Live From The Sun!

cruiserforlife

We had the hand sanitizers at the entrance to the buffet on the Sun in January, but not at the entrance to the dining room. As CFL said, we also had baskets of bread and salt and pepper shakers. There must have been some recent health scare, although there was norovirus on the Sun the week before we sailed in January. The bread was great -- I am glad we got a whole basket!!

Thanks to all for the continued updates.

Mary

Hi dirtgirl! It was a nice group, wasn't it? :)

One of the women at our table at dinner was on the LA-Vancouver sailing and said that the bread/salt/pepper thing was going on for that sailing as well, so it predated whoever puked in the buffet. She also said that she spoke to someone who had been on the Canal transit just prior to the LA-Vancouver sailing and they had bread on the tables then, so she thought it might have to do with US health rules. Hopefully someone on the Alaska sailing can post and tell us what's going on.

Oh, I thought of something I forgot to include in my review: the coffee wasn't half as bad as I remembered it being, especially in Horizon Court. Last year on the Diamond, I found myself not drinking coffee at breakfast in the buffet (which is practically illegal for someone from Seattle) because it was so gawd-awful. This year on the Sun, it was pretty decent in the buffet. The dining room coffee was exactly as I remembered it from last year, good especially with dessert. But coffee is so subjective, I'm sure about 14 people will post back saying it stank.

They eventually put out the salt and pepper when we asked for it, but we had to ask each night. Also, in Horizon Court they had packets of salt/pepper instead of shakers, so you had to remember to pick some up before going to a table to sit down.

They had hand sanitizer at the entrance to the dining room as well as the buffet, which wasn't the case on the Diamond last year (just at the buffet, not the dining room) so I'm wondering about a health scare too.

Hand sanitizers in the dining rooms too?

That IS something new, I've seen them in the HC but never in the dining rooms.

Something must have been going on for them to go to Phase 2...

We had the hand sanitizers at the entrance to the buffet on the Sun in January, but not at the entrance to the dining room. As CFL said, we also had baskets of bread and salt and pepper shakers. There must have been some recent health scare, although there was norovirus on the Sun the week before we sailed in January. The bread was great -- I am glad we got a whole basket!!

Thanks to all for the continued updates.

Mary

Hey Mary,how are you?

Yeah that bread sure was tasty,something new everynight and since Princess has all that Italian experience with their great,tasty pizza and calzones,you know they do a great job with bread and rolls.

I was trying to cut out the carbs on that cruise so I could consume 18 lobster tails:eek: ,but I couldn't resist those breadsticks everynight!:D

Cruiser for Life,

Off the topic somewhat, but can you tell me the name of the company in Miami and phone number (if you remember them) of the women who deliver water, beer, soda, etc. to the ships in FLL? I used them when I was on the SUn and I can't remember their names or phone number.

Thank you so much,

Corinne

In case CFL doesn't remember, the delivery service he used was Just Because of You, Laurie and Shelly, phone 800-882-9707. I made a note of it at the time in case I ever needed to use it in the future.

John -- glad to see some of us from 1/28 are still checking in on this thread. It has been very interesting and entertaining. Hope all is well in California in your new home.

Mary

Hey Mary,thanks for answering that question for Corinne Marie...I would have had to look it up myself.

Life is good here in sunny CA with the new home,thanks for asking.This thread amazes me that it's still rolling along...it's usually the first thing I check every morning and it looks like we'll have more "Live" postings from the Sun soon.

Makes you feel like you're still cruising,doesn't it?

Hi folks. The internet service on ship has been out of service in case you haven't heard from others on this sailing. I'm writing from Seaport Cyber at the moment, missed the CC meeting on the ship, so don't know if others are trying to post. Ketchikan is cloudy and 53 DegF, breezy. We're in port with the Regal and the Crystal Harmony. Have to run, headed over to Creek Street. Will try to post again later.

Hello Mary and John ~ it is nice to see that we are still checking in and keeping up with the Sun. I think that means we all need to go again .... ;)

Thanks to everyone who continues to post.....it's great to hear you!

Thank you kindly Mary for posting the name and phone number for "Just Because of You". I did use them once when I went on the Sun in March and will use them again when I travel on the Caribbean Princess in August.

Corinne

Corinne,

Yes,"Just Because of You" provides an excellent service and Shelly & Laurie are two sweethearts!Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Anne,

Nice to hear from you...YES,we do need to go again...SOON!:D

Patsy, on our 3-night sailing, 2nd seating dinner was at 8 and the shows mainly started at either 8:30 or 10:30. The comedian was the only show we went to and it was indeed pretty full when we got there.

Patsy -- we loved our cruise on the Sun in January, but one of our complaints was how crowded the shows were. You had to go at least 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before they started if you wanted a seat. We had early seating. It seemed like I could have been doing something better during that time. The show rooms are too small to accommodate all those from a dinner seating. We have sailed Celebrity several times in the past and their showrooms were so large you could arrive at the show a few mintues before and find a seat. That was one of our few complaints on an otherwise great cruise.

Hi to Anne and John. We are in the middle of planning a cruise on the Golden in January with our kids. Hope we like it as much as we did the Sun. The only down side is it will only be 7 days and we have come to like the 10 day cruises.

Mary

Mary,

That's great about your upcoming cruise,I hope it's half as good as our Sun sailing was!:D

The shows have seemed to me to have become more popular on Princess the last few years (if that's at all possible) and I would agree,the theaters seem to be a tad small and cannot handle the crowds.I always remembered getting good seats right up to showtime but not anymore.We just headed for the front row and that worked out pretty well since I don't see very well far away.

Thanks for info. I was thinking the people who do personal choice may be through eating before the traditional meal times are over. That could account for the show rooms filling up early. I agree, I hate to spend time just sitting to save my place for a show.

Patsy

Patsy,

That's probably the biggest reason why we decided to try PC dining on our 1/28 Sun sailing,I was trying to speed up the dining process by 30 minutes in an attempt to make the evening shows.The fact that it turned out to be an excellent choice was like icing on the cake.:rolleyes:

Thanks, Cruiserforlife. By the way, I love your area of the country. We lived in L.A. area (Arcadia) for a couple of years before retirement and loved it. We always had to take people up the coast hwy. to see the awesome scenery.

Patsy

Patsy,

Yes,the Monterey Peninsula certainly is a beautiful place to live and the rugged coastline on Hwy.1 in Big Sur has some of the most spectacular scenery anywhere in the world.That's why I don't feel bad when I'm not cruising because I live in one of the most beautiful places on earth.;)

I will second the motion on the posts regarding the shows and how crowded they are. We were on the Sun in February and like someone else said you had to get to the show 30-45 minutes early to get a seat. I think Princess and probably other cruise lines as well need to rethink how they do personal choice dining. Obviously this is the reason for the crowd.

It used to be so nice with the assigned shows for early and late seating.

Hi Everyone,

I am currently on the Sun Princess.

Internet has been sporadic - I have been told that it has barely worked the last 9 days. I have been able to get on a few times but it has been very slow. Today it does seem to work.

Norwalk is present on this ship. We all received a letter about it in our cabins 2 days ago. We have been encouraged to use the bathrooms only in our cabins. The doors to the public restrooms are open so that we don't need to touch the handles to the doors if we do use public restrooms.

Hand santizers are everywhere -dining room, horizon court, pizzeria, etc. . In the dining room, there are no longer any rolls and butter at the table. Those are served to us. Salt and pepper shakers have also been removed and the waiters are salting our food. In the HOrizon Court - everything is being servedor handed to us. I had to ask for a Banana and then a server gave it to me. Everyone who is not sick is taking all the precautions in strides.

I went to the most traveled party last night and no hourdourves were served because of Norwalk and the Captain is not shaking anyone's hands.

Princess is taking this very seriously and staff are constantly cleaning the ship every time I look.

I heard from a travel agent from Australia who has a group onboard (2 of those people are sick) that 60 people are sick. I am not sure how accurate that is. I have heard rumblings that those people who are sick are upset that they are confined to their rooms.

I will also try to report back later if internet permits.

Theresa

Archived