I want to see Orcas!

prncsscruiser

Hello everyone. I will be on the ncl star out of Seattle June 12th, we go to ketchikan, skagway, juneau, and prince rupert. I went whale watching last year in both icy strait (amazing!) and juneau. I am thinking of booking another whale watching tour this year, would prince rupert be my best bet for seeing orcas? Thanks.

If you have time in Seattle pre or post cruise your best bet for orcas would be to go north out of Anacortes or take the ferry to the San Juan Islands to see orcas. This area has 3 resident orca pods.

We have been on 3 whale watching trips out of the San Juan Islands in the last couple of years. It's about an hour and a half drive from Seattle and then one hour by ferry. During the last trip last year the orcas surprised us by coming right up to our boat and then going underneath! It was an unforgettable experience. :)

I hear that it is a slim chance to see orcas in Alaska.

Your itinerary isn't in any "orca areas" such as the resident Vancouver Island pods. and Prince Rupert is your only option. I suggest if a PRIORITY, that you add several days and get to Vancouver Island. There are 6 resident pods, with good sightings, especially if you book multiple trips ( I ALWAYS do). Otherwise, you are going to be pure chance. They aren't common to be seen. To give yourself the most "chance", park yourself all your sailing times at a front viewing area. Necessary is a good pair of WIDE angle binoculars.

thanks everyone for the feedback :-) i guess i will just try to pray to the orca gods that I get VERY LUCKY. I was pretty lucky last year on my whale watching trip, got to see bubble feeding that was AWESOME. So the whale gods don't really owe me anything this year :-) Either way I will have fun. Thanks again

We go to Alaska on a cruise at least once a year and after booking others, we ALWAYS book with Capt. Larry from Orca Enterprises in Juneau. We had had killer whale watches. Took a Nat'l Geographical photographer out with us last Sept. & had humpbacks & 2 groups of 5 orca. He couldn't believe it. Some came up & swam along the boat. We

always see them.

We have sailed with them every trip for the last 6-7 years and always good sightings. We're booked again for this Sept.

Have done Prince Rupert & several other ports as well, but this is the best. He does whale research in Maui every winter.

http://www.orcaenterprises.com

Archived