booster seat - worth the hassle??

melanie1877

Hi,

We are travelling on the Carnival Pride on May 2, and have port stops in Port Canaveral, Nassau, and Freeport. I have a 3yo who weighs about 37lbs. I know that technically the rule is 4yo or 40lb to switch from a car seat to a booster, but I purchased a booster for this trip, because it is much smaller and lightweight for travel, and he is big for his age, and just about ready to make the switch. We plan on taking a shuttle / taxi (whichever is available) to Cocoa Beach for the day in Florida. In Nassau, we are booked for the Blue Lagoon excursion, which is by boat, but then we plan on visiting Atlantis, possibly going to dinner. In Freeport, we would like to visit Lucaya Beach for the day.

My question is this....should we bother with the booster seat? Will we be able to use it in these locations, or will these transportation vehicles not be equipped with seat belts. I know some people mentioned that some shuttles don't have car seats, but I think I also remembered someone saying that you needed it for travel in Fl. I don't want to have to remain on the boat in Fl, which is our longest stop, because I don't have a car seat. But then again, if it's not going to be used, I would hate to lug it along for no reason. Even though it is smaller than a full size car seat, it's still cumbersome!

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks so much for all of your help!! This board has been a lifesaver in helping me to plan my family's very first cruise!:D

We have a light weight booster seat that we use. If it was me I would pack it. You wouldn't want to not get to do what you want for something as simple as a booster seat.

It's better to be say "Why did we bring this" over "Why didn't we bring it"

We were on the Valor in March and we have a 4 year old daughter. We did bring a booster and it was a pain lugging it. After the 1st day we left it in our room and just used a seat belt. So IMO leave it home.

I'd take a backless for Florida unless you're sure that the shuttle is a bus. The law is five for carseats in Florida and you'd have issues with taxis if you didn't.

In the foreign ports I wouldn't bother, it's going to be hard enough even finding a seatbelt in the cabs.

Thanks so much for all the quick replies. I think I'm going to bring it at least for the sake of Florida. Even if I don't use it in the other ports, I guess it's better safe than sorry!

Thanks sooo much for all of the help! The people on this board are awesome!:D

Glad you decided to bring it! We have a cheap, lightweight backless booster that we bring for my daughter (now 4) on every cruise. With the help of 2 creatively placed bungee cords, the booster easily straps to the handle of her stroller during embarkation/debarkation or ports where we plan to do a lot of walking.

On our cruise last week, I was very happy we brought it. We were in Cozumel, and needed a taxi. Strapped DD in her booster and off we went to Chankanaab. The first thing my daughter said when the driver took off was, "Mommy, it's just like 'Crazy Taxi'!" She was right! :eek:

I would not lug along a regular booster. It takes to long to get them in properly and if you aren't going to belt it properly, what good is it? Instead take a backless booster like mentioned. You can even get carry bags for them at places like Toys R Us so you can put on your shoulder or back when you aren't using it.

We were on the Valor in March and we have a 4 year old daughter. We did bring a booster and it was a pain lugging it. After the 1st day we left it in our room and just used a seat belt. So IMO leave it home.

Question to you apdchief about your cell phone bill when you got back from your cruise. In one of your posts you said with Verizon you paid an additional $30 and this covered your internet and email usuage. Did you buy a package on the cruise for internet usuage? So you got to use unlimited email and internet (facebook, gmail and such) for just the $30 and no other additional fees? Anxious to hear. I am a facebook addict (yes I need help) and it would be well wort it to pay the $30 even $75-100 to have unlimited use of my blackberry for facebook and email. thanks for your reply :D

Archived