Costa Deliziosa taking passports until disembarkation

djaustin

I've cruised many times and November 2010 will be the second European cruise and multiple vacations all over Europe. I am reading where upon embarkation passports are being secured and not returned until bill is settled at disembarkation. Is this something new??? I personally do not feel comfortable touring around Europe without my passport. Any input???? :confused:

I've cruised many times and November 2010 will be the second European cruise and multiple vacations all over Europe. I am reading where upon embarkation passports are being secured and not returned until bill is settled at disembarkation. Is this something new??? I personally do not feel comfortable touring around Europe without my passport. Any input???? :confused:

I know how you feel - kinda naked without it.

But as other responses, holding pax' passports is policy on some cruiselines & for some itineraries.

Avoids the need for passengers to present them at daft o'clock in the morning for inspection by immigration staff, also for block stamping or issuing of visas etc.

Also has the added advantage that if you miss the sailing at a port, your passports can easily be found & handed to ship's shore agent as the ship casts off, to be handed on to you when you materialise.

It has nothing to do with your on-board account, and in any case they may not have the legal right to with-hold it as security.

I think Costa have a cat-o'-nine-tails for non-payers :D

John Bull

Heck, I've had cruise lines take my US passport for Caribbean and Alaska cruises. Don't worry. It happens a lot. And, most cruise lines take and keep the passports for non-US citizens for every cruise. BTW, in all my many, many cruises, I've never taken my passport off the ship unless a country requires it, such as Russia.

Yes, this is what must be done now. The Immigration from each island or country needs to know who is on board. This does not create a problem just another way to insure all goes smoothly.

I have 2 phocopies of my Passport. One stays in the safe in my cabin and the other I carry with me when I go ashore.

Julie

Archived