Xcaret: Book through ship or go it alone?

S.E.

Hi everyone. We are going to be in Cozumel this June. We really want to go to Xcaret, however we are now debating whether to do it through the ship (Carnival) or go it alone.

I'm not concerned about the price difference, but more about the time issue. We want to do the underground river, see some of the animals, swim with dolphins and spend at least 30 minutes relaxing at the beach.

Would there be enough time through the ship to do all this?

How much extra time do you get at Xcaret if you go it alone?

Thanks

This is one I would only do through the ship. You have to take a ferry over to the mainland and then transportation of some kind to the park. That alone will take about an hour each way. If you were to miss the ferry going back to Coz, the ship will sail without you.

If your ship also goes to Calica, go then. The underground river at Xcaret was the worst part of the day for me. There are very few fish in the water, the water was colder than the ocean, it is crowded and if you get people in front of you that don't know how to swim with fins you can get kicked (like me). Chankanaab Parque has dolphins also, it's less than a 15 minute cab ribe from the ship, cheaper entry fee and better snorkeling. The one thing I did like about Xcaret was the Turtle Lagoon.

Archived