which it spread in parts of Asia. Clearly personal hygiene and lack of anti-bacterial soaps in public restrooms has some contribution to the rapid spread of such diseases.

If only RCCL would have staff at the entrance to any food outlet placing a spot of anti-bac gel on the hands of those entering. It may sound drastic, but reflecting on the number of men I've seen use the urinal and walk right out of the restroom without washing, both at the office and while travelling (the men here know what I'm talking about), it is something worth considering.

The anti bacterial gel use is a must as far as I am concerned. Last time we sailed RCI was before these dispensers were ever seen, quite a few years ago, NCL has them available. As for not washing hands, I agree, I will say one thing< I don't think in 16 cruises I have ever seen anyone from the kitchen or restaurant crew in a bathroom used by the passengers so I wouldn't know if they wash their hands or not. I do know, what you say, about people in general is true. I can't believe how many people I see use a restroom and just walk out. Oh, for us females, I back-up: many use the restroom and then comb their hair or make certain they have enough lipstick; washing hands is far down their list. this is one reason I don't think anyone can know where or who is responsible for the spread of these virus illnesses or what the cruiseline is expected to do. NMnita

Don't you just hate it when you pull the door to exit a bathroom and the handle is wet. You don't know if it is water or something else. The past few years I have taken to grabbing a hand full of paper from a stall and using that to open the door or wait until somebody else walks in or out.:eek:

I always pay attention to the number of postings especially when they are all negatives. Everyone has to start somewhere, but when there appears to be just one side and the poster or posters wait til they return from a cruise to start posting I get a bit suspecious. NMnita

newmexicoNita ~ thank you... that is all I was trying to point out.

As napsterisback pointed out, I do not have a lot of postings either. The original purpose of these boards (I believe) are to open comunication POSITIVELY for your cruising experience. Personally I do more reading than posting. I am fairly new to cruising and I do not feel I have an abundance of cruise knowledge to pass on. But why do people use these boards to voice these kinds of concerns? Wouldn't it be more effective to address Royal Carribean, your travel agent, the CDC, and so on? When I see someone speaking so negative and strongly on their first few entries it makes me wonder if they joined the boards only to stir up trouble. As I mentioned before, I don't feel that is the purpose to this forum.

I am not trying to start a war, I just feel that if you truly want to make a change, go to the source.

I was directed to this thread by a friend of ours who is also booked on Mariner of the Sea this coming Oct. I've experienced 12 cruises and have enjoyed all. Just another common thread regarding this "illness" experienced on Mariner of the Sea. I drove my sister and her husband to Tampa, FL on Jan. 29th for a cruise on Holland America's Veendam. She recounted to me that the ship almost did not go out as several hundred people had "stomach viruses" during that cruise. Holland America delayed boarding to "disinfect the ship." She also stated that she was offered the chance to cancel for full credit or proceed. She opted to proceed. She had a wonderful cruise with no reports of illness. Also, one little note. That ship was also doing "Western Caribbean cruising." A common thread with the Mariner of the Sea. I wonder how the people on her next cruise fared?????

I think since it was named after the mysterious virus that spread rapidly in Norwalk, Ohio, that we should blame all of those darn Norwalkians!! (oops I'm from Ohio and not far away from there) hehehehe

The "24 hour flu" that many of us in the Northwest/Ohio Valley talk about is probably what is diagnosed as Norwalk Virus. I've had it a few times in my life! I would expect by going to a condensed area like a movie theater, a cruise ship, a ball game, anywhere that you spend hours touching many times touched items there is going to be many viruses spread rapidly. What is the incubation period of Norwalk? If that poster go it within 12 hours of the ship and it was a major group and was NOT food poisoning, I would bet that a food server or bus shuttle or something prior to the cruise actually was where they were all exposed. You know airplanes are the #1 best way of contracting colds and flu? All that recirculated air in a close contact with a vehicle used dozens of times every day...imagine the chance of one flight attendant passing her germs onto everyone who flies with her that day? And I wouldn't blame the workers on these cruises either, it could also be the dock guys loading stuff onto your ship, heck it could even be the security guy as you step into the RCCL port entrance that checks your ID! It's public contact everywhere that continues to spread this virus, not cruise ships themselves.

Perhaps we should all shut ourselves into our homes and never come out! That would solve the problem, wouldn't it?

:)

Yes you can get sick anywhere but the ODDS of getting sick on a cruise ship and ruining your vacation are MUCH MUCH HIGHER. And the number of unreported cases are higher and do not include the number of people who became sick after the cruise was over. In any other setting this would be considered an EPIDEMIC however the cruise lines have a lot of defenders and a PR staff of unparelled proportions. They should teach "Damage Control" at one of our Universities.

BTW I am still awaiting a reply from RCCL on the tour I booked on ship for the $185.00 (2) snorkeling and swimming with the rays. Water was so rough on Cayman that Snorkeling was virtually impossible, one passenger was missing and almost drowned, someone from another boat dove in to save him since our bikini clad captain and mate had no idea where he was, two other fell off their disabled "tour boat" due to rough seas ( we had to pull along side them to "jump" start them and boats were violently baning againt each other) and there were no working bathrooms on my boat. CR says they are only the agent and I would have to "put it in writing" so they could handle it. This, after I spent over 15 minutes explaining the debacle to someone who forgot how to take notes. Still awaiting a reply from RCCL. I did not post this before for fear of being attacked by the people who seem to love cruising and were not on my ship during the 1/16/05 cruise aboard MOS to West. Carib.

I think since it was named after the mysterious virus that spread rapidly in Norwalk, Ohio, that we should blame all of those darn Norwalkians!! (oops I'm from Ohio and not far away from there) hehehehe

The "24 hour flu" that many of us in the Northwest/Ohio Valley talk about is probably what is diagnosed as Norwalk Virus. I've had it a few times in my life! I would expect by going to a condensed area like a movie theater, a cruise ship, a ball game, anywhere that you spend hours touching many times touched items there is going to be many viruses spread rapidly. What is the incubation period of Norwalk? If that poster go it within 12 hours of the ship and it was a major group and was NOT food poisoning, I would bet that a food server or bus shuttle or something prior to the cruise actually was where they were all exposed. You know airplanes are the #1 best way of contracting colds and flu? All that recirculated air in a close contact with a vehicle used dozens of times every day...imagine the chance of one flight attendant passing her germs onto everyone who flies with her that day? And I wouldn't blame the workers on these cruises either, it could also be the dock guys loading stuff onto your ship, heck it could even be the security guy as you step into the RCCL port entrance that checks your ID! It's public contact everywhere that continues to spread this virus, not cruise ships themselves.

Perhaps we should all shut ourselves into our homes and never come out! That would solve the problem, wouldn't it?

:)

okatie Jack ~ I was sorry to hear of your experience on Grand Cayman. I was on the cruise that week also. We booked a tour on our own and it turned out great. We went snorkeling with the rays, went to Coral Gardens and the Barrier Reef. I have never snorkeled in my life, but my family and I didn't have the problems that you mentioned. We were out for about four hours and had a wonderful time. I don't understand how we could both be on the same cruise, the same location (Grand Caymen - Sting Ray City in this situation), the same weather....but come away with completely different experiences.

Most people on these boards do not 'attack' - I think the majority get upset when there is so much hoopla about getting compensation out of the cruise line somehow. You mentioned the word 'epidemic' .... I don't know about you, but since we have come back from the cruise I can not tell you how many people are sick. It would be easier for me to do a head count of who is actually NOT sick. It's called the flu, a cold, sinus infections, food poisoning, a bug, virus, bacterial, germs, the blues, LIFE. And these sick people have not been on a cruise lately.

Bottom line - cruise lines HAVE to report illnesses. Can you imagine if your local mall, school, church, theatre, .... had to report any of these illnesses? If a restaurant had to report illnesses that have effected any of their customers within a week or ten days of their visit, that would put most of them out of business. All we are asking people to do is calm down and think rationally. Life happens, weather happens....is it really in the cruise lines jurisdiction to be responsible for all of it?

okatie Jack ~ I was sorry to hear of your experience on Grand Cayman. I was on the cruise that week also. We booked a tour on our own and it turned out great. We went snorkeling with the rays, went to Coral Gardens and the Barrier Reef. I have never snorkeled in my life, but my family and I didn't have the problems that you mentioned. We were out for about four hours and had a wonderful time. I don't understand how we could both be on the same cruise, the same location (Grand Caymen - Sting Ray City in this situation), the same weather....but come away with completely different experiences.

Most people on these boards do not 'attack' - I think the majority get upset when there is so much hoopla about getting compensation out of the cruise line somehow. You mentioned the word 'epidemic' .... I don't know about you, but since we have come back from the cruise I can not tell you how many people are sick. It would be easier for me to do a head count of who is actually NOT sick. It's called the flu, a cold, sinus infections, food poisoning, a bug, virus, bacterial, germs, the blues, LIFE. And these sick people have not been on a cruise lately.

Bottom line - cruise lines HAVE to report illnesses. Can you imagine if your local mall, school, church, theatre, .... had to report any of these illnesses? If a restaurant had to report illnesses that have effected any of their customers within a week or ten days of their visit, that would put most of them out of business. All we are asking people to do is calm down and think rationally. Life happens, weather happens....is it really in the cruise lines jurisdiction to be responsible for all of it?

AMEN!!!! Seems that some of these people want the cruiselines to be responsible for everything!!! The water, the weather, sickness, etc. It's the one thing I can not stand about these boards is all the CONSTANT whinning, and the "it's their fault" mentality about EVERYTHING!!!

Your fellow passengers who refuse to practice good hygiene, or report illness, or board when they are sick ARE the ones to blame!

It's the chance you take people! If you are not willing to risk any of this, DON'T GO! Go to the mountains!

If you are looking at life through a magnifying glass, then you will always find SOMETHING to complain about!!:rolleyes:

Oh, no you can't go to the mountains, risk free. You can get Giardia (from the water) much, much worse than Norwalk. Or better yet, you can get altitude sickness. Or you can be hiking and get dehydrated or heat-stroked. Or you can get eaten up by a mountain lion.

Now, there. Doesn't cruising sound sooooo much better?

Elaine

Java Bean,

I was forwarded this link by a friend. I had never been on here before, but I was on the cruise and I was sick, along with my whole family.

It seems as though you are having trouble keeping straight on whether or not you, yourself were sick on this cruise. On Jan 31 you wrote on a thread titled 'compensation for non-sick on Mariner 1/16' that you were NOT sick and on this thread you are saying you were sick. Which is is? Or does that depend on which thread you are on?

Archived