Ryndam Sick

GAJE

I got a call from our TA late this afternoon who wanted to tell us we had gotten letter from HAL about a large number of sick passengers on the Ryndam. Because of this situation, the ship is arriving back in Ft. Laudedale earlier than scheduled Sat., 1/29 to undergo an extensive sanitizing. For that reason, there will be no early embarkation and that full refunds will be given to those passengers sailing on the 29th (That includes us!!) who want one. We are not going to cancel, but what are these extensive sanitizing measures? Anyone care to share a norwalk experience and offer any advice? We certainly are going to carry all kinds of hand sanitizers!!

As always, any help will be appreciated.

Betty

So sorry to hear that another ship is experiencing the Norvo virus.

We have been on the Amsterdam (2002 - big outbreak), Ryndam (2003), and a couple of other ships when the Norvo hit.

We just keep washing our hand as much as possible and don't touch handrails, etc. I even used kleenex to touch the elevator buttons and then immidiately threw away the kleenex - wouldn't use the same one twice.

When the big outbreak happened on the Amsterdam and the Ryndam there weren't any sanitizers - so we really had to be careful. On the Amsterdam a woman sitting at our table got the virus - she stayed in the cabin only 24 hours - her husband didn't stay in at all. We kept praying that we wouldn't get sick.

So far we haven't gotten the virus - hope our luck holds out.

After the first Norwalk scare back in 2002, we were on the Statendam for a Hawaii cruise. No rolls were left on the table, butter was in wrapped patties, in the Lido, the staff handled your tray and you pointed to what you wanted, paper towels in the bathrooms. The last time I was on the O, they had hand santizers as you entered the ship and one at the beginning of each buffet line. I am a nurse and know germs. I have seen several of my nursing facilities have epidemics of intestinal flus the last couple of weeks. It boils down to this: HANDWASHING!!!! Everytime you touch something in the ship like the rails, buttons on the elevators, chairs, etc., remember, someone else touched these surfaces and may have been ill. Then you touch, then you touch something else, etc., etc., etc. That's how an epidemic starts and grows. So, carry Purell or other hand cleaner in your pocket and wash your hands carefully after every bathroom use. We teach the staff to wash their hands for at least 10 seconds with soap and water. It is the friction that kills the germs. The hand cleaners kill 99% of the bacteria--that is good!

Sorry to hear about the Ryndam--we are scheduled fo 3/6. By sanitizing the ship, they clean it top to bottom with disinfectants to try to kill any residual germs.

We are not going to cancel, but what are these extensive sanitizing measures?

I think it's a procedure called "fogging?" They were going to do that on the Sun Princess at the end of our 1-8 to 1-18 cruise. From what I understand, it's a major cleaning that requires no passengers be on the enclosed decks. Even if you're doing a b2b, you have to either stay off the ship during the process, or stay only out on the open decks.

From the name of the procedure, I would imagine it involves spraying some sort of sanitizing mist through the ventilation system. I know that no one was going to be allowed to embark for the 1-18 cruise until this process had been completed. That's why they were so quick getting us off the ship that morning ... so they could get the decks cleared and this "fogging" done, and still get the next cruise sailing away at the appointed time.

Hope this helps ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

I got a call from our TA late this afternoon who wanted to tell us we had gotten letter from HAL about a large number of sick passengers on the Ryndam. Because of this situation, the ship is arriving back in Ft. Laudedale earlier than scheduled Sat., 1/29 to undergo an extensive sanitizing. For that reason, there will be no early embarkation and that full refunds will be given to those passengers sailing on the 29th (That includes us!!) who want one. We are not going to cancel, but what are these extensive sanitizing measures? Anyone care to share a norwalk experience and offer any advice? We certainly are going to carry all kinds of hand sanitizers!!

As always, any help will be appreciated.

Betty

We stayed over in Tampa the day we disembarked Veendam. During the afternoon, we walked over to the terminal and saw them distributing a letter advising arriving pax that there had been an outbreak of gastro-intestinal illness on the previous cruise (our cruise).

They offered, in this letter, a full refund to any pax who wished to cancel their cruise and said they would assist anyone who needed help arranging air/transportation home.

We are very cautious always/everywhere about clean hands (not just on ships). It is a way of life with me that even if I use oil and vinegar cruets in a restaurant, I would never handle the bottle with my bare hand. I use a paper napkin or tissue. I always assume that someone ahead of me who used it may not have had clean hands and who knows how often that cruet is washed by the restaurant.

I never touch the faucets with my clean hands in a lavatory after washing my hands. I shut if off with a paper towel or even my elbow if necessary.

You get the point.....I am always VERY careful.

No matter how careful you are about pushing elevator button with a pen (Yes, I do that); not touching the handrail on a moving ship when there is a lot of 'motion of the ocean', about wiping your hands with sanitizer immediately after using a slot machine and washing them ASAP.......

There are no guarantees you will not catch it. It is highly contagious.

The odds are strongly in your favor if you take all precautions you will not catch it but you must understand you are at risk. For the vast majority of people, if they contract it, they are ill for about 24 hours and then start to feel better. For someone with some other illness or frailty, it may take longer to recover. One is contagious for 72 hours from the onset of symptoms and must be isolated for the period of time as to not spread it around.

Another place to be prepared is in the dining room. We carry hand sanitizer with us to use after we've handled the menus. Few people think about this, but it seems as important as the other steps.

I use my knuckle to press elevator buttons, as I can't ever remember placing my knuckle in my mouth. ;)

....and then you place your hand on the arm of the chair. Or you pull your chair closer to the table by reaching under the seat to grasp it in the normal manner.....or you admire the pretty bud vase on the table and touch it......

and on and on and on.

One thinks they can avoid it by being oh so careful.......for the most part, many people, indeed most people probably will. But Not All.

Good luck and have a Wonderful Cruise. The odds are strongly in your favor for staying well.

In Dec '02 my wife and I were on the Zaandam and learned from our tablemates that the ship had the virus. Everything changed...we were served bread at the table, we could no longer serve ourselves at the buffet...and lots more cleaning became evident. People who became sick were confined to their cabins and sent ashore at the next port. All the cleaning and precautions you can think of may not stop the spread...but it's worth a try. Good luck to all cruisers facing these circumstances...wish we had a cruise planned.

Thank you, S7S. I'm sorry you got ill, but you are nevertheless right ... the odds are long that any given person will not catch the virus. An epedemic outbreak is 8% ... but even if twice that gets sick, 84% of the passengers will not get sick. That's shallow comfort for those who catch it, but it should put some perspective on the situation.

I always pray for the health of those who cruise ... that all be careful, all be safe, and that any who get ill will get, quickly, well. Amen.

well, we are on the Ryndam 2-14...I always use hand cleaner/papertowels etc. But still, it makes me nervous...I worry enough about the water in Mexico!

But, we will be extra vigilent..and bring on clorox wipes to clean the cabin and hope for the best. :eek:

If you read the information on Cruise Critic home page or do a search using Norwalk, you'll understand that this is very difficult to eradicate. In fact, there are several outbreaks in schools, hospitals, and other "closed" environments everywhere.

Since it's a virus, it's very much more difficult to kill.

ironically, the crew or staff can be the ones who transmit it even while they clean. Unless they use disposable gloves and change them after cleaning every cabin, the cabin stewards are carrying it from room to room. They move the books, ice buckets, linens, clothes, papers and dishes without covering their hands and unless supervised, without washing very carefully between cabins. Just opening the doors of a cabin of one sick person, then going into another's will transport the virus.

Only very vigourous scrubbing with a very strong chlorine solution will kill the virus. Of course, one can't use chorine on the soft furnishings, so steam cleaning of rugs, curtains, blankets, etc. is necessary. That's why a ship has to be taken out of commission for a week to break the cycle. Few are willing to have that.

But there is some indication that taking peptobismal tablets prophylactically starting 2 days before the trip and continuing 2 days after the trip does help.

The sickness on the Ryndam is not Norwalk,just the flue..that is what happens when people get on a ship although they are sick. I guess they test for the Norwalk and can diagnose whether thats what it is.Just like a bug can spread at school ,at work or any place in close quarters...a bug can spread on a ship.

The sickness on the Ryndam is not Norwalk,just the flue..that is what happens when people get on a ship although they are sick. I guess they test for the Norwalk and can diagnose whether thats what it is.Just like a bug can spread at school ,at work or any place in close quarters...a bug can spread on a ship.

Just The FLU!!! More people die each year from Influenza than will ever die from Noro Viruses.

If I were to worry about catching one or the other, I'd be more concerned about catching Flu....by far!

What we are talking about here may be the flu (as the term is commonly used), but it is not the FLU, the type we get shots for. Oh, some on a ship may have the FLU, but the outbreaks many talk talk about on this board are different. Now, if one is sick and days on a ship spoiled - this is small comfort. However, the FLU that so many die of in a average year involves many days in bed with severe chill, fever, upset stomach and GI problems. This is a serious illness, particularly for the young, elderly and for folks with compromised immune systems.

thanks Wanderer...that is what I meant..not "THE FLU"but the flu...that was my first time posting..I guess I had beter be more careful...my daughter called me this mornng and had been on the boat which is why I thought I would share about it not being a Norwalk type virus...

I was on the Ryndam for a New Year's cruise and had to use the public restrooms for three days because of toilet problems. While doing so, I saw a staff member who did not wash his hands after using the facilities. I was pretty surprised at what I saw (or didn't see) and couldn't determine who exactly the person was since I was otherwise occupied. I did point out this training need for the staff in general, but I don't know if anything was done.

This entry in the News section of CC reports that it was Norwalk. If this is incorrect they should retract. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1246

Both my wife and myself developed one heck of something the last 2 days while on our 12/11 Ryndam cruise leaving us with the most awful cough and other cold like symptoms which took nearly 6 weeks to clear up. I'm not pointing any fingers at the ship as we may have well brought it with us on our plane ride as well as our stay in San Diego prior to the cruise.

One thing we noticed was a number of people coughing and hacking while on the cruise which included an older woman who while going through the line in the Lido was coughing as she leaned over and inspected the salad bar before helping herself. Course this can happen anywhere when exposed to buffet type service. Should have said something at the time to someone in food service but.....

People spend a lot of money for a cruise and get sick a few days before sailing and then they get on a ship sick and it spreads. Too bad. Hope they kill all the germs on the RYNDAM. I heard the VEENDAM has had to same problem. To good health to all.

HIMSELF

Saw just one version of the Veendam's norovirus exposé this morning on Northwest Cable News today. The exaggeration was beyond comprehension in both Tampa and the PNW. I guess the media is desperate for stories. One person said it was a "trip from hell" and another said that it was barely noticeable (!?)...

Archived