I'm traveling from the east coast to cruise on Voyager. I have a lot of questions.

printingchick

I'm traveling from the east coast to cruise on Voyager. I have a lot of questions.

• Will likely fly into Houston. How long is the drive to Galveston?
  • We will arrive the day prior to cruise departure. Advice for where to stay that is LOW COST? We'll need two rooms, so I'm looking for something very inexpensive.
  • Do any of the LOW COST hotels offer transportation to the port? Is taxi the best option?
  • At what time do they generally allow boarding on Voyager?
  • After the cruise, what is the most cost-efficient method to get FOUR people back to the airport in Houston?

THANKS!!!

The ride from IAH was about 1 - 1 1/4 hrs. We stayed at Comfort Suites which accomodated 6 per room with free breakfast. Shuttle to pier was $20. Room was $120 I believe. We used Destiny Limousine for transportation. Reliable and on the less expensive side. 6 of us cost $175. If all goes right you can board at noon, but we had fog and couldn't board until 6:00. On the return customs was an issue so I don't think everyone got off until at least 1:00

A word to the wise...I sailed on the Voyager in February and was flying home out of Houston Hobby airport. I was at the airport the recommended 1 hour-15 minutes early, checked my bags at the curb and entered the building to see wall-to-wall people standing in a snaking line, waiting to go through security.

I was only within sight of the security check point when my flight was scheduled to take off! After running 17 gates to my plane, I discovered the plane was being held becaue it was only half full, because the rest of the passengers were still waiting to go through security.

An employee at the airport told me that's not unusual for days when cruise ships come back into port. So please, check with others using Houston Hobby to see if the employee was right, and if so, book a later flight and get to the airport waaaaaaaaaay ahead of your departure time!

Have a great cruise!

Oh and the search button in the upper right is your friend. Someone just posted a rather long list of hotels in Galveston which shows what they offer as far as transportation, parking, cost etc... The info is here on the board, just gotta dig a little bit.

Archived