Laundry while on cruise, what is your plan?

Thanks for the ideas! I think we will pack for 10 days, we are spending a couple of days in LA, I was not thrilled about doing laundry on the cruise anyway, I did that on Princess last time, and it was an all evening affair. LOL on the biodegradeable vacation wear idea, someone needs to invent and patent that...

I didn't know about the 25.00 bag we could use. That is an idea too for the really dirty stuff. We will probably just pack something formal, then tshirts and shorts and bathing suits the rest of the time anyway.

I am so glad this message board is here, the info from these boards saved me many headaches on our last cruise, which was our first cruise :)

Back in the old days, you know 5 years ago, I packed enough for the entire trip. I have done vacations as long as 4 weeks, and we had 2 giant suitcases that were always maxed out at 50 pounds. In the dark ages, 15 years ago, you could pack 70 pounds per bag internationally, and I did. Since 2004 on a land vacation to Venice, after humping luggage over the Scalzi and other smaller bridges over the canals, I have changed. This coincided with the airlines changes, and on our last TA when we were gone for 24 days. We each had 1 50 pound bag, and 1 carry-on bag. Two years ago, we bought a car in Germany, and due to its tiny trunk and two seat capacity, we travelled for 16 days with 1 carry-on and 1 small tiny backpack, and a tiny cooler. It is really true that you don't need most of the things you travel with.

On that trip our clothing ranged from nice enough to go to an opera to rugged enough to go hiking in the mountains. We each had two pair of shoes, a dark colored tennis/hiking shoe, and a simple pair of black loafers and my wifes most comfortable nice black shoes. I had a pair of black silk Tommy Bahama pants, a couple of silk sweaters, four or five quick drying t-shirts, a couple of pairs of black socks, 2 pairs of athletic socks, 2 pairs of light hiking socks, 1 pair of quick drying boxer shorts (patagonia) for sleeping, 6 pair of quick drying underwear (Patagonia), a pair of (Northface) convertible pants, a pair of hiking shorts, a light weight goretex coat black(Aigle) rain/wind jacket and a black belt. I bought a baseball cap in Salzburg and a nice shirt in St Moritz.

Obviously, since we were driving thru the mountains from Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland and France, we didn't have any laundry facilities readily at hand, so about every 4 or 5 days we would stay in some town for a couple of nights. This allowed us time to do laundry in the sink and allowed us to be ready for another 4 or 5 days of continuous travel. After you try it lighter, you find it is actually easier travelling. You don't have to lug giant suitcases up and down stairs, and you don't have to worry about finding things stuffed in a giant bag.

On our recent Mariner cruise, we had a single 50 pound suit case our two carry-ons and our two small backpacks. We travelled for about 16 days including trips to Death Valley, the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce Canyons after the cruise. We skipped the tuxedo and numerous fancy gowns for the first time. This was, also, our first my time dining experience. While I can't say that I prefer MTD, I can say it is much faster, simpler, and more flexible. I chose MTD because we could always have a table for two and we would not dissappoint those seated with us at dinner to feel uncomfortable on our account or theirs because we were not formally dressed. Again, I wore nice black pants and a very nice silk dark turtleneck on formal night. I do regret that the nature of air travel today is changing the cruising experience, but I have given in to realities. I always choose to see the world as it really is and not how I wish it were.

On a ship it always easy to do a bit of laundry in the cabin, and they do offer the $25 bag of laundry on even a 7 day cruise. Which I always take advantage of and on a TA usually twice. I always found that in the old days we still took advantage of the laundry specials, and got home to find that there were several days of outfits that we never wore. I now find it silly to lug that stuff around continents. JMHO and YMMV.

jc

O, another thought, Shout Wipes are great for those small accidents. The key to doing laundry in the sink (unfortunately I learned from not doing it) is to wash and then rinse and rinse and rinse. If you leave any soap in the clothing you will find after it dries that it smells. Wash, and super duper rinse and ring them until there is no soap what so ever in the sink. This is really the key.

The folks who sell clothing and underwear act like this stuff will dry over night and the reality is usually not likely. Hence why I usually do it when we are in a hotel for a couple of days.

jc

I guess it all comes down to choices. You can either take a few minutes out of each day to wash clothing in the sink, have the cruise line do your laundry, or spend hours when you return doing laundry.

Oh I forgot there was another option of discarding soiled clothing.

Shak

Hi,

Do laundry on holiday? :eek:

Nononononono!

Try to bring enough for the trip and use the bag service.

This next trip may be different and we will use the laundry service as we're taking 10 days to land tour first.

Here's a link to the laundry price list.

Hi their could not get the link up! We are not allowed to take irons onboard is their an ironing room on the I O T S? Are you allowed to take ghd hair staightners on board?

We are going on the IOTS in July for 14 days and I was going to rinse 'small' things myself and use the laundry bag when it came up. We are travelling with our 22 & 24 year olds who love the gym. What do you recommend they do (note they:D) with their 'sweaty' gym clothes? We have a balcony, is it ok to hang things on the balcony or do you have to keep them in the shower?

We are going on the IOTS in July for 14 days and I was going to rinse 'small' things myself and use the laundry bag when it came up. We are travelling with our 22 & 24 year olds who love the gym. What do you recommend they do (note they:D) with their 'sweaty' gym clothes? We have a balcony, is it ok to hang things on the balcony or do you have to keep them in the shower?

My son went running every day onboard and for this he brought along the quick-drying type of clothing that could be washed out and dried quickly. For the cotton socks that stayed damp, we used the $25 laundry special.

I don't think you can really hang things on the balcony but you could lay them over the chair to dry on port days.

I always bring enough clothes for the whole trip when I go on vacation, although I guess I've never been gone for more than 12 days. If I did need my clothes washed, I would just use the ship's laundry service. I don't have the patience to hand-wash my clothes in the sink at home, let alone on vacation.

yes, good question, are hair straighteners allowed on board? I sure hope so, my dd will be beside herself and my hair will look like the bride of frankensteins ha

This was probably the number one discussion and source of anxiety on our cruise roll from Costa Atlantica, April 3rd. ;) We just got back and here is the scoop on what Costa does:

If you have an iron in your suitcase, they will confiscate it. On the daily program they have safety rules and the following were not allowed to be used in the cabin: Extension cords, curling irons, hair straighteners. However, they did not confiscate these.

We were allowed to use a steam iron (the plastic kind such as ItalSteam).

On Royal Caribbean, clothes irons are not permitted and there is no ironing room, however you can send clothes out to be pressed for a nominal fee.

You CAN use hair straighteners and curling irons in your cabin.

I wouldn't suggest hanging items on your balcony, the risk of it being blown off is high. I hang my clothing in the shower. I also use inflatable hangers. These hangers eliminate creasing and also increase air flow for quicker drying. Amazon has them on sale http://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-Travel-Laundry-Hangers-Clothes/dp/B0002VQKWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1271525800&sr=8-1 .

Cotton socks can be difficult to dry overnight. I just leave them hang until dry. I did notice the other day they are making sock that dry quicker now. I have used the hair dryer to hasten drying.

Shak

Here's how we cruise: Family of four, 2 adults 2 teens, one carry on bag each. We usually are independent in port and try to make arrangments for fluff and fold while we're in port. No luck on the 4/4 Voyager, so used the ship board $25.00 deal. The bag was in our stateroom on Thursday morning, we gave it to our cabin attendent, Hospicio, immediately. Laundry was not returned Thursday PM; Hospicio said we should have it Friday. Friday afternoon we receive... someone else's laundry! Did I mention the cruise ended Sunday? We finally received the correct laundry around 10 pm Friday night, and did not receive any kind of accomodaton from RCI. I think we'll stick with carry on and laundry in port whenever possible.

On short, domestic trips, I pack enough multiple-use clothes so that I don't have to do laundry. I NEVER, EVER send anything to a ship's laundry as commercial, large capacity washers and dryers, both of which are almost always hotter than home appliances, would shrink my clothes in a heartbeat and ruin unique buttons, etc.

Last year, on a month-long cruise, I did my own laundry in a Princess ship's self-serve facility. Took about an hour a week and about 10 minutes of that I actually spent in the laundry room as our cabin was 2 doors down from the laundry room so it was easy to do laundry while sitting on my balcony.

Are there any Diamond Coupons for the laundry bag? We are spolied by perks on celebrity--free bag to each Elite cruiser--

We have a 10 day cruise , 3 days ahead in San Diego--so I guess i'll do some handwash in the sink--esp at $25 for a bag of laundry!!

Great tips. NCL Pearl had coin-op laundries in 2007, which to me was a life saver. Apparently they have been removed. I've been known to wash out stuff in the sink and hang them in the shower. Probably very annoying to the room stewards! :)

Great tips. NCL Pearl had coin-op laundries in 2007, which to me was a life saver. Apparently they have been removed. I've been known to wash out stuff in the sink and hang them in the shower. Probably very annoying to the room stewards! :)

But very typical for the stewards.

jc

On Royal Caribbean, clothes irons are not permitted and there is no ironing room, however you can send clothes out to be pressed for a nominal fee.

You CAN use hair straighteners and curling irons in your cabin.

Thankyou so much for the info.

Other than the pay option nothing is easy for us- on a 14 night cruise on the Indy which comes in the middle of a 5 week European holiday - with an 8 year old! And coming from Australia with a luggage allowance half that available from the US! Jennie

Archived