Handicap Cabins on Grand?

Babie

I'm considering something rather odd, but before I do it, I'd like to get a little information. I've heard (no idea of the merit) that if you book a handicap cabin, and then they need the handicap cabin, that they'll have little choice but to upgrade you. (Apart from downgrading you with OBC etc)

Now what I want to know is this. If the handicap cabin isn't needed, will it be uncomfortable for non handicapped people to use the cabin?

It wouldn't bother me too much if I ended up with a handicap cabin because the balconies look much larger.

Thanx for any advice.

LES!

I think they usually won't let you book an accessible cabin unless you can demonstrate a need for one (i.e., a doctor's note showing you use a wheelchair or walker or whatever), or unless the category is otherwise totally sold out.

I would never dream of taking a cabin from someone who needed it. My impression from NG's and message boards is that the few people who have tried it, were asked to upgrade so someone who needed a cabin could take it.

For instance. A cabin category I'm interested in only has 3 cabins available. All 3 are handicap accessible.

Thanx for the imput! It's more out of interest than anything I'd do... I just dunno. I can be so wishy washy. (And it's very possible I'll need handicap access by then... possible back surgery coming up)

LES!

If you book a handicapped person, you most likely will be taking it from someone who needs it. There are very few disabled cabins on the ship and if they are taken by able bodied person, when a disabled person goes to get the cabin, they are told that the cabin is taken. Most people who are in a wheelchair have to book many months in advance just to make sure they can sail -- it really is morally wrong to do what you are considering.

If you book a handicapped person, you most likely will be taking it from someone who needs it. There are very few disabled cabins on the ship and if they are taken by able bodied person, when a disabled person goes to get the cabin, they are told that the cabin is taken. Most people who are in a wheelchair have to book many months in advance just to make sure they can sail -- it really is morally wrong to do what you are considering.

Please see above. :-)

I was just curious. As stated, I would never take a cabin from someone. What I was wondering (morals have nothing to do with curosity) is if what I've read/heard about booking to get an upgrade is true. No big deal.

Thanx for the response :-)

LES!

No, you probably will not get the upgrade.

Yes, it does deal with morals. You would be taking a cabin from someone who may not be able to cruise because the cabin would be full. Have respect for those who are disabled and really needs the cabin.

The above replies are correct. If you do not want to take the cabin from someone who needs it, don't try to book it. Someone who needs a wheelchair has a very difficult time in a regular cabin. I know several who can't cruise certain times because all the cabins are full.

Tomcarson it's not only difficult it impossible. If you are unable to walk at all there is no way to get in a regular cabin. The doors aren't wide enough for the chair to fit through.

Babie,

I had to register just to respond, and have NEVER posted anywhere before!

That said, you are not a terrible person!! The only reason that the handicapped rooms are posted as available, is that they were not booked by anyone needing that type of accommodation. One of the cabins that we are booked in is handicapped accessible. We are traveling as a family and it was one of the only two side by side cabins available. My husband and I asked the TA about this and she said that they are never listed until the cruise lines are at the final payment stage, and they are still available. She said that if someone books one and does not need it, and someone needing it for medical reasons requests it, then you may be asked to move. Don't let someone make you feel ashamed for asking a question!

Have a great trip!!

We booked a guar. cabin on the Grand a few years ago. When we got our cabin assignment it was a handicapped cabin. I was hesitant at first but when we got there we were thrilled, I would consider it an upgrade anyway. The room was 50% bigger than the other cabins which means the balcony was also wider. It was a very nice cabin. The only thing I didn't like about it was the shower, water would go all over the entrance to the cabin. We soon learned to put rolled up towels in front of the door to block some of it.

Don't worry about any of these other posters comments. Book your cabin! Do what is good for you and your needs. If they need it for someone at the last minute and you get an upgrade...GOOD FOR YOU! If you book it and it isn't needed by a special needs person...then you have a nice large cabin, enjoy.

Those who sit in glass houses should not throw rocks.

rucruizin the original poster was looking to book a handicap cabin in hopes that she would receive an upgrade. That's very different from receiving a last minute upgrade to a handicap cabin. You ask any cruiser out there that has to have a handicap cabin just to get in the cabin and they will tell you they have to book close to a year in advance just to get it. Because I have 2 children in wheelchairs I have to book 2 cabins in October I asked if the cabin next to one of my was available so that the inside handicap cabin could move to a balcony next to the other handicap cabin and was told there were no handicap cabins available at all. There very well may be someone that needs it but in my experience 9 out of 10 times there isn't.

Those who don't roll shouldn't throw nails

After reading these posts, I'm starting to get worried over my cabin assignment! I booked a BD guarantee for 2 weeks during Spring Break (my college kids have different weeks off). I have been assigned a BA handicapped cabin on the Caribe deck for BOTH weeks. I know that this can change up until sailing, but I'm wondering if the ship is now sold out since those are Spring Break weeks and that is why I have been "upgraded" to the same cabin for both cruises. Maybe Princess waits until the last minute to book those cabins in case they're needed?

There seems to be a little animosity in some of these posts towards non-handicapped people being booked in those cabins. In my case it's the luck of the draw, but I'm going to feel really guilty if it turns out someone needed the cabin! Will everyone think I was greedy?

We cruise and unfortunately we DO have to travel with a wheel chair. I almost hate to let this out, but very few cruise lines require documentation from those requesting handicapped rooms.

We laways have to book a specific cabin on our cruises to be sure we can get the chair in, and to be sure there is room to move around once inside the room. You all know how cramped cabins are (except suites) for able-bodied people. Now imagine that you are disabled with lowered motor functions. Without the room, my wife would spend more time falling to the bed or floor, or leaning against furniture.

We have friends who know how spacious some handicapped rooms can be. They will actually book these cabins if they know they can get away with it, and then they sail with able-bodied people in them. Needless to say, we refuse to travel with these people and it has damaged a relationship.

Handicapped cabins should ONLY be booked/requested when you have a ligitimate (not marginal, not "possible") need for the accessibility. If they are not needed and you have booked a guarantee in that category and get one, so be it, but PLEASE do not throw a roadblock in the way of a disabled person who may be planning the only real vacation of their life.

I am a bit passionate about this, and am not one bit sorry about it!

We cruise and unfortunately we DO have to travel with a wheel chair. I almost hate to let this out, but very few cruise lines require documentation from those requesting handicapped rooms.

We laways have to book a specific cabin on our cruises to be sure we can get the chair in, and to be sure there is room to move around once inside the room. You all know how cramped cabins are (except suites) for able-bodied people. Now imagine that you are disabled with lowered motor functions. Without the room, my wife would spend more time falling to the bed or floor, or leaning against furniture.

We have friends who know how spacious some handicapped rooms can be. They will actually book these cabins if they know they can get away with it, and then they sail with able-bodied people in them. Needless to say, we refuse to travel with these people and it has damaged a relationship.

Handicapped cabins should ONLY be booked/requested when you have a ligitimate (not marginal, not "possible") need for the accessibility. If they are not needed and you have booked a guarantee in that category and get one, so be it, but PLEASE do not throw a roadblock in the way of a disabled person who may be planning the only real vacation of their life.

I am a bit passionate about this, and am not one bit sorry about it!

I agree and share the same passion watching people abuse handicapped parking privileges...:mad:

We just got off the Grand. We booked late and the only balcony cabin available was a handicapped one. We were told if some one handicapped needed it, we would be upgraded. The cabin was very large with a lot of drawer space. Closet space was limited. I asked a person in a wheel chair why they hadn't booked a handicapped cabin. She said she didn't know they had them. People with walkers should also have them as the steward's carts block the hall ways.

We booked a handicapped cabin for our son (handicapped, uses a wheelchair). Princess did not ask for proof that he needed the handicapped cabin. I wish they had...so folks that don't need it can't reserve it.

The handicapped room on Carribean Princess was huge! Very nice room.

My understanding of it WAS, if you were booked in a handicapped cabin and someone else needed it, you get bumped. Upgraded, moved, whatever it takes...NO QUESTION...the peson in need absolutely should have it. If you desire a handicapped cabin for any other reason than NEED, you should be informed of such and deal with whatever the outcome.

If Princess or any other line allows you to take up space in one of these cabins without the need then SHAME ON THEM!

Unfortunately it's probably like the hundreds of unused parking spaces all over town that are there for compliance reasons. I haven't seen many disabled persons on any of our cruises.

I just think that people on these boards get really hateful to others when they are just asking simple questions...lighten up...this is cruising we're talking about not politics, not morals, not anything else...cruising and iformation and fun!

That is correct.. Princess rarely keeps tabs on who is placed where.

I believe all the posters who think there is 'nothing wrong' with an able-bodied person asking about or even booking a handicapped room (then having the gall to complain about the make-up of the particular room) should try 'living' in a wheelchair for an hour.

Count your blessings...

Ditto.

Rucruizin....sorry if I sound miffed, but I am. It upsets me, because of what we have seen, to even have the question posed. Able-bodied people will never have a clue what some of the rest of us go through, or how many cruises we have to not take as a first choice because these cabins are not available and the line doesn't require proof to use them.

I can agree to a point that the cruise line should require more on these reservations, but I can also say shame on people who actually request the cabin without needing it to get more space for free. I think many of us read through your message, right or wrong, that you were looking for an easy upgrade if it happened. Please, please find another way to do it and then you might just see more disabled passengers on the cruise.

I cruise with my handicapped Mother. I book handicapped cabins but they are usually sold out already. The time we cruise depends on when the cabins are available. We have to book way in advance. It is true, alot of the cruise lines do not require proof of needing a handicapped room. I always provide proof whether they ask for it or not. I fax them proof at the time of booking and then also give it to agent at embarkation. Makes me darn mad when they give able bodied people handicapped rooms. Really chaps my hide!!!!!!!!! You dont realize until you are disabled yourself or are close to a disabled person how hard it is.

I have heard of an obese lady booking and getting a handicapped cabin. She was so big she said she needed the extra room. A truely handicapped person wanted to book that cabin. The cruise line called the obese lady and she rushed right out and got a letter from her dr saying she needed the handicapped cabin. Since she now had a dr's letter they wouldnt move her. The truely handicapped person was out of luck. I am not accusing anyone, but I know of selfish able bodied people who book handicapped rooms. Yes, it is a matter of morals. Now if the cruise line gives it to you just because it wasnt sold. good for you.......enjoy it.

Anyone who doesnt agree just try travelling with someone who is disabled or better yet just try to use the toilet once without using your legs.

Sorry, but this is a very "hot" topic for me. Never, ever book or try to book a handicapped cabin unless you are disabled. (or to try and get an upgrade)

I hope in future cruiselines will only book truely handicapped people in handicapped cabins and require proof, in advance, of the handicap. Linda

I am traveling with my father (wheelchair) in March and we couldn't get a handicapped suite. he can walk into the cabin, but we are concerned about his ability to use the tub (no separate shower). Never were told we could perhaps "bump" someone who isn't handicapped from one of those cabins....

Archived