Alaska on a BUDGET

prncsscruiser

Hey guys, We are going to Alaska leaving June 12 for one week, our ports are juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Prince Rupert. We are contemplating some excursions, however are also thinking of trying to find things to do on our own. I would love to hear some suggestions or past experiences on cheap or "free" things to do there. thanks everyone!

In Ketchikan we did the Duck Tour, I think it was $38 each. This was about 2 hour tour on land around town and its an amphibious vehicle that then goes into the harbor and continues the tour by water. Afterwards we walked around town and visited Creek Street. The Duck tour had a kid dressed in a duck outfit on the port looking for customers. Their office to buy the tickets was nearby. I think the duck kid walked you down there.

Ride the local bus in Juneau to the Mendenhall Glacier. It is cheap and runs constantly. In Skagway my son and I rented a bicycle built for two and had a self guided tour of the entire town. He still talks about it.

Realize though that the public bus in Juneau drops you off about 1 mile from the visitor center.

We did Alaska last June on Serenade on a very tight budget. We did not do any ship sponsored excursions. We've gone whale watching before so we weren't interested in that.. you can see soooo many whales right there off the ship.

In port, we wandered off the ship and went to the museums and asked locals where a good place to eat was and what thing should we absolutely not miss while in town. We had a ton of great suggestions. We loved the museums!

If you decide to ride the public bus in Juneau find out from the driver before you leave downtown exactly what the return schedule is. You don't want to miss your ship's departure.

Yes, it is a mile from the bus stop to the glacier. A long dusty country mile with a lot of tour buses going past.

Head to your library and take out Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, both have walking tours listed. It would be a benefit to go over this prior to arrival, so to make the best use of your time.

I have a walking tour posted for Ketchikan, should be able to find it? But the "bargain" here is Totem Bight. Allow 3 hours, gotten to via city bus. Pick up across from the dock Eagle Totem, outside the tunnel. You want the Blue bus, $1. To the turn around point at Totem Bight. Print out and bring with you the totem guidesheet. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totembgh.htm

In Ketchikan, just walk over to creek street and take in the town. Take the Married mans trail up the creek if you need some walking to take off that food from the ships. However do stop at the "Tai House" for lunch over on creek street. That is where many of the crew go if they have the day off.

In Skagway, we walked to the Gold Rush Cemetary. It's about 1.25 miles from the port. It was lovely to walk through town (all of something like 22 blocks long and 8 wide LOL!). We met many local people as well as others doing the same thing we were and we had a great time just talking to people. We also went to the typical touristy stores just to window shop. We took our own bottles of water & got some fudge at the candy shop + bought a battery for my camera & we spent less than $50 (and $40 of it was the battery LOL). If we were to go again, we'd rent a car and head up to Emerald lake or do a float/hike on the Chilkoot Trail. If my husband was more of a bicylist, I'd have loved to do a bike tour. If you decide to do this, schedule in advance as the tours were sold out well in advance of our arrival.

In Juneau we took shuttle to Mendenhall (just picked one up from the office at the dock on our own; no need to pay a few extra $ to the cruiseline). I think the cost was $14 each.

In Ketchikan, we did our own walking tour up Creek Street and then further along Ketichikan Creek to the raptor center/fish hatchery and then the Totem Heritage center. We were lucky that the salmon were running. I think we paid $13 each for the hatchery & totem center on a combined ticket.

Purpleprincess4--How far is your husband used to biking? The glacier is quite a ways from the port (where most bikes are rented).

Yes, you do need the shuttle bus all the way to the visitor center at Mendenhall. Still inexpensive. We caught it right off the ship. It still is a hike to the base of the falls from the visitor center. Last year there was a rock fall you had to traverse to get to the flat area below the falls. If that is repaired and I think they were working on it then, the hike is mostly level ground.

• 3 weeks later...
Rent a car and explore on your own. We have rented cars in Ketchikan and Skagway, seen the sites and had wonderful days at very minimal costs. This year we will be renting a car in Juneau too.

Are the car rental companies at the pier? Is Hertz there? Thanks.. I understand that car rental pricing is high in Alaska but with my corporate pricing I pay $36 a day plus taxes with free mileage and insurance, no matter where I am (other than NYC).

Are the car rental companies at the pier? Is Hertz there? Thanks.. I understand that car rental pricing is high in Alaska but with my corporate pricing I pay $36 a day plus taxes with free mileage and insurance, no matter where I am (other than NYC).

In Ketchikan I rent from Alaska Car rental. IN the past, they have picked up at the dock. Hertz doesn't shuttle, that I know of in Ketchikan?? Would need a cab, or the city bus back and forth.

Actually, I can get similar pricing from Avis and National. I've never used them, however.

Actually, don't count on it. Some of these offices are independent, and do not accept any coupons/discounts etc. I suggest, if interested, then inquire directly what is available and rates.

Actually, don't count on it. Some of these offices are independent, and do not accept any coupons/discounts etc. I suggest, if interested, then inquire directly what is available and rates.

Yeah, I tried making a reservation with Avis for Skagway today (on a random day in August, just for the heck of it) and it claimed not to have any cars at my corporate rate. My Hertz rate is typically available everywhere, never tried Avis before so I guess it doesn't work the same.

Yeah, I tried making a reservation with Avis for Skagway today (on a random day in August, just for the heck of it) and it claimed not to have any cars at my corporate rate. My Hertz rate is typically available everywhere, never tried Avis before so I guess it doesn't work the same.

If you're a USAA member - try their discount. It did help us save some off of a midsize car (all that's left!) while we're in Skagway.

Archived