We've Been Talking (Understandably) re: Cruise Insurance and

sail7seas

I've been wondering if HAL and other cruise lines have insurance that helps them in cases like erupting volcano :eek: that keeps people from getting to the ships.

I wonder if among all the sorts of insurance they need and have if natural diseasters of this sort are covered for their loses due to loss of on board spending and added expenses by being delayed in ports and paying 'out of the ordinary' expenses.

Do you think they are covered?

Not certain but I would think perhaps they would be insured for loss of lives (staff) or major equipment damage related to a natural disaster. Not sure if it would be possible or practical to ensure over loss of service/sales related profits.

Its called "Loss of Use Insurance". I doubt that CCL would carry this type of coverage, but who knows. It they did it would come with a deductible - which in this case would be a waiting period or a percentage reinbursement. CCL has so many ships that they can spread the risk whereas a small line could be wiped out. Maybe they can get a policy with AIG ?

Who knows? But that is the point of my question.

While we know about insurance for the cruiser, I wonder about what sorts of insurance cruise companies may carry that could help them in these situations.

As pointed out, Carnival Corp. is huge and can absorb the loses from any one of their brands for the short term but one has to think all of their 'family of ships' are being impacted to one degree of another. Costa, Carnival, Cunard, HAL and Princess probably for sure and probably less so Seabourn. (I have no clue their itineraries.)

There is no question HAL will do fine, of course, as will all the cruise companies but there's no denying it's a 'hit in the pocketbook'.

I've been wondering if HAL and other cruise lines have insurance that helps them in cases like erupting volcano :eek: that keeps people from getting to the ships.

For at least the last 4 years (that's all I can speak from with personal experience) HAL's plans (Standard and Platinum) have allowed you to cancel for ANY reason.

• Acts of God
  • Illness
  • Injury
  • Death
  • Loss of income
  • Sick pet
  • A cruise isn't a rocket ship?!
  • A bad pedicure
  • A bad hair day
  • An imaginary leprechaun tells you to burn things and your uncle (the unicorn) is scared for your safety
  • What's that HAL? You want to know why I cancelled? I don't have to tell YOU!!

These would all allow you to cancel pre-cruise and receive an 80% or 90% (based on plan you select) cash refund.

Archived