Victoria Pubs

I know - I know. I did do a search and got some great recommendations and a map from prior threads - but most of them were a couple of years old and when i went to surf some of the pubs - they were closed.

I have Swans, Vancouver Island Brewing Company, Spinnakers and the Sticky Wicket on my list so far.

There are probably 4-6 of us that plan to wander around on our own on our last night of our cruise, all of us are 60+ and mobile (at least when we start).

Am I missing places we shouldn't miss??? :-)

Another downtown pub that has only been open a couple of years is Bard and Banker, not

far from Irish Times and same ownership. It has a somewhat tenuous link to your cruise.

Robert Service, the Yukon Gold Rush poet, apparently worked in the building when it

was a bank, hence the name. Nice decor and a bit more upscale than Sticky Wicket.

http://www.bardandbanker.com/

I know - I know. I did do a search and got some great recommendations and a map from prior threads - but most of them were a couple of years old and when i went to surf some of the pubs - they were closed.

I have Swans, Vancouver Island Brewing Company, Spinnakers and the Sticky Wicket on my list so far.

There are probably 4-6 of us that plan to wander around on our own on our last night of our cruise, all of us are 60+ and mobile (at least when we start).

Am I missing places we shouldn't miss??? :-)

Pubs: Spinnakers (brewpub), Swans (brewpub), Canoe Brew Pub, Sticky Wicket (good food - if you're looking for dinner)

Breweries: Vancouver Island Brewery, Phillips Brewing

A lot of the downtown pubs are more about show and less about beer, but the list above should treat you well. As for favourites at the various joints; I would have to list;

Spinnakers; Mt Tolmie Ale

Swans; Appleton Brown

VI Brewing; Hermans Dark Lager (Lager yeast, but chocolate malt -- an interesting mix). Herminator is even better, but Christmas season only.

Phillips; depending on your taste, their espresso stout, chocolate porter and the bulk buck ale are all excellent.

You should be pretty hammered at that point :-)

Wow - thanks for all the updated info - the suggestions - and the guide!! I appreciate your collective knowledge of the pubs!! :-) All I need to do now is make up a card to give to a cab driver when I'm done telling him I'm on a cruise and which ship to take me back to :-)

Wow - thanks for all the updated info - the suggestions - and the guide!! I appreciate your collective knowledge of the pubs!! :-) All I need to do now is make up a card to give to a cab driver when I'm done telling him I'm on a cruise and which ship to take me back to :-)

There's a very active chapter of the Campaign for Real Ale (aka CAMRA) http://members.shaw.ca/camra/camra.htm Worth a visit. Also the timing probably wont work out, but Victoria has a great beer festival: http://www.gcbf.com/

Archived