Question for other Princess Cruisers

twinkle toes

Hi. I have been on 2 princess cruises since December. On one, we were in an outside cabin on Emerald deck (8) and the other an outside cabin on Plaza (5). Both cruises were 7 day jaunts and we paid around $500 - $600 per person. I was checking on where we wanted to go next time we cruise and was surprised to see that for the same cruise length and cabin style, the prices are now doubled. Does anyone know why the prices are up so much?

Hi. I have been on 2 princess cruises since December. On one, we were in an outside cabin on Emerald deck (8) and the other an outside cabin on Plaza (5). Both cruises were 7 day jaunts and we paid around $500 - $600 per person. I was checking on where we wanted to go next time we cruise and was surprised to see that for the same cruise length and cabin style, the prices are now doubled. Does anyone know why the prices are up so much?

I think a lot of it depends on timing. If the cruise is 6 months or more out, prices will be high, but will start to come down if the cruise is not selling well as it gets a little closer. That has been my experience. I'm looking at a spring cruise next year, and right now the prices are almost double what I paid for a cruise three weeks ago. I'm sure by Christmas those prices will come back to "normal".

However, as the economy improves, demand will be up, and prices will not come down as much.

Mike

I think there were several cruises last year and early this year that were discounted alot due to supply and demand. I'm sure the same will continue to apply for specific sailings. However, it appears some are getting back to work and the economy is slowly recovering which means more people cruising.

I paid $379.00 plus port taxes for an obstructed oceanview guarantee on the Sapphire Princess (7 day Mexican Riviera) the first week of February - this year. I was upgraded to a full oceanview. I doubt I will ever see a rate like that again. Maybe not even for an inside.

Who ever said supply and demand is correct. The last couple of years it seems prices were slashed, but the ships were oversold because of it. Now the prices are going up, and unless you find a good discounted cruise (time of year and sailing has a lot to do with the prices), plan to pay the going rate. Also, if you book direct, try finding a good discount TA and they should be able to save you up to 10%+ off the princess pricing. Good Luck!

Archived