Just back from the Silver Spirit

travelingduo

We just returned from 17 days on the Spirit. It was a wonderful cruise and the Spirit was great. I will post a full review in the next few days -- getting back to reality and adjusting to not having Emilia bring me breakfast. Yes, the Spirit is different from the other ships in the fleet and it is a different experience, but it was still a great Silversea experience. In the meantime, I will be happy to answer any questions. :)

We just returned from 17 days on the Spirit. It was a wonderful cruise and the Spirit was great. I will post a full review in the next few days -- getting back to reality and adjusting to not having Emilia bring me breakfast. Yes, the Spirit is different from the other ships in the fleet and it is a different experience, but it was still a great Silversea experience. In the meantime, I will be happy to answer any questions. :)

Welcome home traveling duo! We are anxiously waiting to board Friday and experience Silver Spirit first hand!

Hi travelingduo - glad to hear your trip was great. I'm looking forward to reading your review.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Although there is a sticky thread, I like that you posted separately. I think Silver Spirit has been out long enough to support individual trip reports. Anyway, my question: any recommendations regarding food? Any don't-miss items or disappointments?

If you have a nice evening the Stone Grill is not to be missed. You have to try it at least once, but reservations are required due to the limited seating. We found that service in the Restaurant was a bit slow, so be patient. The food in all of the dining venues was very good.

If you have a nice evening the Stone Grill is not to be missed. You have to try it at least once, but reservations are required due to the limited seating. We found that service in the Restaurant was a bit slow, so be patient. The food in all of the dining venues was very good.

I'm glad you mentioned the Stone Grill; I was wondering whether to try it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I will be interested in what you have to say about the Spirit. We will be leaving on January 3, 2011 for a 16-day Panama Canal Cruise. Seems so far off but hopefully, time flies.

:o

Tella

Thank you kindly for your very informative report. We have not yet been on the Spirit, so we have no first hand information. From your account, aside from glowing praises, it does seem that the decrease in space ratio (per passenger space) on this ship from 74 (for Shadow/Whisper) to 67 is having an impact. If Silversea had chosen to carry 480 (60 fewer) passengers, then the cabins can be half a foot wider, the corridors can be wider too, the show lounge perhaps can be multi-storeyed and the exercise area (which our good Colonel loves) can be more adequate, and the ceilings can be a couple of inches higher.

It is nice that the Spirit has more dining venues, thus more suitable for long voyages (e.g. world cruises and odysseys), and Navy Captain Burns judged it to be a most stable (in ride quality) cruise ship. So while this ship has (based on others' reports) some redeeming qualities, if Silversea ever builds another ship (likely not in many years to come due to the long lasting economic downturn), hopefully, they will cut passenger numbers by 10% as described above.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the review, Travelingduo. I really enjoyed reading it.

I'm going back on the ship on November 6, and for the first time I am also using the Silversea air. I am glad you had a good experience. With the free air promo, it was a no-brainer to take this to Barbados when the alternative was a $200 credit and they overnight in Barbados, so we don't have so many worries. I'm coming from Houston, and my friend is taking the free air from Miami, getting herself over from Exuma. It is going to be interesting for me to coordinate when we get ourselves paid in full.

My friend is also Italian and has been to many places but has never sailed. I am interested to see if she will want to do the additional cost restaurants or not. I've stated over the months that if I do Seishin, I am going to require a special menu, as I need my food cooked. I could see us doing Le Champagne.

For Seishin and Le Champagne, did you find them highly used?

I noticed you gave the spa and fitness a 3 rating. Is that due to the same issues that have been reported by us and others in the past with the odd layout, unisex areas, etc., or were there new issues? We are going to be deciding between Sandy Lane and the ship. I already have experienced the joy of Sandy Lane but only did the steam room on Spirit. We were just on such a port-intensive itinerary before. This one is, too, but I have been to all ports except Dominica.

• 2 weeks later...

So glad to hear of your experience on the Spirit. Our reservations are for Jan 4, 2011. Heck. That's only six months away now, right? I made these reservations four months ago. Having a butler serve my breakfast each morning sounds too good to be true. How spoiled can I get?

I keep watching this Board.It makes it seem more real.....like I am ready to go. Thank you again for your wonderful wrte-up of your experience. I am bursting to go!!!!!

Thelma

Haven't you already experienced it first hand. Or wasn't it you we had dinner with on April 23?

Domer

ogal;24109240]Welcome home traveling duo! We are anxiously waiting to board Friday and experience Silver Spirit first hand!

Haven't you already experienced it first hand. Or wasn't it you we had dinner with on April 23?

Domer

ogal;24109240]Welcome home traveling duo! We are anxiously waiting to board Friday and experience Silver Spirit first hand!

Hi Dick,

That post is quite old - like from April 20th.

Archived