Laundry while on cruise, what is your plan?

We just pack light and pay- after years of bringing back unworn stuff from holidays. 1 week non cruise for family of 4 we would like to have 1 20kg bag but I think it will be 2 20kg or 50lb bags due to the gym stuff but they will not be full (and I will take 20 books and 12 bottles sun tan lotion within that which we dont bring back)

8 day summer trip to family beach home in spain- hand luggage only- washing machine is there and only need swimwear and beach clothes. I bag each- swimsuits and 3 outfits max.

Going on a 5 day legend cruise at the end of a 3 week holiday- we will use the cleaning. The dry cleaning is much much cheaper than the Uk- I was quoted £17 or about $25 to get a plain silk daydress cleaned here yesterday (and that was at a discount cleaners). In Asia we never take our best clothes (unless they are dry clean) as all the hotel launderies use bleach. We are aiming for 3 x 50lb bags for 3 weeks for 4 but that will leave a lot of room to bring trinkets back and we will fly out with 6 bottles of champagne in case which take up room.

Hand luggage is always- swimsuit (once had no bags for 5 days and swimsuits were really hard to get) contact lenses, 1 change of clothes and credit card! 2 bags between 4 of us.

At the end of the day the only person who is aware of what you are wearing is probably yourself- so go with what you feel comfortable in.

Send items out on first night to be pressed, after unpacking.

Then use the ship's laundry service at least once, midway through the cruise for wash and fold.

We wear t-shirts and shorts most of the time, and usually wind up purchasing a few t-shirts along the way.

As far as doing our own laundry, if it was available? Not a chance. I'm on a cruise vacation. As someone else said, we figure the cost of laundry into our budget. (same with tips)

Hi their! Could you please tell me if their is an ironing room on board rci ships? Im sailing on the independance. If not how much do they charge for items to be ironed?

I'm not sure the $25 mid-week laundry bag is that good of a deal. Our steward told us that they will only do the items listed on the note, and the rest will be charged at the regular rate. Also, the bag is pretty small. So, I'd add up the items at regular rate to see if it is really a bargain.

We've always taken 7 days of clothes, and returned home with a suitcase of dirty laundry. But on our last cruise, we added 4 driving days to our 7 day cruise, and it just wasn't practical to bring so many extra clothes. We wore some of our clothes twice, mixing and matching, and we also took quick dry underwear, and washed them in the bathroom sink. We used some tide detergent that's available in the travel section of the grocery store (with all the small quantity sizes). They come in a plastic case (3 or 4 envelopes to a case), and they're the right size for washing in the sink. We also suggest taking along a flex-i-rope in case their regular laundry line doesn't work. (We had one that wouldn't work on Jewel of the Seas.) Also, remember you can hang your smaller laundry on the towel bars. There's a couple of bars next to the shower, and also a shelf (actually has four bars) that holds your folded towels.

1- Now this depends on where we are cruising to. If we are in the Caribbean, then it is easy. I won't wear anything more than t-shirts and shorts (bathing suit) 90% of the time. This makes it really easy to pack.

2- Also, consider this. One time while traveling on my own I took older t-shirts and shorts (really old) and just tossed them after they got too dirty. You could also wash them up and donate them to a church while visiting a poorer country. This saves you from having to lug them back home. It leaves more room for your purchased treasures too.

3- Maybe someone should invent travel clothing that is completely biodegradable that can just be tossed when you are done with it. This would be a greener solution.

Just for fun,

Ralph and Shelly

Interesting idea... it sure would make it easier to bring back all that St. Maarten Guavaberry Rum that DH loves so much!

Archived