Dress for Formal Night

dcronin

I have to add that the operative word in this discussion is requested, not required. Requested clearly includes the option to do something else without prejudice or penalty whereas required implies negative consequences for non-compliance. Since, in a practical sense, the Cruise Line clearly treats the dress code as a request and not a requirement ( in our 10 years of cruising with Celebrity I cannot recall seeing anyone denied admittance to anything because of dress), then the choice of dress, within reasonable parameters, is up to the individual cruisers as adequately demonstrated by the actual practices of the Cruise Line itself.

Bottom Line: no one who is clean, neat, and reasonably dressed is violating any one's policy. Should you choose to wear a Tuxedo or Tails, that is certainly your option to exercise, equally, it is another's option to wear something else. In neither case is a "rule" being broken or ignored.

I doubt that any of us accede to every request with which we are confronted.

Ed, I don't want to argue with you but in our 16 years of experience with Celebrity I've seen people turned away in the dining room many times. As you must remember, the dailies on board, up until just recently, always used the word "required" regarding the dress code. On our last cruise, I even saw people turned away from the Elite Lounge in the afternoon because they weren't dressed properly. Most people don't need to fear negative consequences to do what's requested.

You can all shoot me down in flames but why do people book with a cruise line that has formal nights if they don't want to wear formal dress? There are plenty of cruises that are informal so why not book one of those? We don't dress in 'posh' outfits at home but I do like the chance to dress up when on a cruise. It is lovely to see everyone in their finery and it is only two or three nights. For goodness sake make an effort, you might even enjoy it. And as for those who insist on changing back into jeans the minute dinner is finished, just don't get me started on that one. The first cruise we went on about 7 years ago had notices up on formal night to say that they would not serve anyone in the bar who had not dressed as the dress code stated. Bit more of that is needed. Don't call me a snob as we are working class and proud of it. We just accept tradition and don't ignore it just because we can.

Guest maddycat
You can all shoot me down in flames but .........................The first cruise we went on about 7 years ago had notices up on formal night to say that they would not serve anyone in the bar who had not dressed as the dress code stated. Bit more of that is needed.

If the cruise lines were to do that today, they would soon be filing for bankruptcy.

You can all shoot me down in flames but why do people book with a cruise line that has formal nights if they don't want to wear formal dress? There are plenty of cruises that are informal so why not book one of those? We don't dress in 'posh' outfits at home but I do like the chance to dress up when on a cruise. It is lovely to see everyone in their finery and it is only two or three nights. For goodness sake make an effort, you might even enjoy it. And as for those who insist on changing back into jeans the minute dinner is finished, just don't get me started on that one. The first cruise we went on about 7 years ago had notices up on formal night to say that they would not serve anyone in the bar who had not dressed as the dress code stated. Bit more of that is needed. Don't call me a snob as we are working class and proud of it. We just accept tradition and don't ignore it just because we can.

Well said. Choose a cruiseline that fits your lifestyle.

Thank you for the support karyanne. I don't expect everyone to agree with me but there are cruise lines to suit casual dressers and cruise lines for those who like tradition. Just do the research before booking and everyone will be happy and at ease.

You can all shoot me down in flames but why do people book with a cruise line that has formal nights if they don't want to wear formal dress? There are plenty of cruises that are informal so why not book one of those? .

Because Celebrity is a lot less expensive than Seadream and Windstar?

I don't know of any other cruiselines that are informal that I'd like to set foot on...

Because Celebrity is a lot less expensive than Seadream and Windstar?

I don't know of any other cruiselines that are informal that I'd like to set foot on...

Azamara and Oceania spring to mind. Both have never had formal nights.

Thank you for the support karyanne. I don't expect everyone to agree with me but there are cruise lines to suit casual dressers and cruise lines for those who like tradition. Just do the research before booking and everyone will be happy and at ease.

Everyone at our table was very happy and at ease, and were more dressed up than most on formal night, and we looked fabulous.. ;)

Good suggestion! We tried doing Azamara last year to Bermuda, but for some reason we couldn't get it together on time...

I think more and more lines are starting to opt out so it's obviously a pattern. Seabourn cut back to none on 7 day cruises I believe and Regent recently dropped them.

Are you saying that you book Celebrity for the sole reason that they have 2or 3 formal nights? We book for the ship and the itinerary, which for us is the most important thing.

We have done Oceania and loved the "country club casual" look. Even tho no formal nights, believe me when I say 90% of the cruisers dressed beautifully every night. Plenty of men wore their navy blazers and linen slacks. Very maritime. ;) Most women wore just beautiful outfits. Certainly a step above what you see many of the people wearing on X's smart casual nights. You do feel special and pampered every night.

We are looking to book on their new ship Marina. If you haven't seen it, research it. It's stunning and larger than their older ships. Pricing on O is higher than X, but certainly not as high as the luxury lines. ANd they are offernig some nice pricing with air. And the food...fantastic. Towers over X. Their itinerareis are VERY port intensive, which makes for a quieter atmosphere in the evenings.

We've been on 6 transatlantics and there were plenty of men in sport coats and ties. Not very many in tuxedos. More in dark suits than tuxes. Per Captains Club, a sport coat and tie are acceptable for formal night.

We have been on 4 Celebrity transatlantics and people followed the dress code more than on other Celebrity itineraries. In fact on all four, all the men at our tables wore tuxes on formal nights. From your signature, I see that most of you transatlantic have been on RCL.

In our experience, most follow the suggested Celebrity dress codes from the web site - especially on long relaxing cruises with a lot of sea days. On a four or five night cruise, tuxes are definitely in the minority and you will see more sport coats and dress slacks.

A suit weighs doesn't weigh any more than a sport coat and dress slacks. I wouldn't put all my weight in what was said by Captain's Club - I would go by what is on Celebrity's website and in the daily onboard.

I realize that for some people change is difficult to accept. But Smartcookie and Ed are right. When I discussed this issue with cruisestaff, they agreed that more and more experienced cruisers not longer want to shlep all the finery (SHLEP is my word, not theirs!!!). Some may not object to baggage charges, but others understandably do. Not too many airlines offer 70lb anymore. And, if one wants to continue by train or car, 70 lb is very heavy.(To shlep!!) As for the observation that a tux, suit, sport coat and pants weight approx the same, if that is an issue, the sport jacket could be worn on the plane. Someone mentioned that a suit could be "mixed and matched". If I suggested that to my DH, he would think I'm nuts. To him, a suit is a suit and a sport jacket and pants is just that.

In my opinion, choosing one over the other is not a matter of taste. Taste is based more on the quality, fit, fabric and color of the garment along with the accessories. Wearing a tux or suit does not equal good taste.

Also, if I see a man in a sports coat on formal night, the last thing that would come to mind would be to ignore him because he has poor manners.

Last but not least, I want to say that I think it is awful that some poster tell other poster to choose another cruiseline. If that isn't ME.ME ME, I don't know what is.

Continue this debate, everyone, and have fun and keep it in perspective. DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF! (This was not yelling. I don't know how else to emphasize it.

P.S. Those Nantucket outfits. OMG! I don't think I would like them, even in Martha's Vineyard!

Are you saying that you book Celebrity for the sole reason that they have 2or 3 formal nights? We book for the ship and the itinerary, which for us is the most important thing.

Each individual cruise passenger has their own "laundry list" of what they are looking for when they book a cruiseline.

When we first started cruising with Celebrity in 1999, we really looked at what met our "laundry list". We did want a line that had a more formal atmosphere. Itineraries are important, but there are so many other factors that help passengers decide what fits best for them.

As long as you are paying for your own cruise, I'd say dress any way you want as long as you are clean and neat. Why should what you wear make or spoil anyone else's time? I think formal nights will be done away with because of the airlines.

Greeneg wrote: I have to add that the operative word in this discussion is requested, not required. Requested clearly includes the option to do something else without prejudice or penalty whereas required implies negative consequences for non-compliance.

If you go to an Asian or many a European home, you are expected to remove your shoes at the door. It's not even a "request", let alone a "requirement", and the hosts would probably never dream of saying anything if you went ahead and clumped in with your street shoes on. Would that mean that you did the right thing?

Greeneg wrote: I have to add that the operative word in this discussion is requested, not required. Requested clearly includes the option to do something else without prejudice or penalty whereas required implies negative consequences for non-compliance.

If you go to an Asian or many a European home, you are expected to remove your shoes at the door. It's not even a "request", let alone a "requirement", and the hosts would probably never dream of saying anything if you went ahead and clumped in with your street shoes on. Would that mean that you did the right thing?

Will be on the Soltice next Sunday 25th April. I have a Tux (dinner Suit) which is very rarely used. Cruising gives a great opportunity to get it out of the "moth balls".

Sorry, I don't agree based on personal experience as recent as March of 2010. First of all, unless you are just simply outlandish in your tastes, you are not going to be excluded from the dining room or anywhere else on formal night. There were plenty of men without jackets ( let alone tuxedos) and/or ties and they were seated just like anyone else.

Because of airline weight restrictions, this Carolina Boy will be Carolina Formal on our transatlantic this fall and I plan to lose absolutely no sleep over it whatsoever.

For those of you not in the know, Carolina Formal is a blue blazer, white or blue shirt and tie, and either dark or khaki slacks.

Personally, I think that it's time to put this whole pseudo-snobbery of formal nights to rest. If you want to dress every night, no one is going to stop you from doing it. If you don't, don't. As long as you are neat ( and hopefully clean) you're going to be welcome at my table.

So totally agree. Celebrity is a mass market cruise line. Period. They are not Crystal, Cunard, or SilverSea by any stretch of the imagination. This dress code snobbery is just plain ridiculous. I have always worn a jacket and tie on formal nights and never felt out of place. Dress codes are evolving and people must learn to be more flexible. Given the new flight restrictions, it makes sense for cruise lines to be a little more foregiving.

Why drag formal clothes half way around the world to wear to for 2 hours 2 or 3 nights for dinner. The food tastes the same no matter what you wear. In fact, on our last Celebrity European cruise, we skipped formal evenings all together. We chose to eat at the alternative restaurant in the buffet area, which was very relaxing after long days ashore. Everyone go, enjoy yourselves, and be blessed that you are fortunate to be able to get out and experience the world.

Tally10,

Of course I don't book because of the formal nights.It is not all me,me me as was suggested. I just said that if you don't want to follow the dress code you can always find an alternative cruise line where the dress code is more relaxed and those who don't want to do formal would not feel obliged to. I did not say that those who choose not to wear a dinner suit (tuxedo) were a load of scruffs. I'm sure that most passengers will make an effort but Celebrity should either enforce their 'rules' or forget the whole thing. It also amazes me that passengers will dress up for dinner and then go change to go to the show. After all the effort you might as well stay in your outfit until bed time. You could argue that by letting people get away with casual jackets and trousers you are making the ones that do conform feel uncomfortable by being 'overdressed'.

So totally agree. Celebrity is a mass market cruise line. Period. They are not Crystal, Cunard, or SilverSea by any stretch of the imagination. This dress code snobbery is just plain ridiculous. I have always worn a jacket and tie on formal nights and never felt out of place. Dress codes are evolving and people must learn to be more flexible. Given the new flight restrictions, it makes sense for cruise lines to be a little more foregiving.

Why drag formal clothes half way around the world to wear to for 2 hours 2 or 3 nights for dinner. The food tastes the same no matter what you wear. In fact, on our last Celebrity European cruise, we skipped formal evenings all together. We chose to eat at the alternative restaurant in the buffet area, which was very relaxing after long days ashore. Everyone go, enjoy yourselves, and be blessed that you are fortunate to be able to get out and experience the world.

You make some excellent points!

Maybe some of us are trying to cling to days gone by when cruising was not for the masses and when we could travel with as much as we wanted to schlep around or pay to have schlepped.

I really don't care what the dress code is....we will try to comply. My preference would be smart-casual (whatever that means) every night. I will not, however, choose my cruiseline based on something as trivial as formal nights. We look for value, an older demographic (like us....heeheehee), and itinerary. Formal nights don't even enter into the decision in any way. If we don't want to carry formal attire, we will choose another dining venue on formal nights.

And, in an attempt to keep this whole debate in perspective, we must remember that we (CCers) are a tiny percentage of the cruising population. Most of those who cruise just go and dress in whatever they feel is appropriate.....they don't even know that such discussions as this ever go on. And the overwhelming majority are served on formal nights in cruise ship dining rooms all across the oceans in whatever they have on.....barring, of course, the infamous torn jeans, tank top, and baseball cap.

Archived