Cannes-what to do

jaxx48

Hi,

we will be in Cannes when on our next Ventura cruise (NO13) and wondered if anyone can advise re what to do -should we go to Nice or to Monte Carlo? Like a little bit of walking, pretty scenery, a little bit of shopping and a nice cuppa in a good quality cafe, hubby likes to take photos but imagine both are quite scenic

any tips greatly recieved:)

I like Cannes, but would probably head for Nice in the morning, to catch the wonderful fruit and flower market (it finishes as lunch time), then perhaps go back to Cannes and wander around there in the afternoon.

The train is the best bet from Cannes to Nice (don't even think about the bus, which takes forever), but there is about a 20 minute walk from the railway station to the Old Town, which is where most places of interest are situated: there is the alternative of catching the tram, which has a stop two or three minutes from the station, and goes down to the Old Town.

We were due to go to Cannes as well on a Med cruise in 2007, never got off the ship despite a beautiful hot day....sea swells meant the tenders couldn't be lowered, I was so disappointed. We had a trip to Monte Carlo booked, but ended up on a sunbed around the pool looking out on Antibes!

We were in Cannes last year off the IOTS and had planned on the train to Monte Carlo but as this was towards the end of the cruise we were tired out and couldnt face the journey. We had been to Monte Carlo many years back so we were not to dissapointed.

Instead we followed a walking trail on a map given by the ship. It took about 2 hours and went along the front past where the film festival is and then through the shops and up to the viewpoint through the winding street.

However, if you have never been to Monte Carlo then go, its amazing.

I agree, Monte Carlo is fab. The atmosphere is brilliant and the people watching very interesting!

We've been to Cannes twice now and both times have just wandered along the long street forgotten the actual name as my husband always refers to it as the Croissant! I cant get past that at the moment!! It takes you past the film festival theatre and the handprints of the famous, the designer shops and hotels of the stars!

• 1 month later...

thanks for advice-think will go off to monte carlo as havent done that-getting excited now as only 1 week to go and really looking forward to a bigger ship as we have only been on the 1500 passenger sized ones so far.

We were there last month on Ventura and we never bothered with any organised trips and just spent the day exploring Cannes its self , it is a lovely little town with plenty to see in its own right and it is literally a five minute walk from where the tender boat drops you off. Hope you enjoy Ventura , she is a lovely ship that caters for all tastes , she is big , very big infact and that fact maybe does not suit everybody but we loved it , enjoy the cruise.

Hello there, I am also new to this website and am not even sure if Iam going about this in the right way, but have been dipping in and out all day and you seem to know quite a lot about the Ventura and her trips , we can not decide what to do at Florence/Pisa. Could you advise whether to go for P&O trip or do it ourself ?? Also if you have been on Med Cruise, how long does the ship berth at Barcelona ??

Hello,

We're also on this cruise - in a weeks time we'll be sailing yay!!

We haven't decided what to do in Cannes yet. I would love to go to Monte Carlo, my parents went at Easter when on the Oceana and said it was great, but I think we'll probably just stay in Cannes and explore as not been before. Only booked one trip and that's to Rome - we'll do the rest ourselves I think.

Ventura is a great ship - very friendly and lots of fun. I personally didn't find her too big and we soon found our way around after a couple of days.

Very excited now . . . .

Bec x

Have to admit to not being overly enamoured with Cannes to be honest, but that was possibly because we had just got back from Monte Carlo.

Definitely worth catching a train if possible into Monte Carlo, as the railway station exit puts you right into the heart of Monaco.

Wife has also stayed in Nice and said that it's definitely worth visiting, so either way, Nice or Monaco, you can't lose really.

Scrozuk

Archived