Totem Brite State Park vs Saxman Native Village

Casey2

We went last June, and actually booked an independent tour that went to both of them. The one downside to the independent tours is that you don't get to go into the carving shed at Saxman Village (you walk by outside and look in through glass windows, so we didn't feel that we missed too much) or go into the clan house to see the dancers. My family didn't care about the dancers, so it worked out just fine for us.

I went expecting to prefer Saxman Village -- I'd heard more about their totem poles, including the Lincoln one, and just thought it would be more interesting. We went to Totem Bight first, and I actually ended up preferring it. It is located right off the water in the middle of the rain forest. The setting was beautiful. There was a nice gift shop there that was fun to look around (same thing at Saxman). We did go into the clan house there, and there was another tour guide giving a talk about what the clan house was used for that was interesting.

Saxman Village is located closer to town and for some reason just didn't seem quite as interesting to me. If I went back, I'd probably choose to go to Totem Bight over Saxman. If you are interested in doing both, we booked through sourdough tours. I located a website for them (sorry, don't remember what it was), and just booked via email. Our tour guide was a native of Ketchikan, and gave us a lot of interesting information about both sites as well as the town. The tour also included a tour of Dolly's house, which was kind of fun.

We went last June, and actually booked an independent tour that went to both of them. The one downside to the independent tours is that you don't get to go into the carving shed at Saxman Village (you walk by outside and look in through glass windows, so we didn't feel that we missed too much) or go into the clan house to see the dancers. My family didn't care about the dancers, so it worked out just fine for us.

I went expecting to prefer Saxman Village -- I'd heard more about their totem poles, including the Lincoln one, and just thought it would be more interesting. We went to Totem Bight first, and I actually ended up preferring it. It is located right off the water in the middle of the rain forest. The setting was beautiful. There was a nice gift shop there that was fun to look around (same thing at Saxman). We did go into the clan house there, and there was another tour guide giving a talk about what the clan house was used for that was interesting.

Saxman Village is located closer to town and for some reason just didn't seem quite as interesting to me. If I went back, I'd probably choose to go to Totem Bight over Saxman. If you are interested in doing both, we booked through sourdough tours. I located a website for them (sorry, don't remember what it was), and just booked via email. Our tour guide was a native of Ketchikan, and gave us a lot of interesting information about both sites as well as the town. The tour also included a tour of Dolly's house, which was kind of fun.

Hi!

The one thing I would suggest makes Saxman Village special is that if you are allowed into the carving shed you can visit with the craftsmen working there. It was fascinating and I found myself wishing we had more time.

As I remember, Totem Bight did not offer an on-site workshop like that. Either way, the carvings are beautiful and the stories bring them to life!

Hi!

The one thing I would suggest makes Saxman Village special is that if you are allowed into the carving shed you can visit with the craftsmen working there. It was fascinating and I found myself wishing we had more time.

As I remember, Totem Bight did not offer an on-site workshop like that. Either way, the carvings are beautiful and the stories bring them to life!

Mike and Budget Queen: My husband is very interested in carving and a visit to the carving shed will be important to him. What tours have preference? Are you referring to tours though the cruise line?

Thanks!

Sharon

Mike and Budget Queen: My husband is very interested in carving and a visit to the carving shed will be important to him. What tours have preference? Are you referring to tours though the cruise line?

Thanks!

Sharon

Hello again Sharon!

I don't think the tour we took (through Celebrity) is offered any longer. It was a comprehensive tour that included flightseeing by bushplane (with a landing on a remote lake - beautiful!), a comprehensive cannery tour (much too long), Saxman Village (not near enough time), and a town tour (scenic and interesting!). The time we spent at Saxman was limited by the need to finish on time and return everyone to the ship.

I am sure there are ship's tours available that might allow more time so you and your husband can really enjoy the carving shed. In addition, there are undoubtedly a lot of options if you want to make the journey on your own. Budget Queen is a great source of information and I bet she can steer you in the right direction!

Have a great cruise!

I have just walked into the shed without a tour, driving there. :) But the key would be to ASK venders at the dock, about time in the carving shed. Every trip it was open, but verify this currently with the Ketchikan visitor center or Saxman directly. http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

Thanks so much Mike and Budget Queen. It's so good being able to get good advice BEFORE going to Alaska. We want to make the most of each stop!

I know Don will appreciate getting to spend time in the carving shed!

Sharon

Thanks so much Mike and Budget Queen. It's so good being able to get good advice BEFORE going to Alaska. We want to make the most of each stop!

I know Don will appreciate getting to spend time in the carving shed!

Sharon

Hi Sharon!

I know you and Don are going to have a great trip!

You're absolutely right Mike, we will have a super trip! At dinner tonight I told him about the carving shed and his eyes lit up!To be honest I was thinking I would do something else while he went to Saxman Village, but after hearing your comments, I do believe I will go with him!

Sharon

Archived