Any fellow preggo cruisers?

Oceanbluecruisers

Hi!

This is going to be my 1st cruise being pregnant; I'll be in the in the beginning of 2nd trimester (8 total cruises though :))

I have some questions! How long were you when you went cruising? Did you feel self conscious? What activities did you get involved in? Did you use the gym/spa? Did you have to get a doctor's note to cruise? Did you sleep well? What are the best places to get resort wear for pregnant women?

Any other advice?

Thanks!!!

I just got back from sailing the Carnival Imagination two days ago. I am currently 21 weeks pregnant. For Carnival, if you admit to being pregnant you will have to bring the pregnancy form all filled out by your Dr. and you will have to file it with them ahead of time. If you don't mention it, they will not know, but as the other poster indicated you may want to read the discussion thread he/she attached the link for.

As for being self-concious, I was not at all. I have a fair sized pregnancy belly already and I wore my bikini. I'm not a self-concious person though so that might make a difference. I wore summer maternity wear whenever not in a bathing suit. You'll need maternity stuff soon enough anyway so you might as well get some stuff that you can wear all summer and just wear it on the cruise.

As for where to buy stuff, I like to save money (especially since you're only in maternity clothes for such a short time) so I borrow from friends and buy second hand or on sale whenever possible.

As for activities, I didn't use the gym or spa but only because I'm not really the gym or spa type. I walked tons and took the stairs as much as possible to help keep me in shape and help burn off the calories from the yummy food! The only thing being pregnant would change for me on a cruise would be; no alcohol, more concious effort to avoid smokers, not doing very active excursions like zip-lining and maybe going to bed a little early due to being tired.

Enjoy cruising, this may be your last break for a while!

I cruised in 2006 while about 21 weeks pregnant on RCCL. I had a MD note and a copy of my medical records with me, but no one ever asked to see them. I wasn't self conscious, as a matter of fact I think I got special treatment from the crew because of it!!

I did get a massage at the spa and was just sure to tell them I was pregnant so they could modify the tummy lying stuff...

If you are on a boat that has not recently updated bedding or is not a newer ship with better bedding.... I would ask your stateroom attendant for an "egg crate" they will put it under the sheet and it made a HUGE difference for my hips!

Just remember no hot tubs.... that was the hardest thing for me as they are usually a favorite spot of mine!!!

I cruised at 22 weeks on Celebrity -- almost 6 years ago now. I did have a letter with me.

I wasn't too keen on laying out on the pool deck, but I did enjoy our balcony (extra big one on the Sky Deck on C-class). The baby loved the shows (kicked to the beat) and snorkeling (the floating helped her take a rare nap), and I slept better than I had in a long time. I had just gotten over 'morning sickness' that lasted from 3 to 20 weeks, and was concerned about sea sickness, but even in rough seas that sent lots of people to their cabins for a few days, I was fine.

CC people I cruised with that time still ask me about that baby. She's 5 now, and we haven't taken the kids since before she was born, so our December trip on Liberty will be her first cruise 'in the open'.

I cruised at 22 weeks on Celebrity -- almost 6 years ago now. I did have a letter with me.

I wasn't too keen on laying out on the pool deck, but I did enjoy our balcony (extra big one on the Sky Deck on C-class). The baby loved the shows (kicked to the beat) and snorkeling (the floating helped her take a rare nap), and I slept better than I had in a long time. I had just gotten over 'morning sickness' that lasted from 3 to 20 weeks, and was concerned about sea sickness, but even in rough seas that sent lots of people to their cabins for a few days, I was fine.

CC people I cruised with that time still ask me about that baby. She's 5 now, and we haven't taken the kids since before she was born, so our December trip on Liberty will be her first cruise 'in the open'.

I could have written your post. I was 22 weeks on my first cruise and took my daughter for her second cruise (first ex-utero) last summer when she was five. She had a fantastic time and is counting down until our next one.

To the OP, yes, I did have the letter from my OB and no, I did not feel self-conscious. I was in that awful in-between not looking quite pregnant yet, but big enough to be wearing maternity clothing. I bought a non-maternity bathing suit in a larger size and a couple of maternity dresses from oldnavy.com.

Congratulations and have a great time!

Thanks for the replies! I enjoyed reading them..

My husband is a doctor, so I'm not worried about having a note with me. I did read the guidelines...not worried about them. I'll be about 16 weeks on the cruise.. hopefully I won't be showing too much :) I'm a sun worshipper, so I plan on staying by the pool... I'm mostly looking forward to the food though :)

I can't remember how many months I was when I cruised pregnant. I did it three times (two kids) twice in the first trimester and once in the second trimester. The only notable things I can remember that were not like any cruise not pregnant were...

On one cruise I had a massage. I made sure I told them I was pregnant because there are certain areas they should avoid. I know there is a pressure point in the ankles that can cause contractions. Also they mentioned to me that some of the aroma therapies or massage oils are not good because they are absorbed into the skin and can go to the baby.

The other thing I remember was that I purchased a soda card (princess ship) because I wasn’t drinking alcohol but found out after that most of what you could get with the soda card had caffeine in it. Most of the things I wanted, like root-bear you could not get with the card and had to pay for separately. All I can say is check it out first before buying a package!

Oh, funny story though, we were on a Caribbean cruise when I was about a month or two along (not showing yet) and went on a shore excursion where we got to swim with dolphins. Being my first baby, I was paranoid about everything, I told the trainers when we got there that I was pregnant. Next thing I know they are telling me I can’t go in the with the dolphins now because the they can sense the baby and they are trying to mate these two and they don’t want to disturb them in any way. I was hormonal of course and cried. LOL After a few minutes of them discussing it, they decided to give it a try, introducing me to the dolphins alone first to see how they would react. It was pretty interesting, they treated me a little different then the others, they would clear their blow holes as they passed me always making sure to get me in the face. And when we were done and leaving, as I walked around the tank to the exit, one followed me with its head out of the water keeping pace as I walked by. Pretty funny but overall a great experience!!

My husband is a doctor, so I'm not worried about having a note with me. I did read the guidelines...not worried about them. I'll be about 16 weeks on the cruise.. hopefully I won't be showing too much :) I'm a sun worshipper, so I plan on staying by the pool... I'm mostly looking forward to the food though :)

Hi--I could be missing something, but you still need a note, even if your husband is a doctor. Or, did you mean that he would write the note? You might not be showing at 16 weeks, but if you need any care (hopefully not) it would be better to have the proper documentation.

Have a great time!

Hi--I could be missing something, but you still need a note, even if your husband is a doctor. Or, did you mean that he would write the note? You might not be showing at 16 weeks, but if you need any care (hopefully not) it would be better to have the proper documentation.

Have a great time!

I completely agree! If DH is the designated and licensed/certified OB/GYN in care of DW, that's one thing. If DH is a non- OB/GYN physician, that's another thing completely, and he could not write "the note". Sounds like Oceanbluecruisers is "not worried" about the things she DOES need to be worried about! Really silly, and not very smart.

The note only protects the cruise line's ass, it doesn't make it any more or less safe for the pregnant woman.

I assume that the OP was suggesting that should she actually need it in writing that she can cruise her hubby can write that for her as he's qualified as a Dr. A woman needs to decide if it's safe to cruise based on many factors and having a piece of paper with a signature on it doesn't make it all of a sudden safe, and not having the paper doesn't make it unsafe.

In fact, my Dr. signed my form about 2 months before my cruise. A lot could've changed in those 2 months and it was up to me to be responsible and decide whether or not it was a good idea to cruise!

My Dermatologist can also sign a waiver allowing me to cruise without my CPAP? Because he's a Doctor? OP has stated that this is her first pregnancy. All the more reason to do what's required, and follow the guidelines! Yeah, OP actually does need that form signed by her OB/GYN physician! And then there's the matter of trip insurance...............

As others have mentioned, unless your DH is not only an OB/GYN, but also your OB/GYN, a note from him will not be sufficient. Your own OB must certify that you are fit to travel and specify exactly how many weeks you are. This is definitely a CYA for the cruise line, but they can (not necessarily will) take it extremely seriously and deny you boarding if you do not have the required letter from your own OB. They may not even request it, but why take a chance?

beachchick

Have a great time!

I've seen many many pregnant woman on cruise ships. I also read in many books that it's safe to cruise/travel when pregnant. I'm saying that I'm not worried b/c my husband is a doctor, therefore knows that it's safe to travel. If he thought it was unsafe, he wouldn't of booked it himself. Of course I'll have a note from the doctor. I'm not scared to ask, and it's not a big deal. And I'm traveling in the 2nd trimester, which at that point is considered safe from miscarriages.

With that being said, we have read the guidelines for Celebrity. They just want you to "fax" the information. That's all...

Celebrity Cruises cannot accept guests who will have entered their 24th week of pregnancy by the beginning of, or at any time during the cruise or cruisetour. A physician's "Fit to Travel" note is required prior to sailing, stating how far along (in weeks) your pregnancy will be at the beginning of the cruise and confirming that you are in good health and not experiencing a high-risk pregnancy. The "Fit to Travel" note should be faxed to the Access Department at 1-954-628-9622. Please contact us at 1-866-592-7225 or at special_needs@celebrity.com if you have already booked a cruise or cruisetour and do not meet this requirement.

I can't remember how many months I was when I cruised pregnant. I did it three times (two kids) twice in the first trimester and once in the second trimester. The only notable things I can remember that were not like any cruise not pregnant were...

On one cruise I had a massage. I made sure I told them I was pregnant because there are certain areas they should avoid. I know there is a pressure point in the ankles that can cause contractions. Also they mentioned to me that some of the aroma therapies or massage oils are not good because they are absorbed into the skin and can go to the baby.

The other thing I remember was that I purchased a soda card (princess ship) because I wasn’t drinking alcohol but found out after that most of what you could get with the soda card had caffeine in it. Most of the things I wanted, like root-bear you could not get with the card and had to pay for separately. All I can say is check it out first before buying a package!

Oh, funny story though, we were on a Caribbean cruise when I was about a month or two along (not showing yet) and went on a shore excursion where we got to swim with dolphins. Being my first baby, I was paranoid about everything, I told the trainers when we got there that I was pregnant. Next thing I know they are telling me I can’t go in the with the dolphins now because the they can sense the baby and they are trying to mate these two and they don’t want to disturb them in any way. I was hormonal of course and cried. LOL After a few minutes of them discussing it, they decided to give it a try, introducing me to the dolphins alone first to see how they would react. It was pretty interesting, they treated me a little different then the others, they would clear their blow holes as they passed me always making sure to get me in the face. And when we were done and leaving, as I walked around the tank to the exit, one followed me with its head out of the water keeping pace as I walked by. Pretty funny but overall a great experience!!

Thanks for the post! It was actually what I was looking for! And on topic!

I've seen many many pregnant woman on cruise ships. I also read in many books that it's safe to cruise/travel when pregnant. I'm saying that I'm not worried b/c my husband is a doctor, therefore knows that it's safe to travel. If he thought it was unsafe, he wouldn't of booked it himself. Of course I'll have a note from the doctor. I'm not scared to ask, and it's not a big deal. And I'm traveling in the 2nd trimester, which at that point is considered safe from miscarriages.

With that being said, we have read the guidelines for Celebrity. They just want you to "fax" the information. That's all...

Celebrity Cruises cannot accept guests who will have entered their 24th week of pregnancy by the beginning of, or at any time during the cruise or cruisetour. A physician's "Fit to Travel" note is required prior to sailing, stating how far along (in weeks) your pregnancy will be at the beginning of the cruise and confirming that you are in good health and not experiencing a high-risk pregnancy. The "Fit to Travel" note should be faxed to the Access Department at 1-954-628-9622. Please contact us at 1-866-592-7225 or at special_needs@celebrity.com if you have already booked a cruise or cruisetour and do not meet this requirement.

One more thing, don't forget the many people who do cruise who are sick, have emergencies such as appendicitis, heart conditions, etc that do not inform the cruiselines about. Bottom line is this, everyone has a risk at something... And accidents can happen too! I've seen people break their leg, bleed uncontrollably (got cut on coral), appendicitis pain, Heart attack... I even saw newborns on the cruise! -That was a couple of years ago!

I haven't heard anything about pregnancy problems. Before this rule took place for pregnancy, I've seen people 8 months pregnant on the cruiseship! That was only a few years ago! Anyway, I'm excited to go on another cruise before the little one arrives. I can take the child at 6 months! Yay!

Thanks!

Before this rule took place for pregnancy, I've seen people 8 months pregnant on the cruiseship! That was only a few years ago!

You list your first cruise as 2004. The rule was in place when I cruised while pregnant in 2003. Yes, they have bumped the maximum number of weeks back from 26 to 24 because survival rates for preemies have improved, but they've never let pregnant women cruise in the third trimester. I couldn't imagine taking the risk! Not to mention, lugging myself around at 8 months pregnant was very different than at 5 months.

And the comment that the second trimester is 'safe from miscarriages' could be hurtful to some. Yes, you're technically correct because at that point, it would be a stillbirth, not a miscarriage.

I asked the person on the cruise.. she said 8. This was on RC, cruised out of San Juan!

I doubt cruising is going to cause a stillborn. You can fly up to your due date.

I doubt cruising is going to cause a stillborn. You can fly up to your due date.

Cause it? No. The issue is care if it happens.

And no, you can't fly up until your due date. 36 weeks is the limit for most airlines. Some will let you fly 7 days before due date if your doctor has examined you within 72 hours of your flight.

You list your first cruise as 2004. The rule was in place when I cruised while pregnant in 2003. Yes, they have bumped the maximum number of weeks back from 26 to 24 because survival rates for preemies have improved, but they've never let pregnant women cruise in the third trimester. I couldn't imagine taking the risk! Not to mention, lugging myself around at 8 months pregnant was very different than at 5 months.

And the comment that the second trimester is 'safe from miscarriages' could be hurtful to some. Yes, you're technically correct because at that point, it would be a stillbirth, not a miscarriage.

I'm pretty sure the poster meant that the loss of a pregnancy in the second trimester (which DOES happen, for a variety of reasons) is termed a "stillbirth" (after 20 weeks). NOT that the cruise causes it, just that the terminology is different. I assume she is just pointing out that although less likely, there is really no point in pregnancy that is "safe" from loss.

But aside from all that.... I just wanted to add that I cruised at 13 weeks with my first pregnancy and had no problems at all other than feeling more motion sickness than usual... I have never been affected by motion sickness before (or since) so I was really surprised when the relatively calm motion of the boat was bothering me. You may ask your dr. for something ahead of time that is safe to take just in case.

Enjoy your cruise... I loved having that vacation with just my hubbie before our lives were changed (in a good way!!)

Archived