Question for those who have snorkeled before

NEHMAR

When snorkeling you wear both fins and mask. It is a great thought to try it out before you are somewhere special. It is something to get use to. A class of some sort would be perfect... but should practice until you are comfortable. Not difficult but something pretty different.

Have fun!

I have snorkeled with and without fins. Fins make it much easier and give you added bouyancy.

I am not a good swimmer and I must say I disagree with the poster that said you need a class....I don't really think that is necessary.

One thing I will tell you if you have never snorkeled before is this: The first couple minutes of your first snorkel, you may feel REALLY anxious. Until your brain realizes that you will be able to breathe when you put your face in the water, your heart may beat like it's going out of your chest. This is a survival mechanism....when you put your face in the water and go to breathe, your brain is screaming, "DON'T!!!" Once you get used to having your face under water and you are breathing in all the oxygen you need, your brain and heart go back to normal mode. :)

If you are aware of this ahead of time, that basically takes care of your biggest obstacle.

Have fun!!!! :)

I only wear flippers when I want to get from Point A to Point B. The only time I have not worn flippers while snorkeling was in Barbados where they profibited them becuase we were around the turtles. I was 1/3 as fast as I am when I wear flippers.

I would think getting hit by a bare foot would hurt them more than getting hit by a flipper.

My husband and I always use the fins, you don't get worn out as fast and move a lot easier and quicker. A word to the wise though, this is rough on the muscles in your calves and could possibly cause a cramp so flex those legs every chance you get and stretch and strenghten those muscles up BEFORE the cruise and the snorkel excursion. I don't have the cramps anymore but my husband still gets at least one each time. We snorkeled in Grand Cayman and Cozumel and he got a cramp both times. :eek: Good luck and enjoy yourself, it's a blast!!

Just my 2cents.....I have snorkeled with fins and no fins. Typically, the excursions on a cruise don't snorkel for long distances so you don't need alot of 'power'.

My issue with fins is when I want to get vertical in the water...I feel like the fins are difficult to control. It's a panicky feeling for me.

My best advice is to get your snorkel at a dive shop because a 'good' snorkel makes a huge difference. Use the fins provided by the tour company you use and if you don't like them take them off and leave them on the boat. I would never pack fins. Snorkel and mask only.

Have fun!

I've done it both with and without the fins. Sometimes the fins make my feet go into cramps so I have to take them off. I prefer to use them, as I can relax and yet cover more ground.

I second the "buy a good snorkel" comment. We bought dry snorkels that have a valve to prohibit water from entering the snorkel when you dive down. So much easier than trying to blow all the water out. Some snorkels are just glorified tubes.

Try using your mask and snorkels at your local pool. Sure, you look like a dork, but at least you will have tried them out and gotten used to them ahead of time. :D

I'm glad someone started this thread. I have never snorkled....but want to try it on one of our cruises. My biggest concern is that I wear glasses and I know if I buy my own mask, I can get it with corrective lenses. However, to just try it for the first time, not knowing if I will like it, I'm trying to decide how well I will see. Distance vision is pretty good, just can't read without my glasses.

I really like fins. I feel like I get a much smoother swim...I can go without but when the water is a little rougher it's so much easier to go against the waves and current with fins.

I agree...you don't need a class. If you fee you need a little practice just hold your nose with one hand and "lightly" bite down on a finger and breath through your mouth. (the finger will simulate the mouthpiece of the snorkle)

My first experience with snorkel mask and fins was in 1983 and we were at the Roosevelt Roads Naval Station and swam from the beach to a small island. It took me getting used to breathing while my face was underwater and yeah, rapid heartbeat, excitement soon went away....up until two hours later when a barracuda decided to join us.

My buddy told me he'd never seen anyone run on top of the water with fins before.

I am talking about fish food in the form of cereal. I first witnessed this a few years ago so tried it myself in mexico. Used a small box of cereal from the breakfast bar, put it in a baggie and fed the fish. You would not believe the fish that instantly appear. I had the baggie a few inches from the water and a fishie jumped out of the water and ripped the bag open. Make sure you do not discard the bag in the water. I used Cheerios and Carnival will not miss just 1 little box.

My biggest concern is that I wear glasses and I know if I buy my own mask, I can get it with corrective lenses. However, to just try it for the first time, not knowing if I will like it, I'm trying to decide how well I will see. Distance vision is pretty good, just can't read without my glasses.

Hi TexasCruzrs! I wear glasses too- and ended buying a pair of disposable contacts since it was cheaper than getting a mask with corrective lenses (I'm nearsighted though). However, my mom wears reading glasses, and she found out that underwater everything is naturally magnified- if you wear a mild prescription for reading glasses, you may actually be ok with a regular mask (as she was- she was surprised!)- if you can borrow one and try it out in a pool that might be the best way to tell. Have a GREAT cruise!! :p

I am talking about fish food in the form of cereal. I first witnessed this a few years ago so tried it myself in mexico. Used a small box of cereal from the breakfast bar, put it in a baggie and fed the fish. You would not believe the fish that instantly appear. I had the baggie a few inches from the water and a fishie jumped out of the water and ripped the bag open. Make sure you do not discard the bag in the water. I used Cheerios and Carnival will not miss just 1 little box.

That's an excellent idea! We're going to try it. And in regards to Carnival missing that "one little box", I believe you paid for it when you bought your cruise tickets, lol.

My husband and I will be snorkeling on our Western Caribbean cruise in August aboard the Conquest and we've decided to go ahead and buy our own snorkel equipment as opposed to renting - which I find very unsanitary when you think about it.

I've been checking out different snorkeling packages online that include the snorkel, fin, mask with a mesh traveling bag. I found out that they make compact fins as opposed to the full length fins that I was accustomed to. They come in different sizes, colors and price ranges and all look pretty much like this:

snorkelset.jpg

Note the smaller fin size. From the reviews I've read they are much easier on your ankles, calves, legs and there is basically no difference in your swimming speed. These will work out well for us as we plan on snorkeling not only on our paid excursions but when we're just bumming around on the beach. They'll fit fine in our backpacks.

...and we snorkel (and have scuba'd) frequently. Just more to travel with. All the places you can rent from; sanitize the gear in alcohol..any reticence is psychological.

As for fins? I agree you can swim faster and more efficiently with them on (and will protect the feet somewhat). But If I am snorkeling off a beach and am not needing to go very far to where the fish viewing is good; I don't bother with them. If you are on an excursion and snorkeling out in deeper water away from the shore; definately fins then.

Mitch

Archived