Engaging a new craps table

joshd33

Hey everyone...

Just wondering how you guys "get going" when you hit the craps table? Do you go straight to your strategy or play slow for a little bit to get the feel of the table?

I get in slow for at least one go around. I determine if the team (the players are a team you know) are shooters or rollers. If they are shooters (as in just rolling the dice vs throwing, flipping, or tossing) I am in all the way.

If they are shooters (as in just rolling the dice vs throwing, flipping, or tossing) I am in all the way.
Care to explain the difference? Are you talking about dice setters? You know the ones that are able to roll 3 numbers before they 7 out? Are you talking about so called dice controllers? The ones that are able to roll 5 numbers before they 7 out? No one can control how the dice land. They are cubes of acrylic that are going to bounce and roll once they hit the table.

If the table is dead when I walk up I will bet the Don't Pass on the first and maybe second number before I switch to the Pass Line and start placing place bets.

If the table has players, I'll wait until the shooter makes or misses the point before I buy in. I'm a firm believer that having someone buy in while there is a point is bad luck.

Just thinkin. (I know it's dangerous). But when i approach a table and i see players holding what's left of their chips and smackin em together makin that horrible losing noise i know it's a dead table and i usually leave. I really don't like to play the don'ts. If i do play, it the same every time. Pass line with odds, place 6 & 8, maybe 22 inside and start to play the come and maybe a two way hardway now and then. Try a few shooters and if it's the way i first came up to it "DEAD" i go play a few slots. If it does HEAT up, same method with a pass line for the dealers with the odds. They love it and it makes my game much more enjoyable cause they tend to take "care" of me. And if i'm a winner when i cash, i ALWAYS leave something for the boys. Also if some yahoo throws the dice off the table (BAD LUCK) i take my bets are off on the next roll if they don't ask for SAME DICE BACK ! I am superstitious at the table.

Care to explain the difference? Are you talking about dice setters? You know the ones that are able to roll 3 numbers before they 7 out? Are you talking about so called dice controllers? The ones that are able to roll 5 numbers before they 7 out? No one can control how the dice land. They are cubes of acrylic that are going to bounce and roll once they hit the table.

I guess what I'm trying to say, are the shooters that can toss the dice and land them with one bounce against the back wall. They are also the dice setters sometimes.

You know what I mean. There are rollers (the ones that throw the dice off the table) that just roll the dice all the way down the table and the shooters that can bounce one time.

I would rather play with the shooters.

I guess what I'm trying to say, are the shooters that can toss the dice and land them with one bounce against the back wall. They are also the dice setters sometimes.

You know what I mean. There are rollers (the ones that throw the dice off the table) that just roll the dice all the way down the table and the shooters that can bounce one time.

I would rather play with the shooters.

Well, to each his own. The best consistent shooter I ever saw was this lady we called the chicken hawk. When she shot she did not gently toss the dice, she threw the dice. They would hit the back wall and almost roll all the way to the other end of the table. When letting loose of the dice she would kick one foot back and let out a yell that would scare a tennis player. She was almost always good for a 15-20 minute roll of the dice. When I roll, I try to land them at the base of the back wall. Only because I HATE when the dice go off the table.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone...

Just wondering how you guys "get going" when you hit the craps table? Do you go straight to your strategy or play slow for a little bit to get the feel of the table?

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO joshd33: You have to play your game. Play the way you normally would. Then if you start to lose you could cut your bets down. If you start winning then you might want to slowly increase your bets. It all depends on your tolerence for risk.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO joshd33: You have to play your game. Play the way you normally would. Then if you start to lose you could cut your bets down. If you start winning then you might want to slowly increase your bets. It all depends on your tolerence for risk.

Why would you ever stack your bets when you have just walked up to the table? Wouldn't you read the table first and go from there? This is about engaging the table.

Why would you ever stack your bets when you have just walked up to the table? Wouldn't you read the table first and go from there? This is about engaging the table.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO F22Smitty: First, on a cruise ship you only have a choice of one table, at least on any ship I have been on.

Second, if you wish to play at the craps table you have to play the game the way you normally do. If you don't play the way you normally do then you would become tentative and make the wrong moves. Once you make incorrect moves then you will make other incorrect moves.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO F22Smitty: First, on a cruise ship you only have a choice of one table, at least on any ship I have been on.

Second, if you wish to play at the craps table you have to play the game the way you normally do. If you don't play the way you normally do then you would become tentative and make the wrong moves. Once you make incorrect moves then you will make other incorrect moves.

I wonder what it said before it was edited?? Maybe it made some sense before editing began. One will never know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Don't have a strategy yet other than just trying to make my money last longer on the table.

A couple of weeks ago on the Glory was the first time I really got to play craps.

Get to play some more on the Fantasy in Sept though. So maybe I need to come up with one.

Does anyone ever play the 5-count? I realzie one may miss a begining of hot streak, but also avoids the shoot,point,7-out shooters or table.

Sorry but the "math" and probability doesn't support Frank's work - UNLESS you dealing with a person who is a real DI

I haven't seen any on a cruise ship and with all the sloppy play I don't really think it applies - JMO.

Sorry but the "math" and probability doesn't support Frank's work - UNLESS you dealing with a person who is a real DI

I haven't seen any on a cruise ship and with all the sloppy play I don't really think it applies - JMO.

Thanks - admittedly it has helped in past to avoid the two or three throws and out swing around a table.

I have never really found a hot ship table, and no way I can relax, having to watch for correct payouts. Always can spot a novice player (and nothing wrong with newbies) with the no odds play, or loaded up on line and no odds,or single odd behind a higher pass line bet.

buffettfan 225` Suzy

Does anyone ever play the 5-count? I realzie one may miss a begining of hot streak, but also avoids the shoot,point,7-out shooters or table.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO Buffettfan 225: I have been playing with the five count for a number of years now. To get a hot streak the shooter must make five rolls with the first and fifth being a point number or a hold number until that fifth comes along.

Many shooters will seven out before getting to the fifth roll. Does using the five count guarantee success? Of course not, but it will certainly help to get to some of the better shooters and risking money on them without losing as much as you would have betting on every shooter.

I agree 100%. What is so "magic" about a five count? After five throws (or as many as needed to get some point number thrown after the first) the probability of the next two being a point-seven combo are the same as before the 5-count began. That fact seems to be ignored by the proponents of this strategy. The only "advantage" if you want to call it that, is that your money won't be on the table as long, so your playing time on a given bankroll becomes correspondingly longer. You could replace the five count strategy with a "three minute delay" strategy and avoid betting on a shooter until he's had three minutes with the dice... probably have the same effect!

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO Buffettfan 225: I have been playing with the five count for a number of years now. To get a hot streak the shooter must make five rolls with the first and fifth being a point number or a hold number until that fifth comes along.

Many shooters will seven out before getting to the fifth roll. Does using the five count guarantee success? Of course not, but it will certainly help to get to some of the better shooters and risking money on them without losing as much as you would have betting on every shooter.

Thanks for support. Everyone will have their opinion--I guess consistency at what you do is what matters. I like five count and has saved me from many a table where dice move rapidly from shooter to shooter.

I have experimented with Scoblete's 5-count, too. More often then not it fails because the average random roller throws a 7 once every 6 times. So, more often then not, I found that when the money finally got into play the 7 came and wiped out my bets. There are a lot of good strategies, personally I like a modified Martingale on the Don't unless the shooter has already qualified himself as a DI(dice influencer).

As for dice controlling, all I can say is, if I can't, at some time or another, influence the outcome of the dice, then C.C.Sabathia can't throw a 95mph fastball for a strike. Afterall, I only have to toss them about 6 feet. However, I like it when people don't believe me.:D

Thanks for support. Everyone will have their opinion--I guess consistency at what you do is what matters. I like five count and has saved me from many a table where dice move rapidly from shooter to shooter.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO Buffettfan: Everyone does have an opinion. And they put their money were their mouth is.

The five count has saved me money lots of times by not allowing me to have bets on the line while most shooters didn't make it to the five count. It extends my playing time at a table.

Remember, you don't know who the hot shooters will be. But, a hot shooter must make the five count first.

Archived