Fat guy on zip line?

bassspanker

We're planning on doing a zip line in PV in a couple of weeks. After reading several threads here I'm still trying to decide between Los Veranos (more scenic) and Rio Cuale (higher, faster, & less crowded). I'm sure we'll have a great time either way.

Anyway, here's the problem- I noticed that all of the zip lines have weight limits of around 250lbs. Now, I'm kind of a big guy. I'm not 250 (yet), but fully clothed after several days of all-you-can-eat cruise food, I might be pushing it. I'm sure I'll come in under the limit, so I'm not worried about being denied entrance (they don't actually make you stand on a scale do they?). I'm mainly worried about things like getting stuck or breaking something. I can't imagine the equipment is tightly regulated in Mexico either. My wife told me that she will be going first so she doesn't have to go after I've weakened the lines...

Is there any reason to be concerned about this?

Los Veranos has a limit of 250 lbs max and Rio Cuale has a limit of 275 lbs max. They also have some size limits, such as your middle must be under 50 inches and some measurement for your thighs, in order for the harness to fit.

If you are under their limits, I think you should not have to worry about sending your wife free falling, if she were to go after you! From all the reviews I have read, the equipment does seem to be in good shape. These places would not survive if they let people get hurt on neglected equipment. I am sure they put up the weight limits on the conservative side too, but this is me guessing.

Considering at Los Veranos they do a lot of double zip (two people at once, one forward one backward and yes I did it backwards reluctantly and loved it :eek:) just as long as you are within their weight limits don't worry.

My DH is a large guy and he did not have any issues. Below the 250 limit but as you said after a few days of eating and drinking on board . . . maybe not so much any more!!

We did Los Veranos while on a land trip last week (awesome, BTW). I did see a scale near where we were gearing up. There was one larger man there, but I never saw him on the scale.

The big thing I recall them telling him was that he would be going faster and they reminded him he might have to brake more than the little 20-year-old slip of a girl on our tour. They showed him how to brake when he got near the end.

PHXscuba

The big thing I recall them telling him was that he would be going faster and they reminded him he might have to brake more than the little 20-year-old slip of a girl on our tour. They showed him how to brake when he got near the end.

PHXscuba

That's very interesting, thanks. I wasn't sure whether I would go faster because of gravity, or slower because of more friction and/or sagging lines. That's just what I needed to know. If I go faster, then that's even better! Can't wait.

I can tell you about 5 years ago at Los Veranos they made my husband get on the scale! He is over 6 ft and weighed in at 253 and they would not let him go. It was kind of a rainy day when we started, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not, but he was very disappointed. Maybe things have changed in the last few years, I have no idea.

Booked privately (if so, how?) or thru cruise (we will be on RCI)

What is the minimum age? (my kids are interested...)

I LOVE zip lining & plan to do it every chance I get!

Booked privately (if so, how?) or thru cruise (we will be on RCI)

What is the minimum age? (my kids are interested...)

I LOVE zip lining & plan to do it every chance I get!

Here is a link to their website, you can book directly with them, that's what we did. We did the pick up at the canopy office (you do need to get a taxi from the ship there but it is easy to do and fairly inexpensive)

http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/

when we have zipped, everyone was weighed (small, and big)

i am a big one, and trust me the heavier you are the faster you go

My 110 lb daughter almost got stuck on the longest zip (this was in Maui) and the guy had to reach out and grabbed her in due to lack of wt

me- no prob

HI,

I have done both the Rio Cuale and Los Veranos, for me Rio wins. As for the fat guy issue...There was this girl in our Rio Cuale run that had to be 250-280 and they let her go...We let her go first to test the lines....LOL...no just kidding:D....She had a blast as did all of us...Enjoy we do...Later:)

on vacation in PV 3 yrs ago wife and I did Rio Cuale

http://www.nuevovallartatours.com/river-cuale-canopy-tour.htm

I chose this tour because of the 275# weight limit.. at the time i was about 265# ..they didnt weigh me but they did ask if i was in good enough shape because we had to walk from on line to the next and the hills were quite steep..

you slow down by twisting the pulley side to side and I had to start "breaking" about the half way point or i would crush the guy who is there to catch you.

would highly recommend it! .. one of the best thing we have ever done on vacation!

I thought I would chime in since we just got back Sunday from Mex Riviera.

We did the Rio Cuale do to my size limit. I was weighing 276, a week prior to leaving. I got down to 273 by the time are ship sailed. I had to be over 275 by the time we zipped (three days of unlimited food) in PV. I was never questioned about my weight. The straps were a little tight and they were pulled out as far as they could go. As long as the harness fits they will let you zip.

I never felt in danger due to my size. The cables can hold much more weight, its the harness that limits people. I would highly recommend Rio Cuale. There is some hiking that got me pretty winded, however they have water stations along the way.

If you have any questions about Rio Cuale, I'll answer.

Here is the website for Rio Cuale zip line. http://www.canopyriver.com.mx/ This threw us for a loop, because we booked through Johann & Sandra, which said it was Rio Cuale. Our tickets showed Rio Cuale, however the bus, the office, or the zip line never mentioned "Rio Cuale", at first I thought we were at the wrong place. After talking with the guides though we were in the right place. It was actually cheaper for us to book through Johann & Sandra than direct.

Archived