Transatlantic Question

aruvqan

Hello all .. I just did my first motor vessel cruise this past Feb and I loved it!

Being handicapped changes how you travel. This is neither good nor bad, though it can be annoying on a personal level. I was looking at the prices for a transatlantic crossing because of discussions on a different message board I am on. A friend's sister is currently stuck in Ireland thanks to Iceland misunderstanding our demand for *C*ash and sending the world *ash* instead! ;)

I see that they port in Hamburg, and the cost for an inside seems quite reasonable [literally about what one way costs to fly] Is the price the same if you are just a single? Or is it extra? [quick check, it seems to be about $900 base cost, plus tips, fuel surcharge and whatever taxes.]

Next silly question, do they have handicapped accessible inside singles? I can make do with a regular stateroom in a pinch as long as it either has a shower with grab bars and a seat, or a bath tub with grab bars and a seat. I can manage to gimp around enough on crutches inside a stateroom if I absolutely have to.

Silly question the third - schlepping luggage. When I wheel meself about, I need someone else to lug the luggage for me. I typically travel with a wheeled suitcase and a laptop case, with a slightly oversized purse/backpack sort of chair bag that carries my medications and assorted paperwork, wallet, folding crutches and usual stuff that people carry around. If i tip nicely, I can get a porter type person to move my luggage from stateroom to offboard, or to get it from my cab to onboard? I normally travel with my husband who sherpas our stuff around, but I am considering visiting a friend in Germany so would be without my personal sherpa-dude. Since I would be not traveling by plane, I could probably pack my laptop and stuff I normally put in the laptop case into my rolly luggage ... but I would still need someone to help me with the rolly suitcase through customs and out to the auto pick up area to meet my friend.

Thanks =)

I normally travel with my husband who sherpas our stuff around, but I am considering visiting a friend in Germany so would be without my personal sherpa-dude.

According to this site:

Wheelchair-bound passengers must be accompanied by a companion for access to all other areas of the ship.

So looks like you would need your personal sherpa-dude. Sorry - perhaps a reason to persuade him to come along?

According to this site:
Wheelchair-bound passengers must be accompanied by a companion for access to all other areas of the ship.

So looks like you would need your personal sherpa-dude. Sorry - perhaps a reason to persuade him to come along?

They state you will have access to your HC access stateroom ... so why would I need Rob if I dont feel the need to go to see a show, or go on a nonexistant tender trip [in a transatlantic there are no fun ports to tender to]? I would even probably be perfectly happy doing nothing more than going to the dining room and if the weather permits sitting on the deck. Though since I tend to do a lot of my traveling through the winter, sitting on the deck in a north atlantic transit isn't appealing :eek:

And he is the one that works, no extended vacations for him ... we are unfortunately neither retired nor rich :(

Can disabled guests travel? (From FAQs on Cunard.com)

Guests with disabilities are welcome aboard Cunard vessels. Due to the configuration of our ships, however, wheelchair users and individuals with sight impairments may experience some difficulties in accessing certain areas. Where such individuals would be unable to de safely and comfortably accommodated due to such barriers or other criteria, we may suggest that the guest be accompanied by a companion. For safety reasons, guests in wheelchairs cannot be carried on launches in ports where the ship is at anchor. Upon notification by a guests with a disability, Cunard Reservations will provide written specifications detailing cabin and doorway widths and other pertinent access limitations on board the vessels. Cunard is pleased to permit individuals to bring service animals on board.

And from Cunard.co.uk FAQs:

A ship is not always the easiest environment for using a wheelchair. Although our crew are always very helpful, they are unable to assist you in moving around the ship, or in any personal day-to-day tasks. For this reason we would suggest guests are accompanied by a personal assistant/travelling companion to provide these services.

Glancing at the deck plans, it appears that there are handicapped inside cabins on decks 4, 5, and 6. There are no single staterooms on QM2 - single occupancy of a stateroom runs 175-200% of the per person fare.

Best bet is to call Cunard - 1-800-7CUNARD

Don't have a clue about the luggage - sorry!

The Cunard site is very uninformative compared to the Royal Caribbean site ... I read the faq, and all the information on the site. It never actually comes out and says the 175-200% thing ...

It really sucks they don't have single cabins =(

There are no single cabins on QM2, QV or the new QE, unfortunately. However, the single supplement is usually 50% 75% more except in the Grills Suites where its 100% more. As for luggage, you can have the luggage loaded aboard with out your needing to haul it. When your in port, there are usually porters who will help you though customs and immigrations with your bags.

As I read your posts, you are able to get about most of your day to day tasks with out help. On a transatlantic to Hamburg, you won't have to worry about a tender which is a good thing, they are tough for me to handle as they are. The ship has a number of handicapped fittings to the mini lifts that help passengers get up and down on the half decks.

The best way to deal with your questions, is to call Cunard. I have delt with them a lot and they are a terrific crew.

Good luck and happy sailing.

Mike

You can give your luggage curbside to porters and the next time you see it will be in your cabin. If you still need help with a carry-on there are people at check-in that can accompany you onto the ship and help with carry-on. I assume you use an electric chair so would not need a "driver" to help get you on the ship. Word of advice - handicap cabins are among ther first to be booked. Reserve far in advance for best chance of handicap cabin. The crew are extremely helpful to passsengers in wheelchairs. Hope you get the chance to cross.

The Cunard website's suggestion that a disabled person have a companion is just that -- a suggestion. Since QM2 calls at US ports it is subject to ADA, and hence the OP cannot be restricted from the ship unless her disability falls within a very narrow range of those which may "cause resonable and forseeable threat of injury or damage to the health of" herself or others. Having traveled with a disabled (and very independent!) person on a previous TA, she was able to get around the ship quite well entirely on her own 99% of the time -- the one percent challenge being access to open deck space sometimes (the big heavy doors and oaccasiona lip). She had a marvellous time, and refers to QM2 as one of the most disabled-friendly travel experience she has ever had.

Archived