Breaking news in the UK Eclipse on the way to Spain

uktog

Originally Posted by 80sramfan viewpost.gif

This is a horrible decision by Celebrity.

I think 80sramfan is just winding you up!! Some people just post stupid comments to brighten up their lives, and stir the hornets nest!

I think Celebrity are definitely doing the right thing - I just hope the stranded passengers they are picking up have the appropriate attire to wear to dinner! :D:D:D (this is a joke, just in case you are wondering).

I am sure they will have the right attire for the swimming pool!!:D:D

Originally Posted by 80sramfan viewpost.gif

This is a horrible decision by Celebrity.

I think 80sramfan is just winding you up!! Some people just post stupid comments to brighten up their lives, and stir the hornets nest!

I think Celebrity are definitely doing the right thing - I just hope the stranded passengers they are picking up have the appropriate attire to wear to dinner! :D:D:D (this is a joke, just in case you are wondering).

Uh no. As a shareholder I believe this is a horrible idea with many downsides. First, this wont be the great PR you think it will be. You just wait these ungrateful people will come off the boat pissing and moaning about how they were treated etc.....The damage these "refugees" will do to this beautiful new ship has the potential to be huge. Trying to get a quick free hit in the press is not worth it IMO.

Count me among those in favor of Celebrity's decision. Great idea.

Lbackwith, I hope Celebrity takes care of you. Please let us know what the final resolution turns out to be.

Uh no. As a shareholder I believe this is a horrible idea with many downsides. First, this wont be the great PR you think it will be. You just wait these ungrateful people will come off the boat pissing and moaning about how they were treated etc.....The damage these "refugees" will do to this beautiful new ship has the potential to be huge. Trying to get a quick free hit in the press is not worth it IMO.

I am sorry but as a shareholder I have to disagree 100%

Perhaps you are not fully aware of what many people are going through with this transport disruption in the UK - the vast majority are those who can afford to take 2 holidays a year - indeed if you go and look at the BBC website posts are predominantly from teachers, academic oh and a consultant physician who was upset at having to cancel operations lists.

I have just heard from a friend who is hoping to be on one of the ships out of Spain in the next 48 hours, an older gentleman who went out to his villa for Easter and needs back for scheduled hospital treatment, we is certainly not someone who will be pissing and moaning as you put it. He has said it may well change his view of Cunard - oh and he is the former CEO of a larger UK company

As a stockholder, I am not only very proud of Celebrity, this is also a very good business move....and as to damage by those 'refugees', boy you know how rowdy and nasty a vacationing family of Brits can get. I bet there will be tea stains and crumpets (spelling???) ground into the carpets.

I apologies, one poster who disagreed with this action did say flights would be back to normal Tuesday - glad everything is OK now for all the stranded 'refugees' stuck all over Europe and in the US.

Denny

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion and no one person should be trying to enforce their opinion on someone else. If you think it is a good idea then good for you, if you think not then good for you also.

For what it is worth, my opinion is go get the Brits and bring them home but do not serve alcohol :eek: :eek:

"You just wait these ungrateful people will come off the boat pissing and moaning about how they were treated etc....."

The damage these "refugees" will do to "this beautiful new ship" has the potential to be huge.

There is a bit of a contradiction in what you are saying - if this is a beautiful new ship, why should these people be moan about how they were treated?

And why would they be ungrateful for the help they have been given in getting home?

Whilst I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, yourself included, the words you use are so full of unnecessary and hostile aggression. Maybe you should rent the film Scrooge this afternoon?:)

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion and no one person should be trying to enforce their opinion on someone else. If you think it is a good idea then good for you, if you think not then good for you also.

For what it is worth, my opinion is go get the Brits and bring them home but do not serve alcohol :eek: :eek:

...They haven't seen the ship's drinks prices yet!!:D:D

At the very beginning when the eruption first occurred, and all flights were canceled, my husband and I mentioned (to each other) that cruise ships should step in to transport as many stranded travelers as possible. I'm happy to see this finally happening.

I would love to say that I can imagine the relief these stranded people must feel at being able to get back home, but I really can't, because thankfully, I've never been placed in a situation such as this. Perhaps if we used our imaginations and thought of how we would feel if this happened to us, we might change our opinion that this is not the right thing to do, Helping people in need if one can, is always the right thing to do.

LBackwith and uktog, best of luck with both your situations. I hope all works out well.

Mary

Drinks for the next 3 nights would have been complimentary, all I hope is that they do not make the drinks complimentary for these 2000 people all wanting to forget the last few days :eek:

That said, I have seen TA's & Media drink on previous events at southampton and they do not all behave in an appropriate manner ;) chances are the stranded brits will be slightly better behaved :D

RCL stock is up today about 2%. I guess all those other people agree it's a good idea.....I know, basing anything on shortterm stock prices is dumb, but I thought I'd point out that it's up! (Along with CCL which hasn't done squat).

Denny

I can't forsee too many problems with passengers - most will probably be completely knackered - they have been travelling for days to get to Bilbao, and now just want to get home.

I'm sure they couldn't care less if they are on Eclipse or a troop ship, they have been displaced for the last week, and probably need a good meal and a shower.

On the BBC news tonight, it was fantastic to see everyone on TV arriving at Calais after travelling for days and days, and still smiling. Some great stories about people chartering 49 seater coaches in the Algarve, which have taken 36 hours to arrive in Northern France, and some other people hiring cars, which has cost them £2000 for a one way rental (gulp)! Nevertheless, these are brilliant, heart-warming stories.

We are on the Eclipse on Monday, and I'm wondering if we will be able to pick up passengers in Le Havre to repatriate them? Of course, it may not be necessary by then! The ship may be "requisitioned" and the cruise cancelled............. hey ho, our flights to Southampton are looking a bit iffy too, so now looking into the train.

The Eclipse pick up is only for those who have booked with 3 major UK TAs (not allowed to mention names here)

Again Albert how clever this all this, I am sure these TAs will find it very hard not to recommend X in the future

I have a friend whom it looks like is one being rescued by this route - I have always been trying to persuade him an X cruise was for him...lets see I am sure he will be so, so greatful after all he has been through worrying these last few days

Now listen to this y'all.

We are in Southern Spain and my bro 'phoned P&O to see whether we could come back on the Oriana from Gib at the beginning of May, if our flight doesn't go in a few days time, as my mum is very elderly and we would like to get her back without hassle. Was told twice that they will not do segments.

HOWEVER, an agent in Gibraltar is advertising space from Gib to Southampton on this very cruise!!! So space IS available!!! Not all companies have the Dunkirk spirit - too bad P&O.

I am also a shareholder in Royal Caribbean and they have done the right thing. There are families here in very dire straits financially, as they just don't have the funds for hotels for an extended stay. One family said that they have saved for a whole year for this holiday and are now putting huge amounts on their credit cards for hotels etc. and which they don't know how they are going to pay.

We are booked in the Independence at the beginning of June and as her first port of call is Gib, we will board then and give up our plane seats back to the UK if necessary, to those who need them most.

Hi

Good on Celebrity for doing their bit. Under the circumstances I'm sure the passengers who will miss out will hopefully understand. I'm sure Celebrity will sort them out at a later date.

This will be an ideal opportunity to make sure everything is running smoothly on board before the first revenue cruise on 26/05/10. I'm on board on 03/05/10.

I'm shocked at the attitude of some on this forum. Of course I would be disappointed if I had been due to travel but after seeing little kids stuck at Madrid on news then this gesture by Celebrity can only be a good thing. Of course its good PR but its still a positive thing to offer.

Phil

Are you meaning us? I just don't get it!!

We will be giving up our plane seats back to the UK next week, to anyone who really needs them - is this selfish? (If there is a flight!:D).

We are NOT buying the cabin on the Oriana either, as we don't think this is right.

We will spend an extra five weeks here and give up our flights to those more needy. Obviously, this will be at great extra cost to us to stay an extra five weeks, but like Celebrity, we will do what we can to help others.

The Eclipse pick up is only for those who have booked with 3 major UK TAs (not allowed to mention names here)

Lol so there were alternative reasons behind this. Makes sense now. Had nothing to do with the "goodness" of the company but rather to try and get some travel agents beholden to the company. I take back my thoughts. I now think this was a good move by Celebrity.

I would rather see Celebrity use their beautiful new ship to transport stranded "refugees" than use it for paying passengers (shareholder or not) with such a selfish attitude.

Turns out they had an ulterior motive. I now support the decision. Nothing like bailing out a bunch of ta's and having them owe you big time

Not convinced - the company is doing great work in Haiti through their 'island'!! No TAs involved there.

However, we were all wondering here, how evacuation such as this could be organised. Helping passengers already with agents who have the reps to organise this end, (we are in Spain) does make sense. You couldn't have thousands of unknown people making a rush to get on a ship!! Beginning to make sense.

BUT, whatever their motivation, they are doing something to get people home - we can only appreciate that.

Lol so there were alternative reasons behind this. Makes sense now. Had nothing to do with the "goodness" of the company but rather to try and get some travel agents beholden to the company. I take back my thoughts. I now think this was a good move by Celebrity.

You are truly a sad individual.

Archived