MDR Tip Question

misterchatter

First off, let me say I'm not off to STIFF anyone. I am traveling solo next month and do not PLAN to use the MDR. If I don't, I was wondering if it was OK to cancel the tips for the waitstaff in the MDR and pay cash ( $2.00 per day) to whoever works the area I'm in in the buffet? I/we have never done this. We always do tip extra to the MDR staff and room steward at the end of the cruise. Or then again, just leave it as is. Opinions/advice. I know these workers do bust there butt.

Your tips in the MDR also go to the people serving the buffet. Leave them where they're at and if someone in the buffet does an especially good job, slip them a little something extra. On the ROS a few years ago we ran into a great server up in the Buffet. He was a Brazilian as I recall and was as friendly as hell. Always talked to us when we were grabbing lunch. Last day we slipped him a 10 dollar tip because we felt he earned it.

I would leave it as it is. But if you are not going to the MDR at all you should let the Matre d know so he can reassign the table to someone.

Wait staff rotate in the dining room and the buffet area. You will also see them cleaning tables etc on their off hours.

It is your money and you get to do what you want.

If I was never going to set foot in the DR would probably give my tip money to the people who were actually cleaning my tables and helping me and not to someone who has probably not done anything for me on the cruise.

However if I was going to eat all 3 meals in the lido deck would give out more than $ 2 per day.

BTW when I get flamed for my opinion please note that we eat most of our meals in the DR and never take off the automatic tips and often add to them.

I'd leave it as it is and tip them additional cash if you wanted.

I wouldn't want to worry about covering all the support staff in the buffet area. The times we ate there they were all pretty attentive. Also I would feel weird handing the guy who served my stuff to me etc money.

If you think of it as tips for the serving staff as a whole, rather than just MDR tips, you'll realize that it doesn't matter where you eat, as everyone gets a portion of your tips. Please leave them in place. You can always tip extra.

Archived