Just off Explorer. One good one bad thing

cs

We had a great trip. I'm not going to write a whole review right now, I just wanted to mention 2 things (one good, one bad).

First - the one thing that has changed, for the better, is they took the nutmeg (or cinnamon?) flavor out of all the meals. Some of you will remember that horrible flavor in everything. This time the Windjammer was actually, gasp, not bad! I was very pleasantly surprised after such terrible food we had last time. This time I enjoyed the food - go figure!

The bad. I ordered the Romance Package to surprise my dh. We went without our children on this cruise and it was like a second honeymoon to us. The package I purchased should have had champagne, fresh flowers, and 2 robes waiting in our room (among other things) when we arrived. Nothing was there when we got to the cabin. Then a few hours later, only the champagne showed up. I had to let dh in on the rest of the surprise when we went to ask about the rest of the package. I was slightly bummed since I paid $200 to surprise him and it wasn't in the cabin when we arrived. Just be forewarned if you want to do this package - it may not be there when you arrive.

I'll try to post some more later. Trying to catch up on the laundry now ;)

Addressing your "bad", first of all, I'm so sorry things didn't go as planned and paid for. I can totally empathize. Sadly, we had a similar experience on Explorer for our 25th anniversary cruise. DH had done the ordering to surprise me - a fruit basket and bottle of champagne. Neither was waiting for us, and it took him 3 calls and a trip to the Guest Relations desk to get some action on this. I know he was disappointed.

Having said that, Explorer is still our favorite ship and we will cruise RCI again and again. It's just disappointing that some things fall through the cracks like this. :(

Oh that is a disappointment ... next years cruise is our 20th anniversary and I was thinking of surprising my hubby with the romance package ...

I may rethink this. Perhaps I will make up my own gift basket and smuggle it in as part of my own luggage [oddly enough, we pack separately and don't really interact with each others luggage - other than we put a little bit of each others stuff in the others luggage just in case, but we set those out for each other to grab and pack. We have very different packing styles =) ]

I already have his presents, so this is do-able. The only issue would be arranging for champagne [i don't smuggle] Is it possible to order a bottle of champagne from room service? I could do it while he is in the shower ... :confused:

First - the one thing that has changed, for the better, is they took the nutmeg (or cinnamon?) flavor out of all the meals. Some of you will remember that horrible flavor in everything. ;)

Hello

Never felt that flavour...so for me it's not a good or bad thing:D

Sorry things didn't go as planned by you...:(

And thank you for the advice ;)

I don't think that I should get a full refund. We did EVENTUALLY get the whole package. Was the surprise ruined - yep. Did we have to chase down the items - you betcha. BUT - we still got the items on the list so I don't feel the need to ask for a refund.

The not so funny part of this is that the following day the room steward left an OBC card in our room showing a $250 credit. My dh was like - "OMG, they are so generous!" "They screwed up but more than made it right by giving us an OBC to apologize." Good thing I looked closer at the card because it was somebody else's OBC that they put in our room by accident! That was the quickest OBC we ever went through! lol

I don't think that I should get a full refund. We did EVENTUALLY get the whole package. Was the surprise ruined - yep. Did we have to chase down the items - you betcha. BUT - we still got the items on the list so I don't feel the need to ask for a refund.

The not so funny part of this is that the following day the room steward left an OBC card in our room showing a $250 credit. My dh was like - "OMG, they are so generous!" "They screwed up but more than made it right by giving us an OBC to apologize." Good thing I looked closer at the card because it was somebody else's OBC that they put in our room by accident! That was the quickest OBC we ever went through! lol

Fair enough but you paid $200 for a surprise and didn't get it.

As long as you now feel satisfied then I suppose no real damage is done.

We had a great trip. I'm not going to write a whole review right now, I just wanted to mention 2 things (one good, one bad).

First - the one thing that has changed, for the better, is they took the nutmeg (or cinnamon?) flavor out of all the meals. Some of you will remember that horrible flavor in everything. This time the Windjammer was actually, gasp, not bad! I was very pleasantly surprised after such terrible food we had last time. This time I enjoyed the food - go figure!

The bad. I ordered the Romance Package to surprise my dh. We went without our children on this cruise and it was like a second honeymoon to us. The package I purchased should have had champagne, fresh flowers, and 2 robes waiting in our room (among other things) when we arrived. Nothing was there when we got to the cabin. Then a few hours later, only the champagne showed up. I had to let dh in on the rest of the surprise when we went to ask about the rest of the package. I was slightly bummed since I paid $200 to surprise him and it wasn't in the cabin when we arrived. Just be forewarned if you want to do this package - it may not be there when you arrive.

I'll try to post some more later. Trying to catch up on the laundry now ;)

My DH Surprised me with the romance package in 2007. For those opinions who claim it isnt worth it but have never purchased, you should be aware that it is VERY well worth the money and really a nice offerring and idea! It doesnt come all together and your cabin steward doesnt know you purchased it as a surprise (altho a few items should be the surprise in your cabin). The delicious robes should have been there along with a Special Card and the Champagne and flowers. They dont leave the fruit it can get warm and be undesirable to eat afterwards. They surely dont leave the breakfast in bed, you tell your Steward when YOU want it delivered. They also dont leave the tray/plate of canapes (is that on the romance package? or it was someone we know on board who sent that, hmmm I cant recall at the moment) Anyway, to the OP, Im sure your DH remembers your special gesture every time he wears his robe at home (hope he will!). We've purchased some other packages throughout the years, so dont diss on them people, lol! They all have some special meaning and....they offer them because folks do purchase them. :p:rolleyes::eek:

Oh that is a disappointment ... next years cruise is our 20th anniversary and I was thinking of surprising my hubby with the romance package ...

I may rethink this. Perhaps I will make up my own gift basket and smuggle it in as part of my own luggage [oddly enough, we pack separately and don't really interact with each others luggage - other than we put a little bit of each others stuff in the others luggage just in case, but we set those out for each other to grab and pack. We have very different packing styles =) ]

I already have his presents, so this is do-able. The only issue would be arranging for champagne [i don't smuggle] Is it possible to order a bottle of champagne from room service? I could do it while he is in the shower ... :confused:

Unless things have changed, you can't order a bottle of Champagne.:o

(DH and I totally have different packing styles too. Most couples we know do, lol!) Ivery much enjoyed when DH surprised me with the romance pkg, I say go for it!!)

aruvqan - my mistake, you can order a bottle of champagne, here is the price list: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/category/home.do;jsessionid=0000pv92TCimdkGFd1UPCrOuJ6j:12hdhu93n?catCode=WINE

It doesnt come all together and your cabin steward doesnt know you purchased it as a surprise (altho a few items should be the surprise in your cabin). The delicious robes should have been there along with a Special Card and the Champagne and flowers.

Those are the items I thought would be in the cabin when we arrived. Obviously, the breakfast in bed and the framed photo wouldn't be there when we arrived. The canapes (sp?) and the chocolate covered strawberries come on the first formal night so we didn't expect those either. Having everything in the room when you arrive adds to the excitement of the trip. That excitement is kind of lost when it shows up later and you had to ask for some of the items.

We got the champagne sometime after sailaway which was a disappointment (it would have been fun to toast as we were sailing away). Then we inquired about the other items around 8:00 PM at the pursers desk. At 9:00, we still didn't have our items and we were pretty tired the first night so we put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign and went to bed. 9:30 PM, the steward knocked on the door and woke us up to deliver the rest of the stuff - that made dh kind of mad because they ignored the sign and woke us up anyway.

By the way CS how was the weather ?

The sea days were a bit chilly (more so on the way home). Bermuda was cool in the morning and warm in the afternoon. I'm glad I overpacked because we had warm and cool weather clothes to wear.

Those are the items I thought would be in the cabin when we arrived. Obviously, the breakfast in bed and the framed photo wouldn't be there when we arrived. The canapes (sp?) and the chocolate covered strawberries come on the first formal night so we didn't expect those either. Having everything in the room when you arrive adds to the excitement of the trip. That excitement is kind of lost when it shows up later and you had to ask for some of the items.

We got the champagne sometime after sailaway which was a disappointment (it would have been fun to toast as we were sailing away). Then we inquired about the other items around 8:00 PM at the pursers desk. At 9:00, we still didn't have our items and we were pretty tired the first night so we put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign and went to bed. 9:30 PM, the steward knocked on the door and woke us up to deliver the rest of the stuff - that made dh kind of mad because they ignored the sign and woke us up anyway.

Totally agree! That stuff should have been waiting! Being disturbed would have annoyed us even more.

The sea days were a bit chilly (more so on the way home). Bermuda was cool in the morning and warm in the afternoon. I'm glad I overpacked because we had warm and cool weather clothes to wear.

I am just ironing my clothes for my cruise now, I feel better now about overpacking. It is so hard because you need to bring shorts, capris, but also long pants for being on the deck at night.

Hmmm I hope it warms up for mid May !!!!

I assume at least the Bahamas will be warm though :confused:

Unless things have changed, you can't order a bottle of Champagne.:o

(DH and I totally have different packing styles too. Most couples we know do, lol!) Ivery much enjoyed when DH surprised me with the romance pkg, I say go for it!!)

aruvqan - my mistake, you can order a bottle of champagne, here is the price list: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/category/home.do;jsessionid=0000pv92TCimdkGFd1UPCrOuJ6j:12hdhu93n?catCode=WINE

I think I will bring my own romance package and order the champagne on the ship =)

I went on the Explorer and my husband ordered some sort of package with rose pedals, champagne, picture frame, etc. It was all ready and I was surprised when we came in the room but when I found out how much he paid for it, I had him return it, as we were married and had the same seapass account. Needless to say, i came off like an ungrateful bitch and an argument came out if it, but it was ridiculous. he was able to return some of it but not all. lol

I went on the Explorer and my husband ordered some sort of package with rose pedals, champagne, picture frame, etc. It was all ready and I was surprised when we came in the room but when I found out how much he paid for it, I had him return it, as we were married and had the same seapass account. Needless to say, i came off like an ungrateful bitch and an argument came out if it, but it was ridiculous. he was able to return some of it but not all. lol

:eek:

I would have returned dh, instead of the package, if he complained about the price! lol

CS,

We were on EOS 28 March sailing. We actually ate in the WJ a few nights and opted out of our early seating. Was plesantly surprised with the Stir Fry/Mongolian type food. I actually had it three separate nights and really enjoyed it. Sorry about your package not being there on time. We ran into a couple glitches with our pre-orders. The birthday cake I ordered for a particular night never showed up and I had to ask the waiter about it. He didn't know anything about it and I had to reschedule to a different night, no big deal. Never received our M&M invitation, our Mystery Dinner invitation and the cookie/chocolate strawberries for Diamond members. All in all a great cruise though.

CS,

We were on EOS 28 March sailing. We actually ate in the WJ a few nights and opted out of our early seating. Was plesantly surprised with the Stir Fry/Mongolian type food. I actually had it three separate nights and really enjoyed it. Sorry about your package not being there on time. We ran into a couple glitches with our pre-orders. The birthday cake I ordered for a particular night never showed up and I had to ask the waiter about it. He didn't know anything about it and I had to reschedule to a different night, no big deal. Never received our M&M invitation, our Mystery Dinner invitation and the cookie/chocolate strawberries for Diamond members. All in all a great cruise though.

Hi Anne!!

June is our first cruise as Diamond...Cookie and chocolate covered Strawberries?? I didnt know!

DD is cruising on Explorer in May (without us!), she is Diamond, not her cabinmate. Should she be getting cookies and Chocolate covered Strawberries?? She would loveeee that and I want her to have it (if)! lol

Also, great to hear about the Mongolian grill! Will tell Alexa about it! How is Julie? Are you college hunting or do you have another year? I think Julie is a yr youngr than my DS..

Hi Anne!!

June is our first cruise as Diamond...Cookie and chocolate covered Strawberries?? I didnt know!

DD is cruising on Explorer in May (without us!), she is Diamond, not her cabinmate. Should she be getting cookies and Chocolate covered Strawberries?? She would loveeee that and I want her to have it (if)! lol

Also, great to hear about the Mongolian grill! Will tell Alexa about it! How is Julie? Are you college hunting or do you have another year? I think Julie is a yr youngr than my DS..

Hi Lady, yes in the past we received a plate of assorted cookies and chocolate covered strawberries mid-cruise. For whatever reason we didn't this cruise. So I'm not sure whether they stopped it or there was a mix up. We had switched cabins about 2 months before the cruise so that may be why some of pre-orders got mixed up.

Julie's doing great. She's only a junior this year and yes we are looking at colleges over this summer or starting to. Where are you going in June? I'm trying to talk Julie into going to Bermuda again, :D.

Archived