Motorbike fatality

YoPhilly

I'm live from Caribbean Princess with cautionary advice to those of you who are considering renting a car or motobike on the island - or any unfamiliar place. PLEASE be careful. Wear a helmet. Know the local driving patterns.

A fellow passenger was killed yesterday while driving a motorbike. We were in port for less than an hour when the accident occured. My husband and I happened to be walking along the main street and came upon the accident scene, and I learned later it was a passenger from Caribbean Princess. So very sad. My heart breaks for the family.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!

I too was on the Caribbean Princess on 4/16/10 and was sadden to hear about the death of one of our passengers. A gentlemen had rented an ATV vehicle, wasn't wearing a helmet, and was hit by a truck. I can't stress enough a warning to all those who may consider renting a vehicle on any of the islands for a day where you are out on your own. Last year alone, Aruba, an island of 50,000 people had 18 vehicle fatalities so please use extreme caution so you can have the best vacation possible.

St. Thomas man killed in ATV crash in Aruba

HOLIDAY TRAGEDY

By RANDY RICHMOND,

THE LONDON FREE PRESS

Last Updated: April 21, 2010 1:39am

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/04/21/13660511.html

A St. Thomas man is dead and his wife in hospital after a crash on an ATV in Aruba that has raised questions about the safety of some vacation excursions.

According to Aruba newspaper reports, Frederich Norman, 41, was killed Friday and Christine Norman, 37, was injured when an ATV they had rented was struck by a pickup truck that may have swerved into an oncoming lane.

The crash occurred on the main road that connects the port city of Oranjestad, where cruise ships dock, with resorts that line beaches to the north.

The pair was travelling on a seven-day cruise on the Caribbean Princess, said Julie Benson, vice-president of public affairs for Princess Cruise Lines in California.

"The whole thing is just so tragic," Benson said Tuesday. "We were very saddened to learn about the accident."

Benson confirmed the couple was from the St. Thomas area.

Benson also said Christine Norman had been airlifted from a hospital in Aruba to Canada.

A patient named Christine Norman was listed in fair condition Tuesday at London Health Sciences Centre, but the hospital could not confirm her age.

A four-wheel ATV ridden by the Normans collided head-on with the pickup truck, throwing both Canadians from the vehicle, according to a report in an Aruban newspaper, Diario, and online accounts from fellow passengers.

According to the newspaper story, the truck may have swerved into the ATV and police reportedly found drugs in the cab.

Photographs on the newspaper website showed the front end of the ATV smashed and ambulance crews working on victims by the side of the road.

Many travellers cited the accident as reason to be wary when choosing vacation excursions.

The ATV rental was not one sanctioned by Princess Cruise Lines, which requires a stringent set of rules and safety measures before recommending local companies to passengers, Benson said.

"I'm going to post a warning on the Aruba board -- wear a helmet and be aware of local driving rules," said a fellow cruise passenger from Philadelphia.

From different lane directions to looser safety standards, travellers take a risk when driving in other countries, several cruise ship veterans said online.

Archived