Pike's Market

anamanxs

Trying to plan to get it all in in Seattle in 2.5 days......or some of it anyway. We are going to get the City Pass but must see Pikes's Market. How long is needed for Pike's Market, we will be there on Mother's Day weekend. Fly in at noon on Sat. and cruise out on Tuesday. Appreciate any thoughts, suggestions. First time to Seattle. 4 adults and a 2 year old, hotel by Space Needle.

Trying to plan to get it all in in Seattle in 2.5 days......or some of it anyway. We are going to get the City Pass but must see Pikes's Market. How long is needed for Pike's Market, we will be there on Mother's Day weekend. Fly in at noon on Sat. and cruise out on Tuesday. Appreciate any thoughts, suggestions. First time to Seattle. 4 adults and a 2 year old, hotel by Space Needle.

Hi anamanxs. Pike Place Market is huge. We only saw a little of it when we were there in 2008. We spent most of our time near the fish market watching the "show."

Here is a link to the Market website where there is a floor plan for the whole area. According to the website renovations are going on in phases - Phase 1 is finishing up in May or June. The Market is open during renovations but some areas may be closed off.

We took the monorail to the Space Needle and spent a very pleasant couple of hours there. There was a group of musicians from Bolivia playing native instruments and we sat and listened for a half-hour or so. Also browsed the shop at the base of the Space Needle but never took the ride up to the top. We may do that when we visit Seattle on our coastal cruise in May.

Hope this helps with your planning.

Sorry to be consistently picky, but "Pike's" is a peak in Colorado. The Pike in Pike Place Market is named for a different Pike (Jonathon) than Pike's Peak (Zebulon.) Jonathon Pike was a pioneer in the Seattle area for whom Pike Street was named; Pike Place was created when the market was opened a hundred years ago.

I know this may sound trivial, but I'm sure other people have similar cases when some term makes them grit their teeth.

Hi anamanxs. Pike Place Market is huge. We only saw a little of it when we were there in 2008. We spent most of our time near the fish market watching the "show."

Here is a link to the Market website where there is a floor plan for the whole area. According to the website renovations are going on in phases - Phase 1 is finishing up in May or June. The Market is open during renovations but some areas may be closed off.

We took the monorail to the Space Needle and spent a very pleasant couple of hours there. There was a group of musicians from Bolivia playing native instruments and we sat and listened for a half-hour or so. Also browsed the shop at the base of the Space Needle but never took the ride up to the top. We may do that when we visit Seattle on our coastal cruise in May.

Hope this helps with your planning.

Thanks for the link. We are there in May. I think we're both almost as excited about visiting Seattle as we are about the Alaska cruise.

Sorry to be consistently picky, but "Pike's" is a peak in Colorado. The Pike in Pike Place Market is named for a different Pike (Jonathon) than Pike's Peak (Zebulon.) Jonathon Pike was a pioneer in the Seattle area for whom Pike Street was named; Pike Place was created when the market was opened a hundred years ago.

I know this may sound trivial, but I'm sure other people have similar cases when some term makes them grit their teeth.

It is trivial.....Why would you even bring this up? Everyone who reads knows that OP is talking about Seattle and not Colorado. Relax and be happy people are interested in the place the begin with. Besides gritting your teeth is bad for them. Next time try "Grinning and bear it"

I feel your pain!!:eek: I just cringe each and every time someone calls it "Pikes" For future reference it is - Pike Place Market

Please do not flame me, as I'm sure you would feel the same about your local tourist and or "must see" places in your hometown.

Melody:D

I am so sorry, I never meant to step on anyone's toes! I am just so excited about visiting your city and trying to find out all we can so that we can see as much as we can of it in the short period that we have. And the PIKE PLACE MARKET was high on our list!

I am so sorry, I never meant to step on anyone's toes! I am just so excited about visiting your city and trying to find out all we can so that we can see as much as we can of it in the short period that we have. And the PIKE PLACE MARKET was high on our list!

You also might want to explore the section on "Seattle Q&A" for a lot of very good information. There are some really nice people that will help you out with your questions.

:confused: Thanks, I have - I am probably on information overload. Was just wondering how much time to allow for the visit. We have only about 3 hours allowed and I think that is probably way to short. Also it is the Sat. before Mother's Day so from what I have read the flower vendors will be there.

Again, sorry for the wrong name!

:confused: Thanks, I have - I am probably on information overload. Was just wondering how much time to allow for the visit. We have only about 3 hours allowed and I think that is probably way to short. Also it is the Sat. before Mother's Day so from what I have read the flower vendors will be there.

Again, sorry for the wrong name!

Oh Boy!:eek: I just reread my post! I'm so sorry! It did sound a little short. Please forgive me. I really am a nice person :).

3 hours is a bit short for the WHOLE market thing. But if you just hit the main floor you should be ok. Not to be missed : The fish throwers, but keep in mind they do not just throw fish. Someone has to buy a fish for it to be thrown. But they do tell some jokes and will fill you in on some local colorful history. You may have to wait a while for fish throwing, though. right in front of that market is Rachel, the pig (a bronze statue) be sure to rub her for good luck. LOL. On the next corner is a VERY good bakery. just buy anything, yummy! All the flower venders are also on the first level and there are MANY of them, but they all have pretty much the same prices (very good ones) on down a ways are our local crafters, leather goods, etc plus some homemade goods. There is a guy who has all kinds of flavors of homemade honey, I believe from one the the Islands. (In the San Juan Islands)

The original Starbucks is also on the main floor, outside, facing the sound. Just ask someone for directions, it can be a little tricky to describe the way to get there. Its not at all like your typical Starbucks. There are not a lot of "things" to buy, mostly just coffee and once in a while they will have some mugs, usually during tourist season. There are a lot of fun little shops to go in and look and enjoy:cool:.

The Market is undergoing some remodeling this summer, not sure what will be happening when, sorry;)

Enjoy, its a very interesting place

Again, so sorry if I sounded gruff. I hope you enjoy my city and have a great cruise. Alaska is beautiful!

I have been there a couple of times and made a quick one hour rush--but you could spend the day if you have time.

Another Seattle thing: the department store is Nordstrom (not Nordstrom's). Guess those Seattlites don't like apostrophes.

if you wish to see a bit plan your trip to the mkt on the monday. The weekends are always the most crowded and you will see more if you go early. If you look at

tripadvisor.com

seattle forum there is a good one day itinerary without a car that starts at the Space Needle. I think it will help you plan a 'route'.

if you wish to see a bit plan your trip to the mkt on the monday. The weekends are always the most crowded and you will see more if you go early.

That was going to be my suggestion, too. The Market gets crazy crowded on the weekends. Weekdays are a little better, especially if you go early. Although I did just read that Saturday and Sunday of that weekend they're having a Flower Festival--that might be reason to brave the crowds!

If you really want to see the place with an experienced guide, the Market Foundation offers tours on weekdays. Their information is at http://www.pikeplacemarketfoundation.org/events/tours.shtml. They say they require ten people or more this time of year, but they might have a group already scheduled that you could get in on. I did one of their tours a few years back, and loved it--lots of history and local color. If you're a foodie, there are also companies that do food-oriented tours of the Market. Take a look at Seattle Food Tours http://www.seattlefoodtours.com/, Savor Seattle Tours http://www.savorseattletours.com/, or Seattle Bites Food tours http://www.seattlebitesfoodtours.com/.

It took me a few visits after I moved here to even discover that there were levels and shops below the main street level of the Market. There are some fun, funky shops down there, selling all kinds of stuff--clothing, comic books, beads, books, magic tricks and gizmos, coins and collectibles, and lots more. There are some famous ghost stories about the lower levels--ask in the magic shop about the little boy who re-arranges the merchandise at night! If you go all the way down to Western Avenue, behind the Market, you'll find a couple of my favorite Seattle shops. World Spice could charge just for walking in the door and sniffing, and I'd still pay to get in--and they have the freshest, best-quality spices and herbs around (just look at their collection of business cards of the local chefs who buy there!) Just down the street, The Spanish Table has all kinds of interesting Spanish and Mediterranean imported foods--and they've just opened a second store, Paris Grocery, with French specialty items right down the street.

Have fun!

Oh Boy!:eek: I just reread my post! I'm so sorry! It did sound a little short. Please forgive me. I really am a nice person :).

3 hours is a bit short for the WHOLE market thing. But if you just hit the main floor you should be ok. Not to be missed : The fish throwers, but keep in mind they do not just throw fish. Someone has to buy a fish for it to be thrown. But they do tell some jokes and will fill you in on some local colorful history. You may have to wait a while for fish throwing, though. right in front of that market is Rachel, the pig (a bronze statue) be sure to rub her for good luck. LOL. On the next corner is a VERY good bakery. just buy anything, yummy! All the flower venders are also on the first level and there are MANY of them, but they all have pretty much the same prices (very good ones) on down a ways are our local crafters, leather goods, etc plus some homemade goods. There is a guy who has all kinds of flavors of homemade honey, I believe from one the the Islands. (In the San Juan Islands)

The original Starbucks is also on the main floor, outside, facing the sound. Just ask someone for directions, it can be a little tricky to describe the way to get there. Its not at all like your typical Starbucks. There are not a lot of "things" to buy, mostly just coffee and once in a while they will have some mugs, usually during tourist season. There are a lot of fun little shops to go in and look and enjoy:cool:.

The Market is undergoing some remodeling this summer, not sure what will be happening when, sorry;)

Enjoy, its a very interesting place

Again, so sorry if I sounded gruff. I hope you enjoy my city and have a great cruise. Alaska is beautiful!

Thanks for all the GREAT info from everyone. I think we will do a quick visit on Sat., and then when they are spending the whole day on Monday at the Pacific Science Center I will go back to the market. I don't think I need a whole day at the Science Center.

We have been planning this trip for over a year and are really looking forward to it! :D

Thanks for all the GREAT info from everyone. I think we will do a quick visit on Sat., and then when they are spending the whole day on Monday at the Pacific Science Center I will go back to the market. I don't think I need a whole day at the Science Center.

We have been planning this trip for over a year and are really looking forward to it! :D

Good choice. Most kids love the Pacific Science Center, but unless you're a HUGE science geek, most grownups wouldn't need a whole day there!

Really depends on your interest, there are lots of cute stores as well as the famous fish market. We stop by almost twice a year for a break from our Portland to Whistler drive for abou 45' to an hour. To do the top things you need no more than a couple hours, if you like to linger and do some serious shopping/lingering and such maybe the 1/2 day. A couple hours will get you all that is famous there.

You could easily visit the entire place in about 2 hrs. We used to live up in that area and would go over there once in awhile as it's entertaining at the fish market.

If you're staying the night, highly recommend Cutter's Bayhouse Restaurant :). Its at 2001 Western Ave which is just a couple blocks NW of Pikes Market. It overlooks the Puget Sound offering a magical view at dusk. We first ate there in 2004 and have never found anything to be better. Just hope it's still the same way today :rolleyes:.

If you are truly sorry, shut up about it.

Thanks for the clarification and brief history lesson of the difference between Pike Market and Pike's Peak.

I appreciate it when people take the time and effort to correct and educate.

I made the mistake of calling it Pike's Market and learned from this forum to call it by its correct name.

I would rather be informed than to call it the wrong name over and over.

Hee that happens all the time here in Alaska so dont sweat it to much. I can feel your excitement from here. I have been to Pike place market many times and suggest at least 3-4 hours for a good walk through and look around.

I love seeing the fish being thrown its always a rare treat. The market has many floors that go underneathe and also above. So make sure to check out the bottom floors. I like all the neat stores thier are many of them but are worth the walk through.

A good plan would be to walk through aka wonder through lesurily then about half way through take a break with a little bit of a snack/lunch/juice rest break to give yourself a bit of a break then enjoy the rest of the wonder.

Its a fun place. I had to go to seattle a few years ago to get my passport all straightened out. For Alaskans the closest Passport office is in Seattle so I had to fly down stay over night and fly back to Alaska the next day. It was a fun and quick trip and I stayed about two blocks from the market and made sure to wonder around thier for awhile.

Enjoy your trip :)

Adri

If you are truly sorry, shut up about it.

That was rude. If anything has taken this thread down the road toward genuinely unpleasant, it's this post.

I'm with Gardyloo. I would much rather politely be told the correct name (pronunciation, etc.) for something, than to go around saying it wrong again and again.

I grew up in northern California, and if you think the Washington locals get testy when they hear it called "Pike's Market" or some such, you don't want to know what the natives say about people who call San Francisco "Frisco!" I NEVER want to give people cause to look at me that way!

Thanks to everyone with all the info and for the grammer lesson. It was never my intention to offend anyone. Life is a learning experience and with it comes mistakes that is how we all learn! When we stop learning that is the problem! So one ole teacher Thanks you again....... My group is really looking forward to visitng your fine city!

Who cares whether or not you spell the proper way for Pike Place Market. I used to live up there and got it wrong all the time.

Of all the important things in the world, someone always has to have a final say. Get a life and move along. Or get run over!!

Archived