Fishing in Ketchican

jennywbbaseball

We are cruising with Celebrity in July and want to do some fishing while in Ketchican. We'd rather book a charter outside of the cruise line. Does anyone have a charter company to recommend? Do you know any we should avoid? So far we're looking at Explore Alaska Charters (Rick), and Alaskan Fishing Adventures (Darrell Welk). Would love any info!!!

You can try Ken at northen lights ( http://ketchikanfishing.net/ ), they have a few favorable recommendations here. I have them booked ( full boat, 1/2 day ) for the first week of July. That time is good for kings, it is a few dollars cheaper then thru the line and in talking to Ken sounds like a great guy. So far CC hasn't done me wrong with vendors that have favorable recommendation...

We are cruising with Celebrity in July and want to do some fishing while in Ketchican. We'd rather book a charter outside of the cruise line. Does anyone have a charter company to recommend? Do you know any we should avoid? So far we're looking at Explore Alaska Charters (Rick), and Alaskan Fishing Adventures (Darrell Welk). Would love any info!!!

You can try Ken at northen lights ( http://ketchikanfishing.net/ ), they have a few favorable recommendations here. I have them booked ( full boat, 1/2 day ) for the first week of July. That time is good for kings, it is a few dollars cheaper then thru the line and in talking to Ken sounds like a great guy. So far CC hasn't done me wrong with vendors that have favorable recommendation...

You may want to take a look at the sticky above for 2010 posts, which are supposed to be recommendations from first hand experiences.

We're using Ken also (early June). He will call you immediately and you'll have a comfortable conversation--maybe it's because we're both retired school teachers:)?

We have used Capt. Dan Leathers with North Pacific Charters on several occasions and have nothing but good things to say about him.

He will pick you up at the pier and return you there. He can make arrangements to have your catch processed and shipped home.

Here's a link to his website:

http://northpacificcharters.com/

Check out his photo gallery.

I am personally familiar with Strike Zone Charters. The business was run for years by Luke Stamm's father Louie who now is semi-retired and is a winter neighbour of mine in AZ. Both father and son are excellent guides and fisherman. link

I am looking for a fishing charter for my brother. We are traveling in early June - is it going to be too early for king salmon? I have heard different things. Also, does anyone know where these boats go to fish? Is it open water, stream, lake?

Thanks!!

We went with Captain Dan of North Pacific Charters in mid-June last year. We recommend him highly. He made us feel like special guests. We did get Kings in mid-June. My pictures from the day are here.

Thank you so much - can you tell me what sort of water you were fishing in? Salt/fresh? River/lake/open water?

It was salt water, open - but sheltered by several islands. The local fishing boats dock at the same pier as the cruise ships, so we just went out from there. I couldn't tell you how far out we went, but Capt. Dan surely could and he's great with EMail.

I am looking for a fishing charter for my brother. We are traveling in early June - is it going to be too early for king salmon? I have heard different things. Also, does anyone know where these boats go to fish? Is it open water, stream, lake?

Thanks!!

You'll be fishing the Tongass Narrows. Trolling. You are very protected from big swells and high wind in the Narrows. Not to say it CAN'T get a little rough, but it is usually very comfortable fishing. The Kisutch is a very stable vessel and you can go inside the cabin if you get cold, or just need to take a break.

They don't come better than Capt. Dan!

We went with Captain Dan of North Pacific Charters in mid-June last year. We recommend him highly. He made us feel like special guests. We did get Kings in mid-June. My pictures from the day are here.

Wow. Your pictures were great. What type of camera did you use? Also, we are scheduled with Northern Lights in September.

Wow. Your pictures were great. What type of camera did you use? Also, we are scheduled with Northern Lights in September.

Thank you! I use a Canon 30D, and most of the wildlife pictures were taken with a 400mm lens.

Archived