When do you go through custom on Alaska cruises?

banderboo

Our ship is leaving from Vancouver. I'm assuming that since this is a Canada port we will have to go through U.S. customs at our next port which is in the U.S. Since our itinerary from that point on is all U.S ports will we still go through customs at the end of the cruise or only at the first port?

You will have to clear US Immigration right at Canada Place, before you even board the ship. I don't recall if you also have to clear US Customs then, but I don't believe so.

When you return to Vancouver you will have to clear Canadian Immigration and Customs. If you are heading to the Vancouver airport, you clear US Immigration and Customs there, before you head to the gate. If you are flying out of Seattle, you clear US Immigration and Customs at the border.

The USA and Canada have a very friendly arrangement where you clear entry to the US before you even leave Canadian soil. Vancouver isn't the only city where this happens. Flying out of Montreal was the same.

Customs? Or Immigration? Or both?

I guess technically both. We were separated into two different line ups: Americans and Canadians on one side of the room and all other nationalities on the other side. Our line up had 2 US customs officers but we still moved pretty quickly. They checked our passports, asked a couple of questions, and waved us through. Not sure if the other nationalities had forms to fill out but that line up had several customs agents so it may have been a bit more intensive.

Customs? Or Immigration? Or both?

I've always thought it was Immigration at the Vancouver port before one boards the ship. I don't recall having to fill out any US Customs declaration prior to boarding in Vancouver. Of course, when I'm waiting to board the ship, my mind is usually occupied with "what can happen that will stop me getting on the ship?" so my recollection may not be perfect :)

I guess technically both. We were separated into two different line ups: Americans and Canadians on one side of the room and all other nationalities on the other side. Our line up had 2 US customs officers but we still moved pretty quickly. They checked our passports, asked a couple of questions, and waved us through. Not sure if the other nationalities had forms to fill out but that line up had several customs agents so it may have been a bit more intensive.

I've always thought it was Immigration at the Vancouver port before one boards the ship. I don't recall having to fill out any US Customs declaration prior to boarding in Vancouver. Of course, when I'm waiting to board the ship, my mind is usually occupied with "what can happen that will stop me getting on the ship?" so my recollection may not be perfect :)

Actually, I belive Cow Princess & Ruth are correct...You clear US. Immigrations not Customs..

Immigrations checks your passports but passengers don't have to fill out a Customs form & clear customs, before boarding the ship...

Be aware though, if you purchase things in Alaska & decide to mail them home via the U.S. Post Office & pack your box for sending while on the ship, you will have to fill out a Customs declaration & clear U.S. Customs before you can take your packed box to the Post Office.;);)

Even though you purchased these goods in the U.S. you are taking them on board a foreign flagged ship, which in effect is into a foreign country..I learned this on our last Alaskan trip, when HAL security would not let us off with our packed box..Fortunately the Customs Agent was still there & he had me make out a Customs declaration which he approved on the spot..

Cheers...:)Betty

Customs or Immigration? The clue to the answer is what documentation you present. Customs wants to see your customs declaration form. Immigration will ask for your passport (and visa if necessary) I believe that many of the Customs and Border Protection folks are cross trained, and may do customs work one day, and immigration checks the next, but I am willing to yield to those more knowledgeable.

Based on the responses my question should have been when do you clear immigration?

Which I answered in post #2. It's now been thoroughly discussed, and it appears the answer is still correct.

I guess technically both. They checked our passports, asked a couple of questions, and waved us through.

That's Immigration.

I've always thought it was Immigration at the Vancouver port before one boards the ship. I don't recall having to fill out any US Customs declaration prior to boarding in Vancouver.

Your memory is the same as mine.

On any other cruise with several US ports, Customs is only at the disembarkation port. So, boarding at Vancouver, heading to Alaska, there's no reason to go through US Customs, as you aren't disembarking in the US.

But Betty is right, you can't bring things "into" the US to send home unless the goods go through Customs, which is what you would be doing if you took something off the foreign ship---even things you bought in Alaska.

There used to be a separate U.S. Customs Service but in March, 2003, that agency was dissolved to form part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security as the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection.

There also used to be a U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), last found under the U.S. Department of Justice. This agency also, as of March, 2003, was dissolved to form part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security as the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection.

In other words, CBP oficials are the ones who check both your passport and your Customs Declaration Form 6059B upon reentering the USA.

USA_-_Customs_and_Border_Protection.png

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is a federal law enforcement agency of the United States Department of Homeland Security charged with regulating and facilitating international trade, collecting import duties, and enforcing U.S. regulations, including trade, drug and immigration.

CBP_Officer_Badge.jpg

While its primary mission is preventing terrorists and terrorist weapons from entering the United States, CBP is also responsible for apprehending individuals attempting to enter the United States illegally, stemming the flow of illegal drugs and other contraband, protecting United States agricultural and economic interests from harmful pests and diseases, and protecting American businesses from intellectual property theft.

There used to be a separate U.S. Customs Service but in March, 2003, that agency was dissolved to form part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security as the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection.

There also used to be a U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), last found under the U.S. Department of Justice. This agency also, as of March, 2003, was dissolved to form part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security as the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection.

In other words, CBP oficials are the ones who check both your passport and your Customs Declaration Form 6059B upon reentering the USA.

USA_-_Customs_and_Border_Protection.png

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is a federal law enforcement agency of the United States Department of Homeland Security charged with regulating and facilitating international trade, collecting import duties, and enforcing U.S. regulations, including trade, drug and immigration.

CBP_Officer_Badge.jpg

While its primary mission is preventing terrorists and terrorist weapons from entering the United States, CBP is also responsible for apprehending individuals attempting to enter the United States illegally, stemming the flow of illegal drugs and other contraband, protecting United States agricultural and economic interests from harmful pests and diseases, and protecting American businesses from intellectual property theft.

Thanks John, and as an aside, if you ever need to go to the emergency room, print out the CBP shield in the above post, and tape it to your old military fatigues, and you will likely find that the waiting list shortens dramatically!

Archived