A review of the Azura and Naming Celebration

LibraLass41

AZURA - The Naming Ceremony. 10th April 2010.

Azura, a designer boutique ‘hotel at sea’ it says in the brochure. Was she? Is she any different than her sister Ventura? Well, Yes she is….There are a few obvious differences, some good some not so, a shame that there is no covered pool on this ship for example. I love a swim, and on the cloudy and poor weather days sailing across the bay or in the Baltics or Norway a covered pool is always a bonus. There is also no indoor cinema, again a very nice extra to have on a poor weather sea day…so lets hope Azura is mainly going to warm sunny places like the Med, Caribbean and Canaries.

Azura will be the first P&O ship to have a outdoor cinema instead, a ‘Sea Screen’, so that will be nice on a balmy warm evening I expect. I liked the Chronicles magazine and book shop. How nice now to be able to buy a magazine for those sunny sea days! Although sadly as yet no men’s magazines, but the assistant did say they would try and get some in after requests were made for them. A first for P&O ships I believe. There is also ofcourse a wonderful library stocked with brand new books including travel books, autobiographies and fiction. Azura also has The Glass House, a upmarket wine bar with wines chosen in consultation with wine expert Olly Smith. Wine can be bought by the glass in here, poured by knowledgeable sommeliers. Michelin-starred chef Atul Kochhar has a supplement restaurant onboard too called Sindhu, described as fine dining Indian Cuisine with a British Twist.

This ship seems to be aimed more at adult market and Ventura more for the families but both are family friendly ships and both have nurseries onboard. Azura being first in the fleet to offer inside and outside single staterooms. P&O seem to be aiming to provide a ship for everyone, especially with the new small Adonia coming soon to replace the adult only elderly Artemis which leaves the fleet at the end of the cruising season. The brochure says no ’sisters are exactly the same’ and having been on Ventura and Azura all- be- it for a short amount of time, I agree they are not the same atall.

The décor is different from Ventura, the colours of lime green and burgundy evident in the Atrium and cabins, we had burgundy in our balcony cabin, yet others on the same deck and grade were green, so that’s a nice touch.

The cabin. I had a balcony cabin to stay in for this event, a few differences from the other ship cabins in the fleet I noticed - we now seem to have The White Room bathroom toiletries, replacing Temple Spa. The mugs on the tea tray were very big white ones, great for that first cuppa looking out to sea on the balcony, and I noticed Lyons rich roast ground coffee in a one-cup bag which was a new item in the drinks sachet wooden tray. The lights for the cabin are activated by the cabin card, no notices to explain this, you have to work it out for yourself, just a plain white box by the door light switches, I suppose this is to save energy and ensure lights are only on when you are in the cabin which seems a very good idea.

The size of the cabin was fine, nice art work and a flat screen TV. I liked the en-suite too. We had a cubicle shower, and it seemed roomy enough, compared to a Oceana balcony for example, which was very small. The walk-in wardrobes are a great idea (the same as on Ventura).

Anyway, enough about the ship, this review is about the naming….

When we arrived at Ocean Terminal, and went to the arrivals lounge. We sat and waited to board and a nice touch was all of a sudden, a ‘Officer’ who was walking through the waiting area burst into song, he was of course a singer in turned out, probably from the entertainment team, another chap also sang and a girl all in Officers uniform.

After a strict security check - my first time to have a full body search (external only!!) and my luggage turned out of its case and looked through (my styling brush looked like a knife apparently! ) when it went through the scanner, we eventually got onboard. I think it was 3.30pm (check in started at 3pm). We headed for our cabin straight away to leave our hand luggage, as we had a 4pm meet with Carol Marlow (P&O Managing Director) who had kindly agreed to meet us ‘top 12 posters on the P&O community chat site‘. Oh dear! Cabin door doesn’t open, look around to see other people having trouble opening their doors as well. Eventually a steward appears and lets us in, but we have to go down to the reception later to activate the card. We leave the luggage and head straight for the Planet Bar up on deck 18 for our short meet with Carol Marlow.

Ms Marlow meets us along with Elliott the Media Manager who arranged for us P&O Cruise Community top posters to come to the event. Carol asks us if we like Azura, a silence….as we have all been onboard about 15mins, and that was just the trip up to our cabins and along to the bar, so we can’t really answer that one…but agree she looks a lovely ship. She shakes hands with every one of us and says nice to meet you, then tells us about the ship. Some questions are asked about itineraries and new suggestions for new places to go. I also asked one question 'Will P&O ever bring ever back some mid range 70-80,000 tonnes ships into the fleet again or will they always be the size of Ventura/Azura ? And she said Azura maybe the last one of this size for quite a while and they may well come back to Aurora/Arcadia sized ships depending on the needs and wants of their customers...so you never know. After the 15min meet we thanked Carol for inviting us, and she went on to a press conference.

Then it was time to explore the ship. We only had about a hour or so. I took some photos of the ship, here is a link to them:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AzuraApril10#5458865851795395218

Then we decided to have afternoon tea, unbelievably my first ever afternoon tea after 10 cruises, I never attend these as I don’t like to eat food that close to dinner, even though we are on 2nd sitting. As we don’t go into dinner tonight until 9pm I decide to give it a try, and enjoy the savouries, having 2, and there was also finger sandwiches, and assorted tiny pasties , cakes and scones, and of course plentiful cups of tea!.

Back To the cabin then to change for the formal naming event party. I wear a black & white dress with gold sheer wrap (as it’s black, white and gold dress code), I meet Elliot the Media Manager outside the Planet bar, and he invites us for drinks with his wife, so champagne is the order of the day at the free bar. Then onto the Gala reception, with plentiful canapés and drinks. Ventura was still in dock and sailed later than usual at about 7.30pm , it was wonderful to see these two ‘sister-ships’ together, as she sailed past Azura gave her some horn blasts.

The naming ceremony then began with Sir Trevor McDonald doing the introduction, followed by Carol Marlow giving a speech, and then there was dancing first from boys from the London ballet school, in sailors outfits and then dancers doing different dances from a ‘movie dance theme’ for example Elvis was on the sea screen in the movie jail-house rock and below the dancers were dressed in the same jail -outfits doing the same dance.

Darcey Bussell then came on stage and named the ship, and then we had streamers from above and fireworks over the ship. As the fireworks faded we all went on into dinner.

The menu was a fixed one, and we luckily liked all that was offered:

Duo of Loch Fyne Smoked Salmon and Scottish Langoustine

-

Leek and Mushroom Veloute (soup!)

-

Rack of West Country Lamb

-

Chocolate Delicacies (oooh even a pot of runny white and dark chocolate with a chocolate spoon.)

The dinner service was rather slow, we had our soup at 10.30pm… but I expect the new waiting and kitchen staff are still finding their feet, and we all waited patiently and enjoyed what was offered.

We had a full guest list given to us so here are some of the people invited….

Who went ?

There were VIP's and minor? celebs depending on your point of view, and a few big celebs - depending on your point of view. !

First the Celebs (or VIP's) !

Sir Trevor McDonald

Darcey Bussell CBE

Johnny Vegas

Kim Woodburn(how clean is your house- the blonde one with the hair bun!)

Helen Worth (Gail from Corrie)

Esther Ranzen CBE

Judith Chalmers

Sarah Kennedy MBE Broadcaster

Angela Griffin (ex Corrie, ) Now talkshow host and acts in other shows

Tom Chambers

Camilla Dallerup

Craig Revel Horwood

Emma Crosby - GMTV

Olly Smith Wine expert and has a bar on there -Glass House

Atul Kochhar -Michelin chef

Then there were P&O/carnival top execs..

Carol Marlow -Managing Director

David Dingle CBE

and other Managers ...

There were Food Writers,and Critics, Travel writers , Travel Agents, Lords, Baroness's, Dr's Etc, and people from businesses related to the building of Azura.

and the representatives of cruise chat sites such as Cruise Critic, Cruise.co.uk and P&O…

Darcey Bussell:

She was beautiful, elegant, delightful...and wore a red dress by Jasper Conran.

She was chosen as she epitomises glamour, sophistication and elegance ''all the qualities we are trying to achieve with Azura'' says Carol Marlow.... A perfect choice as Godmother for Azura. She didn’t make a speech, just named the ship and cut the clapperboard tape which launched the champagne, but everything went as it should and everyone enjoyed the party.

After strolling around the ship and watching a Annie Lennox Tribute singer, it was time for bed, and on our bed - a lovely surprise of Dartington Glasses in a presentation box with a blue wave design swirling around each flute.

In the morning we ate breakfast in the Peninsular Restaurant, and then it was time to reluctantly leave this fine beautiful ship. I would like to return someday soon.

Photos of the event can be found here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AzuraNamingCeremonyApril10#5458848738007850898

Really enjoyed reading your Review Sue.

The Photographs were lovely.

Our son telephoned me just before they sailed today. I was very envious as I could hear all the annoucements in the background. Roll on October when we do our first cruise with P&O. It looks similar to the Crown Princess we sailed on a few years ago but much more modern.

Great review and photos Sue. Soon be July 2nd and i will be able to see for myself it looks fantastic, which deck were you on and did you manage to see any on D deck cause thats where we are.

Martin

Having been on Ventura for a 16 night cruise and on Princess grand class ship's for 38 nights , I can see exactly why they have done away with the covered pool, The overhang from the roof covers put all the sunbeds into the shade, which meant that the open air pool's were over crowded, with the covered pool area sunbeds being hardy used, This way if the ship is sent to warm and sunny places it will free up a lot more space for sun beds around both pools, with some in the sun and shade, I do concur though if the ship sails to colder climates it would be a disadvantage.

Great review and photos Sue. Soon be July 2nd and i will be able to see for myself it looks fantastic, which deck were you on and did you manage to see any on D deck cause thats where we are.

Martin

I was on B deck, and looking down from balcony could see C and D jutting out. Here is a photo of the view from my balcony:

p1010219s.jpg

Having been on Ventura for a 16 night cruise and on Princess grand class ship's for 38 nights , I can see exactly why they have done away with the covered pool, The overhang from the roof covers put all the sunbeds into the shade, which meant that the open air pool's were over crowded, with the covered pool area sunbeds being hardy used, This way if the ship is sent to warm and sunny places it will free up a lot more space for sun beds around both pools, with some in the sun and shade, I do concur though if the ship sails to colder climates it would be a disadvantage.

Hi Mel

I am begining to think with the lack of a indoor cinema and covered pool, so therefore not much to do on poor-weather sea days, and the fact you say there will now be more sun bed space around pools, seems to suggest this ship is aiming for Caribbean or Med based fly cruising soon????

Hi Mel

I am begining to think with the lack of a indoor cinema and covered pool, so therefore not much to do on poor-weather sea days, and the fact you say there will now be more sun bed space around pools, seems to suggest this ship is aiming for Caribbean or Med based fly cruising soon????

Sue,

I was thinking the same as you, but you never really know what P & O have up their sleeves, they used to alternate Oriana and Aurora to do the 21 night Caribbean cruise at Christmas as you know Aurora has a covered pool and Oriana doesn't, It was great doing the cruise on Aurora because you could still have swim on the chilly days going out of Southampton and as you started to reach home again. Mind you they are using the Arcadia again this for the Christmas cruise, so it could be because she has covered pool too.

It was funny because of the sun bed problem we had on the Ventura Christmas cruise the ship being full to the rafters. I did say to Rob that the covered pool area was a waste of space in hot Climates.

I hope one day P & O place a ship in the Med, We would to be able to fly to ship its means Rob doesn't have to lose so much time off work, that's why we went on or Med Cruise with Princess they do a 7 night and 12 night Med fly cruise which suits us just fine.

movies under the stars is good too, they give you blanket if its chilly and bring the popcorn around.

When we retire that's a different matter we will go from Southampton so no luggage worries then :D

[quote=Single Cruiser;24002309]Not much privacy on those balconies then? :confused:

That photo is deceiving as that is only half of the C deck balcony !!!!!!! the other half is under B deck balcony so giving you shelter when it rains and shade when the sun is overhead....absolutely brilliant and always the deck of choice for us on Ventura or Azura. :cool:

Having had the privilege of a day visit to Azura (courtesy of P&O Portunus Club) I can echo much of what Sue says in her review of the ship.

There are a number of plus points as compared to Ventura (on which we have sailed) and a few niggles (in no particular order, as they say) :

- the outdoor cinema is an exciting idea (but I understand the worry over loss of inside cinema)

- The Seventeen restaurant is brilliant - lovely location, with option of outside tables and a great menu. There is a charge (£20 I think) to eat here.

- The Glass House wine bar is delightful in decor and comfort. Although the wines aren't cheap, it's a great idea to be able to try out quality wines without having to commit to a bottle

- the Retreat area is great - although I worry that the charge is high (£10 for a half day I think) and it seems strange that the only adult-only pool is in this area and therefore has to be paid for. However child-tolerant one might be, family pools can get unusable at busy times.

- the dancing area in the Atrium is a great concept and we look forward to experiencing how that space can be utilised in the evenings, with live music.

- The Sindhu speciality restaurant is lovely - the menu looks great and the canapes served during our visit were outstanding. A charge for this, of course.

- The Library may be stocked with new books, but there aren't many of them for a ship this size. As compared to Oriana / Aurora, it's very small and as compared to QM2 it's miniscule. And just compare the space given over to the library as compared to the acres of display shelving given to the photographic service. But of course that's a revenue earning operation.....

- We had lunch on board in the Oriental - the service was swift and professional, so maybe the earlier poster was just unlucky with her table staff. We also thought the food was better quality and better presented than on Ventura - but of course they will have been making a special effort to impress.

- we felt that the Promenade deck was narrower than on Ventura - that probably can't be true (same basic structure in both ships), but it did appear that anyone sitting in the (upright, not reclining) chairs with feet stuck out on that deck were in danger of obstructing people walking past. Also should be said that the Promenade deck isn't wrap-around on this ship, so you can't do full ship circuits for exercise....

- we would give an outstanding recommendation to the Olly Smith selected Sauvignon Blanc, which was one of the choices at lunchtime. A delicious house wine.

- we visited one of the standard balcony cabins - the equivalent of what we had had on Ventura. Once again, this should have been identical in area, but somehow it felt smaller / more crowded. Maybe our memories are going.... But we did find the view down to the "posher" deluxe balcony cabins was exactly as shown in the photo in an earlier posting. When on Ventura we were very conscious that people coming out onto the balconies below us, felt very conspicuous and lacked privacy, particularly on occasions when they had a meal served outside. Yes, of course they can hide back in the covered area - but what's the point of having a balcony if you can't sit out close to the sea in comfort. We spoke to some people who had had one of those balconies on Ventura and they said that they would not choose that cabin grade again - even though the standard balcony cabins are smaller and their balconies are also smaller. They also commented that there was a problem (for some) with people above smoking and ash blowing down onto their balcony.

All-in-all we were very impressed - Azura has a lovely "feel" and will be a great success, on our opinion. We look forward to sailing on her in due course.

Also should be said that the Promenade deck isn't wrap-around on this ship, so you can't do full ship circuits for exercise....

Can I just check this?

On Ventura (and as I understand it, all the other 'Grand' class ships), you can walk right round the ship by going up a flight of steps near the bow on the Promenade deck, walking round the bow section (right to the very point of the bow in fact) then back down the steps on the other side of the ship down to the Promenade deck. We did exactly this walk many times on Ventura - we never found any restriction regarding access to it (albeit in calm weather).

Is this bow 'promenade' not present on Azura?

Sorry, didn't make that clear.

We didn't actually walk right round on Azura, but as the 2 ships are identical structure, we assume that you can indeed get round by going up the flights of stairs to the upper level forward, as on Ventura.

From experience the stairs are quite narrow and if one is intent on a brisk walk, the delay in going up and down them can be frustrating.

And of course there is a disadvantage for those with mobility problems.

'' We had lunch on board in the Oriental - the service was swift and professional, so maybe the earlier poster was just unlucky with her table staff. We also thought the food was better quality and better presented than on Ventura - but of course they will have been making a special effort to impress.''

Hi Chris

I have read that lunch went well on the ship visits, you were lucky.

The whole dinner sitting on the naming ceremony had very slow serving problems not just my table. We sat down at 9pm, by 10pm we had our first course....salmon slices..... at 10.45 pm we had our soup. Some were by then feeling it was too late to digest a heavy meal and were worried we would all miss the entertainment laid on around the ship...I wanted to see the Annie Lennox tribute band supposed to start at 11pm!

We were served pleny of bottled water and wine, but the food took a lot longer to come. But when it did it was superb. By 11.30pm we had finished our sweet, and decided to forgo coffee and petit fours (which I later heard were chocolate covered strawberries and fudge). to go to the show.

I am sure this was just 'first time' hitches for the Kitchen, and practice will make perfect...someone has to be guinea pigs haha, so us and the maiden cruise will be it no doubt. The food was lovely,and no one really minded waiting.:)

The shows and entertainment around the ship was delayed by 3/4hr due to the serving delays, so we still got to see the Annie Lennox performance.

Not much privacy on those balconies then? :confused:

Thats the view others above will see, if you want privacy you would have to sit in the over-hang at the back of your balcony, but then would not have the sun.

So A or B decks for privacy, C,D,E, for sun bathing.....

I have been on the Lido deck, A deck and B deck on Grand glass ships, all of these deck are not over looked, you do get the sun as Jenny as says its only if the sun is directly over head that you are shaded for a while I spent many an hour on my balcony reading a book and sunbathing. If I book again I will give C deck try for the larger Balcony.

I have been on the Lido deck, A deck and B deck on Grand class ships, all of these deck are not over looked, you do get the sun as Jenny as says its only if the sun is directly over head that you are shaded for a while I spent many an hour on my balcony reading a book and sunbathing. If I book again I will give C deck try for the larger Balcony.

That should have read Grand class

Thats the view others above will see, if you want privacy you would have to sit in the over-hang at the back of your balcony, but then would not have the sun.

So A or B decks for privacy, C,D,E, for sun bathing.....

Sue, sorry to contradict but C does offer privacy and has the best of both worlds.

I promise you will wil be gutted if you choose an A or B balcony over a C.

Gerry

We had a C-deck balcony on Ventura over Christmas, it was certainly sunny and private enough for top-less sunbathing unless the neighbours actually stuck their heads round the dividing panel. I decided that was a risk they would have to take, ha ha!

We couldn't walk the circuit of the promenade deck as the stairs at the front where you have to go up, round and down again were roped off every time we tried.

Carol x

We had a C-deck balcony on Ventura over Christmas, it was certainly sunny and private enough for top-less sunbathing unless the neighbours actually stuck their heads round the dividing panel. I decided that was a risk they would have to take, ha ha!

We couldn't walk the circuit of the promenade deck as the stairs at the front where you have to go up, round and down again were roped off every time we tried.

Carol x

C and D deck balcony cabins on Azura are overlooked by B deck balcony cabins, as per the photograph, and probably overlooked by A deck cabins also.

If you want privacy, then you will need to be on the part of the balcony that is not overlooked, therefore in the shade, and if you want sun, and no privacy, then in the area overlooked by anyone standing at their balcony rail. You would not be overlooked if people on B deck were seated.

The balconies on B deck are smaller, but have privacy as they are not overlooked from A deck.

As for sticking your head around balcony partitions, surely, unless you are travelling together or have made friends next door, that is a no no?

AZURA - The Naming Ceremony. 10th April 2010.

Azura, a designer boutique ‘hotel at sea’ it says in the brochure. Was she? Is she any different than her sister Ventura? Well, Yes she is….There are a few obvious differences, some good some not so, a shame that there is no covered pool on this ship for example. I love a swim, and on the cloudy and poor weather days sailing across the bay or in the Baltics or Norway a covered pool is always a bonus. There is also no indoor cinema, again a very nice extra to have on a poor weather sea day…so lets hope Azura is mainly going to warm sunny places like the Med, Caribbean and Canaries.

Azura will be the first P&O ship to have a outdoor cinema instead, a ‘Sea Screen’, so that will be nice on a balmy warm evening I expect. I liked the Chronicles magazine and book shop. How nice now to be able to buy a magazine for those sunny sea days! Although sadly as yet no men’s magazines, but the assistant did say they would try and get some in after requests were made for them. A first for P&O ships I believe. There is also ofcourse a wonderful library stocked with brand new books including travel books, autobiographies and fiction. Azura also has The Glass House, a upmarket wine bar with wines chosen in consultation with wine expert Olly Smith. Wine can be bought by the glass in here, poured by knowledgeable sommeliers. Michelin-starred chef Atul Kochhar has a supplement restaurant onboard too called Sindhu, described as fine dining Indian Cuisine with a British Twist.

This ship seems to be aimed more at adult market and Ventura more for the families but both are family friendly ships and both have nurseries onboard. Azura being first in the fleet to offer inside and outside single staterooms. P&O seem to be aiming to provide a ship for everyone, especially with the new small Adonia coming soon to replace the adult only elderly Artemis which leaves the fleet at the end of the cruising season. The brochure says no ’sisters are exactly the same’ and having been on Ventura and Azura all- be- it for a short amount of time, I agree they are not the same atall.

The décor is different from Ventura, the colours of lime green and burgundy evident in the Atrium and cabins, we had burgundy in our balcony cabin, yet others on the same deck and grade were green, so that’s a nice touch.

The cabin. I had a balcony cabin to stay in for this event, a few differences from the other ship cabins in the fleet I noticed - we now seem to have The White Room bathroom toiletries, replacing Temple Spa. The mugs on the tea tray were very big white ones, great for that first cuppa looking out to sea on the balcony, and I noticed Lyons rich roast ground coffee in a one-cup bag which was a new item in the drinks sachet wooden tray. The lights for the cabin are activated by the cabin card, no notices to explain this, you have to work it out for yourself, just a plain white box by the door light switches, I suppose this is to save energy and ensure lights are only on when you are in the cabin which seems a very good idea.

The size of the cabin was fine, nice art work and a flat screen TV. I liked the en-suite too. We had a cubicle shower, and it seemed roomy enough, compared to a Oceana balcony for example, which was very small. The walk-in wardrobes are a great idea (the same as on Ventura).

Anyway, enough about the ship, this review is about the naming….

When we arrived at Ocean Terminal, and went to the arrivals lounge. We sat and waited to board and a nice touch was all of a sudden, a ‘Officer’ who was walking through the waiting area burst into song, he was of course a singer in turned out, probably from the entertainment team, another chap also sang and a girl all in Officers uniform.

After a strict security check - my first time to have a full body search (external only!!) and my luggage turned out of its case and looked through (my styling brush looked like a knife apparently! ) when it went through the scanner, we eventually got onboard. I think it was 3.30pm (check in started at 3pm). We headed for our cabin straight away to leave our hand luggage, as we had a 4pm meet with Carol Marlow (P&O Managing Director) who had kindly agreed to meet us ‘top 12 posters on the P&O community chat site‘. Oh dear! Cabin door doesn’t open, look around to see other people having trouble opening their doors as well. Eventually a steward appears and lets us in, but we have to go down to the reception later to activate the card. We leave the luggage and head straight for the Planet Bar up on deck 18 for our short meet with Carol Marlow.

Ms Marlow meets us along with Elliott the Media Manager who arranged for us P&O Cruise Community top posters to come to the event. Carol asks us if we like Azura, a silence….as we have all been onboard about 15mins, and that was just the trip up to our cabins and along to the bar, so we can’t really answer that one…but agree she looks a lovely ship. She shakes hands with every one of us and says nice to meet you, then tells us about the ship. Some questions are asked about itineraries and new suggestions for new places to go. I also asked one question 'Will P&O ever bring ever back some mid range 70-80,000 tonnes ships into the fleet again or will they always be the size of Ventura/Azura ? And she said Azura maybe the last one of this size for quite a while and they may well come back to Aurora/Arcadia sized ships depending on the needs and wants of their customers...so you never know. After the 15min meet we thanked Carol for inviting us, and she went on to a press conference.

Then it was time to explore the ship. We only had about a hour or so. I took some photos of the ship, here is a link to them:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AzuraApril10#5458865851795395218

Then we decided to have afternoon tea, unbelievably my first ever afternoon tea after 10 cruises, I never attend these as I don’t like to eat food that close to dinner, even though we are on 2nd sitting. As we don’t go into dinner tonight until 9pm I decide to give it a try, and enjoy the savouries, having 2, and there was also finger sandwiches, and assorted tiny pasties , cakes and scones, and of course plentiful cups of tea!.

Back To the cabin then to change for the formal naming event party. I wear a black & white dress with gold sheer wrap (as it’s black, white and gold dress code), I meet Elliot the Media Manager outside the Planet bar, and he invites us for drinks with his wife, so champagne is the order of the day at the free bar. Then onto the Gala reception, with plentiful canapés and drinks. Ventura was still in dock and sailed later than usual at about 7.30pm , it was wonderful to see these two ‘sister-ships’ together, as she sailed past Azura gave her some horn blasts.

The naming ceremony then began with Sir Trevor McDonald doing the introduction, followed by Carol Marlow giving a speech, and then there was dancing first from boys from the London ballet school, in sailors outfits and then dancers doing different dances from a ‘movie dance theme’ for example Elvis was on the sea screen in the movie jail-house rock and below the dancers were dressed in the same jail -outfits doing the same dance.

Darcey Bussell then came on stage and named the ship, and then we had streamers from above and fireworks over the ship. As the fireworks faded we all went on into dinner.

The menu was a fixed one, and we luckily liked all that was offered:

Duo of Loch Fyne Smoked Salmon and Scottish Langoustine

-

Leek and Mushroom Veloute (soup!)

-

Rack of West Country Lamb

-

Chocolate Delicacies (oooh even a pot of runny white and dark chocolate with a chocolate spoon.)

The dinner service was rather slow, we had our soup at 10.30pm… but I expect the new waiting and kitchen staff are still finding their feet, and we all waited patiently and enjoyed what was offered.

We had a full guest list given to us so here are some of the people invited….

Who went ?

There were VIP's and minor? celebs depending on your point of view, and a few big celebs - depending on your point of view. !

First the Celebs (or VIP's) !

Sir Trevor McDonald

Darcey Bussell CBE

Johnny Vegas

Kim Woodburn(how clean is your house- the blonde one with the hair bun!)

Helen Worth (Gail from Corrie)

Esther Ranzen CBE

Judith Chalmers

Sarah Kennedy MBE Broadcaster

Angela Griffin (ex Corrie, ) Now talkshow host and acts in other shows

Tom Chambers

Camilla Dallerup

Craig Revel Horwood

Emma Crosby - GMTV

Olly Smith Wine expert and has a bar on there -Glass House

Atul Kochhar -Michelin chef

Then there were P&O/carnival top execs..

Carol Marlow -Managing Director

David Dingle CBE

and other Managers ...

There were Food Writers,and Critics, Travel writers , Travel Agents, Lords, Baroness's, Dr's Etc, and people from businesses related to the building of Azura.

and the representatives of cruise chat sites such as Cruise Critic, Cruise.co.uk and P&O…

Darcey Bussell:

She was beautiful, elegant, delightful...and wore a red dress by Jasper Conran.

She was chosen as she epitomises glamour, sophistication and elegance ''all the qualities we are trying to achieve with Azura'' says Carol Marlow.... A perfect choice as Godmother for Azura. She didn’t make a speech, just named the ship and cut the clapperboard tape which launched the champagne, but everything went as it should and everyone enjoyed the party.

After strolling around the ship and watching a Annie Lennox Tribute singer, it was time for bed, and on our bed - a lovely surprise of Dartington Glasses in a presentation box with a blue wave design swirling around each flute.

In the morning we ate breakfast in the Peninsular Restaurant, and then it was time to reluctantly leave this fine beautiful ship. I would like to return someday soon.

Photos of the event can be found here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AzuraNamingCeremonyApril10#5458848738007850898

Thanks for a great review and photos. We are sailing on Azura on 10th May and some reviews have been less than positive. Yours was great and made me feel excited again. We usually sail on QM2 but Azura looks so beautiful that we decided to have a change. Broaden our horizons so to speak. Really appreciate your honest, positive comments. Regards Pat

Archived