A good OBC

niceneasy

I would offer one more piece of advice with respect to choosing a TA.

Choose one connected to an agency that does some volume, especially on your cruise line of preference. Those agencies often get special "group" rates that translate into savings - sometimes free gratuities, sometimes lower price or increased OBCs.

Recently we booked Oceania Marina the day bookings opened (what a frenzy) - some people were calling Oceania directly to be sure they would get what they wanted - our TA's agency had a group of staterooms for the cruise set aside by Oceania so we knew we would get our preference and we did not have to participate in the frenzy.

Also, some agencies have more clout with certain cruise lines than others and get get better deals - I know this is true for NCL (a line I would not sail) and Regent. The agencies that do lots of business with those lines can often pass significant savings to the consumer.

It's really a matter of doing some research and educating yourself. I agree that service is very important and that must factor into your decision regarding where to take your business.

I booked through a large big box store in Kirkland because the price was exact same as Celebrity online but they gave me an OBC of $332. I just paid final deposit and price had dropped $300 on my cruise (which they pointed out to me and called Celebrity to ask for adjustment). My OBC was now reduced to $308 on my final paperwork so it's CLEARLY EXACTLY 8% from that particular TA. They also told me that Celebrity does not allow them to discount their cruises so offering the OBC is their way of doing it.

I did pay $25 change fee which is why I know some people like X direct BUT I'm still $583 ahead of where I would have been on my own. ($300 discount plus $308 OBC minus $25 fee). I include the discount because I don't have the gumption to continuously check prices like many here.

I am not charged a change fee

But your "big box store" did what a good TA should do - monitor bookings for booked clients and call when there is a price reduction.

My TA monitors prices for her clients and alerts them when there is a reduction. Even though she gets less money if I pay less, she more than makes up for it in repeat business and referrals. It's a service business.

How times have changed: We went on 12-night Western Med cruise for our honeymoon in 1998 (before the internet became widely available). Paid $2,500 pp for an ocean view room not including airfare. Got a bottle of wine from our TA as a thank you. :eek:

Our first cruise and Honeymoon '83...we had an inside and..top and lower bunks and our cost wasn't much less than yours....memories.

Most I have gotten TA OBC $800.

I used to be a part owner of a travel agency in the early 80's. At that time cruiselines paid a 10 % commission to travel agents. Actually it went to the agency and the agents were paid a salary. I suppose with all of these online agencies things may be different now. I still doubt if the commission is more than ten percent though. So lets assume it is only ten percent then the agent would just be giving you her total commission which I find rather unlikely. Most I ever received from a travel agent was a bottle of wine or flowers in the cabin in my ten or so cruises. I hope a current agent follows up on my posting. Just curious is all.

JoAnne

My total cost was $1900+ and we received $225 OBC, so roughly 12%. But I think $50 of it was paid by celebrity, and $100 was paid by American express. So only $75 came directly from the TA. But, if I hadn't gone through the TA, I don't think I would have gotten any of it.

bikewr1972,

It all sounds nice.. but in actuality there is no FREE LUNCH etc.. etc...

FREE Insurance is NOT FREE They do not make a commission unless they have a Licensed Insurance Rep. with there firm then that Agents gets any commissions given them.

On Insurance too make sure the Policy Underwritter is in good financial shape in your State of Main Residence. That the Policy is Primary ..

VOLUME T-Agencies are great if they do share the Co-Op revenues and savings etc... the more cruises they book the higher amounts shared from the Cruise Lines to them.

Ask if your agency you want to book with is an ASTA Member. That requires a 1/2 MILLION Dollar Bond to be put by them! So yes you know they can't just walk away...eh...

I send out my bids when each time of the year I and / or we go on cruises.

I compare what the final cost basis is. Yes that good old bottom line ______ XXX ;)

Always do your own due dilly that way you know what your getting , how, from whom, when, where and why.

It is your monies which are being spent.:D

Other possible deals might include pre-paid gratuities or free insurance which might be the best deal if the TA gets a commission for the insurance sale. ( They give you a higher value without going into their own pocket). Explore the options with them :).

I am not charged a change fee

But your "big box store" did what a good TA should do - monitor bookings for booked clients and call when there is a price reduction.

My TA monitors prices for her clients and alerts them when there is a reduction. Even though she gets less money if I pay less, she more than makes up for it in repeat business and referrals. It's a service business.

We are also not charged a fee for changes. If you want to take advantage of price drops, this criterium is essential. Our TA does not monitor for price drops on the grounds that does such good business that she's too busy. She'd be spending most of her time checking prices every day. While software exists that does that (another forbidden topic), I personally don't mind checking for price drops myself-- it's a nice adrenaline rush when you find one. I also would be paranoid about not getting the message.

We also cover ourselves with the yearly American Express travel medical... I wouldn't travel with out it.

Cruie4ever, your secret identity is out! You're really Karl Malden! Loved you in "The Streets of San Francisco!":D

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds like a good OBC is in the range of 8 to 12%, at least on the cruise fare, or some posters state on the total amount. Has me wondering how that is affordable if the TA receives approximately 10%.

The most that I have ever received was about 9% of the total cost. I recently spent about $1250 and was only offered $25 OBC from the TA after I had asked for an incentive. It was explained that this was a special resident rate offered by RCCL and there was really no wiggle room for OBC. Why should it matter whether it was full price without promotion? Am I correct in assuming that all that should matter to the TA is total cost? Isn't that what the commission is based upon?

The most that I have ever received was about 9% of the total cost. I recently spent about $1250 and was only offered $25 OBC from the TA after I had asked for an incentive. It was explained that this was a special resident rate offered by RCCL and there was really no wiggle room for OBC. Why should it matter whether it was full price without promotion? Am I correct in assuming that all that should matter to the TA is total cost? Isn't that what the commission is based upon?

Basically the total cost is what matters however keep in mind that the port charges and tax are a fixed price regardless of the price of the cruise. If this is a 7 day itinerary then those charges will be over $500 of that price leaving the amount that the commission is based on quite a bit smaller. You could be talking about a commission of somewhere around $100 or so to the agency.

• 3 weeks later...

May I ask one question? My TA, whom I have used for years for other travel, quotes me exactly what I see on the Celebrity website. I am somewhat insulted, because I have worked with him for such a long time. Is he taking advantage of my lack of knowledge about cruise fares, or does he really not have much of his own?

May I ask one question? My TA, whom I have used for years for other travel, quotes me exactly what I see on the Celebrity website. I am somewhat insulted, because I have worked with him for such a long time. Is he taking advantage of my lack of knowledge about cruise fares, or does he really not have much of his own?

The TA is not allowed to discount the Celebrity fares. you should see if your agent is willing to give you an OBC, as that is the only way Celebrity allows agents to 'discount'

Just be straight with her and explain or show her the discussion on cruise critic. If you don't ask, why would she offer. Now that you are aware of the possibility of OBC, be open about the incentive and if she values your business then she will open to your dialogue.

WE have NEVER received an OBC from our TA WE ahve booked over a dozen with them, mostly in suites. How do I bring that up to them? She is a friend and one of the owners.

Thank you

If you want to be gracious, you can point out that you have been a loyal customer and that you would appreciate some acknowledgement from them in the form of an on board credit. If they say no, then you can choose if you want to stay with them. Other TA's will give you OBC for your first purchase. That sounds like a more friendly way to do things to me.

If you want confidence when you talk to your TA, go to the cruise competition site first and have some examples of other deals in hand.

Ultimately we are talking about doing business here. Friendship makes it pleasant, but not, when someone's friendship is being taken advantage of. Is your friend doing other things beyond what is necessary to show her love? If she's placing flowers and champagne in your room, you might be getting OBC in that form instead of actual credit.

So I booked directly with Celebrity after not so great service from a local TA. Celebrity quoted me a better price immediately (I was eligible for a resident discount that I had not heard about from the TA). Now I wonder if I should do some more checking around with local TAs. I have not made my final payment yet, but it is due in a few days. How difficult is it to transfer a booking? Do I have to initiate it, or a TA? Must it be done before final payment is made? Thanks all!

Archived