Recommendations for active shore excursions?

JennBub

Myself and a friend (both mid/late 30s in good shape, just not olympic atheletes) will be on the HAL Statedam in August 2005 and are looking for shore excursion recommendations. We'd prefer mostly (but not exclusively) active ones, and don't mind paying up for some, just not all. Ports are Ketchikan, Juneau, Haines, and Sitka. We know we definitely want to kayak and hike, and would like to get in some biking if possible, so recommendations for best ports/tours for those activities also appreciated.

We're in our late 20's and were also looking for active excursions. For kayaking, we went with Southeast Sea Kayaks' Orca Cove tour in Ketchikan. There are lots on this operation if you run a search on this board, but basically its a 4 hour excursion that shuttles you away from town, small groups (6 max) so its very customized, and then a smoked salmon/fruit/cracker/cheese snack/meal afterwards. I've heard Sitka as another good option for kayaking. Juneau is great for hiking with lots of options for independent hikes. We really enjoyed going with Gastineau Guiding, provided great commentary on the temperate rain forest, its development, the plants/wildlife, etc. For something very different, I'd recommend booking a glacier trek with Northstar Trekking (Juneau) ... helicopter to the glacier + 2 or 4 hour hike on the glacier surface, exploring the ice formations with an ice axe and crampons ... the 4 hour version includes an ice climb. We did our biking in Anchorage.

Hiking is everywhere, so perhaps fit that in last. For the splurge I would consider the long glacier trekking, just excellent. Kayaking as mentioned is excellent in Ketchikan. Biking could be an option out of Haines? Look over a shore excursion list and see what is of interest?? then repost for more information.

Archived