Birth Certificate for I.D.

NKG6002

I don't understand how a certified copy of a birth certificate is a legal form of ID to board the ship in lieu of a passport. My birth cetificate is 68 years old and I have had 2 name changes since birth. How is this considered a proof of your identification?

It is not. It is proof of your citizenship.

Your ID, such as a Driver License, is proof of your ID. Depending on who you cruise with and the mood of the person checking you in, you may need bridge documents showing your name changes which link to your BC. In many cases this is not needed, as your first name and birthdate on your ID match your BC. But some people are asked for them and it is better to be prepared with marriage and divorce records.

Did you mean to post this on the Bahamas board or just as a general question?

As for the Bahamas, Freeport and Nassau were two of the few ports where we needed both our ship card AND an ID. At least that's how it's been whenever I've visited there.

But then, I have a passport and I always have it with me when I'm on foreign soil.

Archived