What to do on Labadee

Kugel

Now that Labadee has been expanded since I was there April 2009, can anyone tell me about the different beach areas and activities. Which beach is better to go to? We just stayed where we got off the tender last year. Now that their is a pier where do you recommend going.

Hi cruiser: Since you've been to Labadee with the new paved walkway, could you please approximate how long a walk it is to the beach area for RCL BBQ? If it is too far a walk, we may have to skip this beach day! Getting there may not be terrible, but walking back after being in the sun/water, will probably be too much for us. Are there any other options, other than walking to get to the beach for the BBQ?

Thanks very much.

PS We are sailing the Explorer 11/7.

Hi cruiser: Since you've been to Labadee with the new paved walkway, could you please approximate how long a walk it is to the beach area for RCL BBQ? If it is too far a walk, we may have to skip this beach day! Getting there may not be terrible, but walking back after being in the sun/water, will probably be too much for us. Are there any other options, other than walking to get to the beach for the BBQ?

Thanks very much.

PS We are sailing the Explorer 11/7.

There are several BBQs set up. If you go to Dragon's Point Beach it is only a short walk from the pier to the beach and the BBQ. However, it is a long beach and people have the option to walk further away from the pier and eating area. It is a nice beach to go to if you want to watch people going down the zip line. It is not the best beach of you want to go into the water and do not like a bit of surf.

The walk from the pier to Nellie's beach was about 10 min? From Nellie's to the BBQ (which was good this time, IOS) was about 5 minutes.

Parts of the walkways are shaded by trees, and it is very, very flat, so it really isn't a bad walk and there are things to look at along the way. There might be two ways to get somewhere, and one is flat, and the other is hilly, so just stick to the flat areas. We were undecided about which of two routes to take and the employee told us which was the 'easier' way.

We've never been to Labadee and are looking forward to our stop there in November. My husband is disabled and will have a scooter onboard. Will he be able to use the scooter once he leaves the ship or will he have to travel through sandy spots? I read that there is a sidewalk but I'm not sure if it is available to go from the ship to the shopping area and the lunch area. Any info on accessibility on Labadee would be greatly appreciated!

We've never been to Labadee and are looking forward to our stop there in November. My husband is disabled and will have a scooter onboard. Will he be able to use the scooter once he leaves the ship or will he have to travel through sandy spots? I read that there is a sidewalk but I'm not sure if it is available to go from the ship to the shopping area and the lunch area. Any info on accessibility on Labadee would be greatly appreciated!

I have the same question...

Is Labadee Scooter, Walker, and Handicapped Friendly!

We have rented a scooter for my Wife and they say we can use it off the ship but looking at a photo of it, it doesent look like it is useable in soft sand. :eek:

dasher9-2.jpg

Can't answer the scooter question, but I did see someone using a wheelchair on the pier. The employees offered to exchange it for one that had big wheels, suitable for using on the sand.

Regarding accessibility: I did not pay close attention but it did seem like the walkways were everywhere, and flat.

I looked at the picture of the scooter; maybe they mean for it to be used along the walkways, between destinations. The wheels do not look 'sand-accessible'.

I am confident the the scooter is for hard surfaced pathways only.

I called RCI and they looked into Handicapped Access and said that we should not have a problem but they didn't seem too confident.

Now one of these things would work out nicely...

Polaris.jpg

The new Polaris, 4 wheel drive, Electric Vehicle. I want one of these bad for my historical explorations.

I called RCI and they looked into Handicapped Access and said that we should not have a problem but they didn't seem too confident.

The walkways were abundant, but sometimes meandering. A few times I did walk on sand because it was the more direct route but you can just stay on the paths. The way it was set up with the signs and pathways reminded me of Animal Kingdom in DisneyWorld.

ps I know the pier looks long but the ocean is beautiful and the water is crystal clear so it doesn't seem that way when you walk it. You should be able to see some fish swimming around the rocky areas near the pier.

Thanks to all for your replies! Maybe we'll be able to do it after all...We do want to get in the water a little. Will there be chairs set up? Is the BBQ area covered?

Thank you again....

The BBQ areas are covered. There are workers who set up a chair for you where ever you want it placed.

Thanks for so much info on Labadee. I really would like to take my handicapped husband off the ship to spend some time in Labadee as it sounds like he would be able to stay on the walkways in the scooter and avoid the sand.

Is there an area near the barbeque that has tables and chairs or picnic tables and benches? If there are picnic tables and benches, are the benches attached to the tables?

Also, how far is the closest barbeque location to the dock?

I was just in Labadee in January when we were on the Solstice. I am a manuel full time wheelchair user. A T5 para. The paths are fine and easy to get around. There is even an accessible toilet stall in the bathroom I used. There are also beach chairs wheelchairs. They are big wheelchairs with big inflatable tires which can roll on the sand. There are fellows with these chairs that will push you around if you so chose. They expect a tip which is OK. I have had wonderful fellows help us before the paths and only one who was a little pushy in the tip amount department. If you can transfer to a gulf cart type thing they also have a gulf cart type trolly that goes around the island if you do not want to walk.

I have to say even though I am a T5 para I preferred Labadee about 10 years ago when there were no paths and it was a simple beautiful place. Now it has a very manufactured feel. JMHO.

Jean

Archived