Driving to Galveston....Where to stop along the way?

hpyoho

Hi everyone. We are driving down to Galveston in June from Kansas, we are leaving on a Thursday and we don't set sail until Saturday. We already have plans to spend the night with family in Paris, Tx on the way down.

Friday will be a wide open day and I was just curious what are some things that we shouldn't miss on the drive down? We are already booked at the Harbor House when we get to Galveston. I love small town cafes, kitchy places off the beaten path, etc.... What is something that we shouldn't miss? BTW, my DH is a huge BBQ fan. Any good BBQ joints along the way?

It is just the DH and me heading down, so we are pretty excited. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

:o Looks like I forgot to mention that map quest has us traveling down TX-19 through Sulpher Springs, Canton, Athens, Palestine and then jogging over to I-45 to Houston. We are really open to any routes though!

Taking TX-19 is a more scenic drive, but one and two lane roads alot of the way, thru small towns. I would go to Commerce, Dallas, hit 45 and down to Galveston. Unless of course you just want a leisurely drive. I agree with Kemah, great place. From the Harbour House (great place to stay) its maybe 25 minutes depending on traffic. You can lookup Kemah Boardwalk on the internet.:)

:o Looks like I forgot to mention that map quest has us traveling down TX-19 through Sulpher Springs, Canton, Athens, Palestine and then jogging over to I-45 to Houston. We are really open to any routes though!

Canton is known for its "first Monday" sales. Basically an open air flea market that takes over just about the entire town the weekend before the first Monday of every month. I haven't been in years and am told it has grown a lot since I was there.

Palestine has a train you can ride. Never been myself, but have been told its not a kiddie ride but a real train that has been restored. I'm sure you could google it.

Galveston used to have some beautiful old homes. (Victorians with lots of gingerbread) Honestly not sure how they fared during the hurricane, but worth a look if they are still there. Same goes for the sea wall. It used to be a "must see" for visitors, but dont know its condition post hurricane.

I can't remember anything about Athens that is note worthy, been too long since I've been there. And I know nothing about Sulpher Springs.

If your coming in thru Houston on I 45, be sure and keep a look out for the Sam Houston statue that sits beside the road. It will be on the north bound side. Sucker is huge!

Keep your eyes out for the Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrushes. Beautiful splashes of blues and reds everywhere when in bloom. I believe it is too late already for the Dogwoods and Azalias (sp) but you may get lucky.

Hope this helps. Have tons of fun!

Galveston has recovered nicely from the storm, thank you. And our historic homes survived much better than newer construction. Lots to do in Galveston so check out galveston.com and galvestonhistory.org. and start planning your visit.

Really glad to hear that. Galveston has always been one of my favorite places in Texas. One of the most charming towns I've ever visited.

Kemah is fun. The Moody Mansion in Galveston is beautiful(and survived Ike)! Moody Gardens is also nice.

Keep in mind Texas BBQ is not like BBQ up north, unfortunately. We have yet to find anywhere to satisfy our BBQ craving down here. :(

Kemah is fun. The Moody Mansion in Galveston is beautiful(and survived Ike)! Moody Gardens is also nice.

Keep in mind Texas BBQ is not like BBQ up north, unfortunately. We have yet to find anywhere to satisfy our BBQ craving down here. :(

What??? :eek: Where are you looking for BBQ??? If you can't find good BBQ in Texas you won't find it anywhere! In Lake Jackson we've got 2 great places just here in this little town! We grew up in Little Rock and the BBQ was good there too...just different. It doesn't get much better than a good Texas brisket though!

BTW...there's also Bishop's Palace which is an old historic home that offers tours. Also, Ashton Villa is a wonderful old historic home and supposedly haunted! It's beautiful too! Galveston history is full of much prosperity and tragedy. You can tour the museum down by the pier and learn about the Great Storm and tour the tall ship Elissa while you're there! Hope you have a great trip to Galveston! :)

There is this new gas station that has billboards all the way down to where it is. Its just before you get to the town where the prison is. It says it has the best bathrooms and other stuff like that. The bathrooms are actually really nice. Good place to stretch your legs and grab a drink or some food. I cant think of the name ... hmmm. Im sure someone knows it.

There is this new gas station that has billboards all the way down to where it is. Its just before you get to the town where the prison is. It says it has the best bathrooms and other stuff like that. The bathrooms are actually really nice. Good place to stretch your legs and grab a drink or some food. I cant think of the name ... hmmm. Im sure someone knows it.

Buccees

Thanks for all the info. I think we are going to take the scenic route. We're not super pressed for time on the way down so it sounds like traveling Hwy 19 might be fun.

As far as Texas BBQ goes..... I grew up in Texas so I am a bit partial to it's BBQ. Me and DH love tasting the different styles of BBQ from the different regions.

I can't wait for the cruise and I think the drive down will be a great kick off to a great week!

What??? :eek: Where are you looking for BBQ??? If you can't find good BBQ in Texas you won't find it anywhere! In Lake Jackson we've got 2 great places just here in this little town! We grew up in Little Rock and the BBQ was good there too...just different. It doesn't get much better than a good Texas brisket though!

We are west of Houston. We have tried five or six different places and haven't found any we love. Brisket is fine, but I love me some pulled pork! Let me know where you recommend! Next time we are out near Lake Jackson, we'll have to give it a try. :)

We are west of Houston. We have tried five or six different places and haven't found any we love. Brisket is fine, but I love me some pulled pork! Let me know where you recommend! Next time we are out near Lake Jackson, we'll have to give it a try. :)

Really I was just kidding you! I love the brisket, but where we grew up in Little Rock you're going to get the pork and I absolutely LOVE it so I do know what you're talking about! As a matter of fact when we go back for a visit we go get that pork BBQ. We moved here 32 years ago and I was surprised to never see any pork. Every region has their own type of BBQ..and in Texas it's brisket and sausage. Down here in LJ there is a place called Brian's BBQ and it's really good...it's not a chain, it's locally owned. So, if you're ever down this way you'll have to try it.

IF you all ever travel the brownwood way...look me up. I make some fantastic bbq ribs. and MIL makes some mean pulled pork. But hey that's what its all about around here.

There is a small shack on the side of the road that sells fried ribs and has some great bbq. I cannot think of exactly where right now. My husband knows, he goes there every chance he gets. It's down towards waco somewhere. Maybe someone here will know what I'm talking about. If not I will find out from hubby when he gets home from work and repost.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Cruise buddy! :)

Unfortunately you'll miss Canton Trade Days. It's the weekend of June 6th.

Half way between Dallas and Houston is Centerville. There's a little place called "Woody's". There are 2 locations at the Centerville exit. The west side is a sandwich shop. The east side is a BBQ smokehouse that has THE BEST jerky. I was never really a fan of jerky until I went here. It's similar to buying meat at a deli. They sell it by the pound. It's fresh and really soft. Not like the dried up stuff you'll get other places. The people there are really friendly and will let you sample the different jerky to see what you like. They also have a restaurant with your typical Texas BBQ. They use a dry rub, so it's not covered in sauce. It's very simple, but we like it.

I'm actually going to be stopping at Woody's on my way back from Galveston to pick up 2 lbs of sweet and spicy beef jerky. Love it! You can freeze it too!

In Houston, you can check out the Space Center (they usually have discount tickets online).

Hope you have a fun and safe trip!

Kemah and Moody Gardens are what you'd expect, just visit their respective websites for a quick look.

Here is where we take visitors for a local flair tour:

Benno's (12th and Seawall Blvd) for lunch or dinner. Sit outside and watch the water.

Take ride over to the east side of the island to ride the Bolivar Ferry. Don't bother to drive on instead park at the free lot and walk aboard. The 20 minute ride across the natural gateway from Galveston Bay to the Gulf is really cool. Watch for dolphins in the bow wake of passing vessels.

Original Mexican Cafe' and Mosquito Cafe for a meal. Both are locally owned and really good.

Gaido's or Casey's for dinner; both are owned by the same family for 100 years and Caseys is less formal and less expensive.

The Olympia Grill has a new location besides the one on Seawall Blvd, and it's right on the channel at 21st and Harborside. Dining on the patio is really nice.

The Saltwater Grill on Postoffice is perhaps the best food on the island. The locals know where to go.

Grab a burger and brew at the Spot on the Seawall. Fun place!

Willie G's at Pier 21 is really good, owned by the Landry's group. I like their restaurants, but would dine on local flair first.

Touring Bishops Palace is nice, or a stroll down Strand Ave offers something for everyone. Grab a cold drink and sit outside at Mo Betta Market. A little touristy, but so is Galveston :)

Bored yet? then read one of my submissions to the local paper here:

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/119683/

We are there a bunch on weekends, so stop us and pet Maggie the Monster golden retriever :)

Thanks everyone. I love local owned places, anytime I travel I try to do business with the locals when possible. I LOVE those hidden jewels that you find along the way off of the beaten path.

I think we might have to hit up the Saltwater Grill. In my opinion the locals always know best!

We are for sure driving down TX-19 then hitting I-45 to Houston. We are trying to make our road trip as much of our vacation as the cruise. The scenic route will be a nice change for the hustle and bustle of the interstate. It will be nice to drive and not here, "MOM, MOM, MOM, MOM" every 5 seconds, lol.:D

I'll make sure to look for all the beautiful flowers along the way and I am way bummed that Canton won't be holding there market that day. I've heard it is awesome, but I've heard that I would need a day or so just to go through it!

Hey Cruise buddy! :)

Unfortunately you'll miss Canton Trade Days. It's the weekend of June 6th.

Half way between Dallas and Houston is Centerville. There's a little place called "Woody's". There are 2 locations at the Centerville exit. The west side is a sandwich shop. The east side is a BBQ smokehouse that has THE BEST jerky. I was never really a fan of jerky until I went here. It's similar to buying meat at a deli. They sell it by the pound. It's fresh and really soft. Not like the dried up stuff you'll get other places. The people there are really friendly and will let you sample the different jerky to see what you like. They also have a restaurant with your typical Texas BBQ. They use a dry rub, so it's not covered in sauce. It's very simple, but we like it.

I'm actually going to be stopping at Woody's on my way back from Galveston to pick up 2 lbs of sweet and spicy beef jerky. Love it! You can freeze it too!

In Houston, you can check out the Space Center (they usually have discount tickets online).

Hope you have a fun and safe trip!

I'll have to remember the place with the beef jerky on the way home. We will be hauling butt back home, to get there in time to prepare food for my Grandpa's 75th birthday party. So we will be going that way!

Thanks Cruise Buddy!!!!! It's almost time. I'm actually heading out on the 10th so my vacation is getting REALLY close!

Also be sure & check out BUCKY's. It is a Truckstop/Tourist store place. Very Clean & Nice. Best restrooms around. You will see Billboards along the way with the Beaver on it.

And dont forget to get some Beaver Nuggets or whatever they are.

This Texas based chain of stores is directed squarely at the road traveler.

They promote the cleanliness of their restrooms, nuggets, jerky and fudge.

In reality they are what Stuckey's was decades ago.

One thing they are not is a truck stop. Trucks are prohibited at in their parking lot and fuel pumps. You will find a Love's truck stop almost within sight of most of the Buc ee's in Texas.

Try the turkey jerky. Don't let it dry out, put a wet paper towel in the plastic bag.

Hi everyone. We are driving down to Galveston in June from Kansas, we are leaving on a Thursday and we don't set sail until Saturday. We already have plans to spend the night with family in Paris, Tx on the way down.

Friday will be a wide open day and I was just curious what are some things that we shouldn't miss on the drive down? We are already booked at the Harbor House when we get to Galveston. I love small town cafes, kitchy places off the beaten path, etc.... What is something that we shouldn't miss? BTW, my DH is a huge BBQ fan. Any good BBQ joints along the way?

It is just the DH and me heading down, so we are pretty excited. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

You can take a tour at NASA, it is just a few miles east of I-45. Best BBQ would be either Spring Creek or Goode Company BBQ. Not sure about the off path cafe's and such on that side of town, since we live on the NE side.

You need to stop at the Collins Street Bakery and the Russell Stover Factory on the way down I-45 in Corsicana.

Also there is a great little burger joint at the 2nd exit for Madisonville called Texas Burger.

If you go to Kemah, they have lots of places to eat at the Boardwalk. One of my favorites is The Cadillac Bar (it's awesome Mexican food!!!)

Enjoy the drive, and dont rush to Houston.....the traffic is bad but just know that on the other side is the turn towards Galveston ;)

When coming down I45 through north Houston,(actually Spring,Tx), exit Holzwarth ,then take the crossover to the other side of the interstate on Louetta Rd. to Rudy's barbeque, you"ll be glad you made the effort. As another said,when you get down to S.I45 closer to Galveston... T Bone Tom"s in Kemah (google it) is great and a little out of the way but worth it if you have time. It's one of our regular stops. It was featured on Diners ,Drive-ins & Dives on the food network.

Archived