Weird gym question...

So I'm going on Oasis in May.. and I know that I'll overeat so I plan on using the gym (eliptical, treadmill). Problem... tennis shoes are the least of my worries and probably will not fit in my suitcase. I wear flip flops on a daily basis and can even run in them. Do you think anyone would oblige to me wearing flipflops on the eliptical??

This probably sounds dumb, but my mom has walked on treadmill in flipflops at our gym here on nights she only intended on doing yoga so she had no tennis shoes.

So has anyone done this or seen anyone doing it?? Just wondering if it is common or if there are signs that specify... so I know whether to try to fit those big ol' shoes in.

I worked at a gym in college. We were very strict about shoes. Flip flops would be a major no-no. Even if they don't have signs specifically saying what you can/can't wear (and I would really think that they would indeed have a sign saying that proper footwear was required), I wouldn't feel safe. Even on the elliptical you would need some kind of good support on your feet.

Do what I do... wear your tennis shoes on the plane and onto the ship, and pack your flip flops, which will take up considerably less space. You can change once you get to your cabin. Yeah, it kind of takes away from that carefree feeling, but it's a pretty decent solution.

Gym! There is one of those on the ship?:eek:

I get on my machine/clothes hanger at home in my house shoes. If there are no saftey rules concerning shoes and you are comfortable in flip flops, then flip flop away.:)

Good solution... but I hate tennis shoes! I never ever wear them unless I'm at the gym... not even casual ones. So wearing them with capris or something on the plane just wouldn't sit well with me... especially since you get your first pictures in the terminal. Such a girl I know!

Maybe I'll just take a few laps around the ship in my flipflops each morning then.

I'm a fitness fanatic. Do not go to the gym in flip flops, crocs, sandals, or anything else but running shoes/sneakers. They are totally unsafe.

I agree also. If you do not want to pack sneakers then wait till you get home and do the gym. Can you imagine falling and getting hurt on your first day at sea :eek: Oh I would much rather put on the 2 or 3 pounds and take it off when I get home!!

what type of carry on are you doing? Just wear your tennis shoes to the airport and onto the plane, then use some type of small bag that you had in your carry on to stuff your shoes in once on the plane. Push the bag under the seat and slip on your flip flops. Once you are clear of the airport, it doesn't matter if you have any extra bag

When we were on AOS last May we walked into the gym to see what equipment they had. Just to try something out I got on the eliptical and was told I needed to be in the correct shoes, had sandals on. I did have them with me but at the time I wasn't planning on working out. The gym is nice though and went several times.

Flip flops are not intended for the gym. Besides being the worst thing for feet in any situation, you could easily stub your toe on a machine or somebody else could drop something onto your foot.

Take care of your feet people. I know from experience that they don't recover as quickly or as well as the lesser used parts of your body.

Archived