Folkestone Underwater Park

smilz

We haven't been yet. However, I searched for info on CC and the consensus is it is worth a visit. I don't know about taxi fair there. Do a search, and someone has posted the info you're looking for. We're taking the bus. See the post "Instructions for taking the bus in Barbados'

How is the snorkeling at Folkestone Underwater Park? How much for a taxi?:confused:

I was just there...unfortunately the actual Place was closed (Good Friday) But we were able to snorkel there...it was very good snorkeling. We caught a bus...I think it was 75 cents or a buck. Not far from port...going north....Last time I was there the taxis were expensive. The buses run very frequent and you just have to make sure you are on the correct side of the road for which way you are going..LOL

I have heard Harrisons cave has been refurbished...if thats open I'd go there...BUT it was also closed good friday!!

Also Paynes Bay is a little Before the Marine Park....go there if you want to snorkel and see Turtles!!

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Folkestone by bus. I'd say it took about half an hour. The bus left as soon as we got to the bus station (7-10 min walk from the cruise port). We paid for the ride with tokens that we bought at the station. The bus helper took our large beach bag and placed it next to the driver. He also told us where to get off. The ride was fine if you don't mind loud music. Barbados people are very friendly.

Snorkeling was fantastic. Pretty clear warm water, healthy corals (you have to get a bit further from the shore), nice variety of fish (a few that I haven't seen before). Initially we planned to take a short bus ride to see the turtles but we actually saw them at Folkestone.

The bus back came almost instantly. It was around 3-3:30PM when kids were returning from school. Now this was a ride from hell. The bus was packed like a can of sardines, only tighter. We were standing right in front of subwoofer and the sound was above the pain level. To get out of the bus the people were snaking their way out, stepping on peoples' feet etc. The bus was moving in a jerky fashion, stopping and lurching ahead so it was impossible to keep balance. The best analogy I could think of is a crazy red double-decker ride from Harry Potter movie. It also took much longer because of rush hour traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info on Folkestone. There are four of us traveling together that are interested in snorkeling. Would this be a good destination in Barbados? Any other recommendation of places to snorkel? Do you know if you were on a government bus? When I looked at their website, it said that loud music was not allowed. (I know that saying it and enforcing it are two different things!) We had good luck with the bus system in Aruba....I think we will try it here too! Any advice?

I'm posting this photo of a Government-owned shuttle bus at the Bridgetown Port..

Shuttle-26.jpg

to illustrate the colour scheme you should be looking for.

Government buses that run down the West Coast to Folkestone will be larger

but painted in this same color scheme.

You should probably try to use these buses, rather than..

If you catch one of the yellow buses with a blue stripe

those are the independently-run buses, and are usually OK

except for afternoons around 3 p.m. when schools let out the kids

-and when travelling on the yellows with blue stripes is inadvisable

unless you're into Jamaican Dancehall Culture, if yew ketch mah drift.. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We have gone to Folkestone 2x snorkeled once and loved it! Saw some different fish, one looked like a sea snake, but I have been told there are no snakes in the Caribbean, but it was cool to see. The second time we didn't snorkel because we just didnt' feel like it, but as soon as we left I regretted not going. We are excited to take the kids there next winter and are also excited to take them on a Barbados Bus ride. They are wild and crazy rides, but so much fun! The old church and graveyard there are wonderful to see. After we spent time there, we just started walking back to town to take in the area, when we got tired we got on a bus for a ride back.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anybody know if there is a charge to get into Folkstone??

Also, is there a beach there to chill out??

No charge for Folkestone that I know of.

It's a free public park, run by the Barbados Government so there should be no charge

unless there's some extenuating circumstances I'm unaware of (like some special occasion,maybe?)

-but even that's a stretch..

Beach is minimal at Folkestone, so don't expect a gorgeous stretch of sand, coz it ain't!

-but after-snorkelling you might take a walk South about half-mile

to the much nicer beach at Holetown

HtownBay-413.jpg

Folkestone is at extreme left of this photo.

The Folkestone snorkelling area is within a larger designated marine park area, so it should be quite nice.

In all honesty, I haven't snorkelled out there since the mid-1960s :eek:

when I was working with an American geologist, comparing living reefs to the fossilized deposits inland.

Back then it was healthy enough, but that was ..OMG.. 45 years ago !

• 4 months later...

Archived