Torre Catalunya

sk84fungirl

I am cruising out of Barcelona next April. My plan is to fly out of ATL on Thursday evening and arrive Friday morning for a weekend pre-stay before our Sunday evening cruise.

At this time, I am starting my research for hotels and/or apts. There are only two of us and we are mid-40's. We are inquisitive, but not partiers...:p. As a result, we dont have to be near the closest bars or anything like that. But we do like to have fun.

A hotel that we are seriosuly considering is Torre Catalunya as we may have a way to stay there for no cost. The reviews seems nice. Any thoughts on this hotel?

Also, as I've been reading the boards, I see apts are very popular. What rate should we have in mind for an apt for 2?

Thanks a bunch!

HI there,

"FREE" is always good so hard to beat that hotel price!

IF you take a look at a map (Google is good)you will see that the hotel location is near: Sants train station which would take you on a day trip to either Montserrat or Figueres if you like.

It is also near the Magic Fountain and Montjuic with its views, museums etc

The #50 bus goes along Gran Via and up Montjuic so you can get around BUT I'd prefer a first visit location to be in the area above Placa Catalunya which is just a bit more central to sights.

I cannot help with apartment prices.

HI there,

"FREE" is always good so hard to beat that hotel price!

IF you take a look at a map (Google is good)you will see that the hotel location is near: Sants train station which would take you on a day trip to either Montserrat or Figueres if you like.

It is also near the Magic Fountain and Montjuic with its views, museums etc

The #50 bus goes along Gran Via and up Montjuic so you can get around BUT I'd prefer a first visit location to be in the area above Placa Catalunya which is just a bit more central to sights.

I cannot help with apartment prices.

Thanks a bunch!

I agree with riffatsea, nothing beats FREE. Tripadvisor contributors rank it #13 in BCN.

We stayed at the B-Hotel near Plaza Espanya back in 2005 and liked the area for all the sights. I don't recall where the Torre Catalunya is in relation to the B-Hotel which was near the Convention Center and the Bullring which was in the midst of conversion to an entertainment center. The location is not as touristy as downtown which is a short Metro ride away but we had some nice meals at a couple of restaurants in the neighborhood.

I recognize your name from last year's roll call - Emerald Princess Baltic August 2009. I helped with the Meet and Greet, and I think I remember meeting you.

DH and I are going to the Western Mediterranean this year with HAL and we are researching Barcelona, too.

Just thought I would say hi.:)

Bobbie and Jim

Hi Bobbie & Jim-

Yep - we were on the Emerald in 2009. I briefly considered one of the HAL and one of the Celebrity Century Mediterranean cruises but chose Disney because of the price and itinerary. So far, there are only 2 participants on the roll call for our sailing.

Iv'e been to BCN 3 times (1975, 2005, 2007). In 2007 we stayed in the Glories neighborhood. For our upcoming trip, I am researching hotels in Eixample, Gracia and the Barri Gotic. I like to try out different neighborhoods since we like to do a lot of walking.

Have fun planning your excursions for your HAL cruise, maybe we'll cross paths again sometime.

Hope I spelled it correctly...:o

In addition to the Torre Catalunya, we are considering one of these apts. Apparently there are 10 of them...http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/spain/barcelona/38038/

If they allow a 2-night stay, this is our other option which will also be no cost via a loyalty program. Looks like cool apartments. It is only two of us so we dont need a lot of space. Just a comfortable and clean space.

If anyone has feedback on Villarroel Apts or the area, I appreciate it.

Thanks

Archived