Summer 2011 Brochure

Agree - should have been more adventurous with the itineraries and ports - should have done new routes eg taking in Malta and perhaps Sousse etc - pity it is the same/similar trusted routes - Thomson will have to offer variety to help retain long standing customers seeking fresh adventures - all they have to do is introduce a couple of variation cruises and rotate them with the other " established " ones

I think you're right there. Much as we're big fans of Thomson it's not very inspiring - it's good to see some new itineraries from time to time - we did one in the Black Sea last year which was a bit of a 'one off' but was very interesting. And that seems to have disappeared altogether too. To retain their customer base they do need to 'tempt' us with something new - even just a new twist to the permutations with a few new ports thrown in as you suggest. We could start a new thread of suggestions of ports we'd like to see added to the repertoire in the Med!

I wasn't hopeful about the UK sailings - and when you reminded me of the announcement about needing another ship before that would be considered that knocked my faint hopes into touch! But pulling UK sailings where they had several combinations based around about three different itineraries = significantly reduced choice. (I know there's the issue of maximising Thomsonfly and UK sailings don't help to fill aircraft which presumably is an important economic factor for them but that doesn't help those customers who want more variety.)

By having the Dream and Destiny (and IE too!) all sailing from Palma it's centering a large part of their operations (itineraries) from one port.

Still, they didn't announce they were getting the Dream until July last year so we can hope they MIGHT just get another addition to the fleet during this year and that would open up a whole new set of possibilities. (No, I really don't think it will happen - but I live in hope!!! :D )

P.S. Have you been able to book something else in lieu of your cancelled Spirit cruise? :( Perhaps you've told us and I've missed it - but if not I hope you find an alternative soon :)

By having the Dream and Destiny (and IE too!) all sailing from Palma it's centering a large part of their operations (itineraries) from one port.

There's only so many times too you can keep revisiting the same destinations no matter how much you love the Thomson's brand.

We're old Thomson's customers but are relatively new to their cruises. So we are lucky as we have still lots of choice left.

But like you we were disappointed about no Baltic / Norway cruises from the UK.

Berwyn

I think you're right there. Much as we're big fans of Thomson it's not very inspiring - it's good to see some new itineraries from time to time - we did one in the Black Sea last year which was a bit of a 'one off' but was very interesting. And that seems to have disappeared altogether too. To retain their customer base they do need to 'tempt' us with something new - even just a new twist to the permutations with a few new ports thrown in as you suggest. We could start a new thread of suggestions of ports we'd like to see added to the repertoire in the Med!

I wasn't hopeful about the UK sailings - and when you reminded me of the announcement about needing another ship before that would be considered that knocked my faint hopes into touch! But pulling UK sailings where they had several combinations based around about three different itineraries = significantly reduced choice. (I know there's the issue of maximising Thomsonfly and UK sailings don't help to fill aircraft which presumably is an important economic factor for them but that doesn't help those customers who want more variety.)

Still, they didn't announce they were getting the Dream until July last year so we can hope they MIGHT just get another addition to the fleet during this year and that would open up a whole new set of possibilities. (No, I really don't think it will happen - but I live in hope!!! :D )

P.S. Have you been able to book something else in lieu of your cancelled Spirit cruise? :( Perhaps you've told us and I've missed it - but if not I hope you find an alternative soon :)

Completely agree about the 3 ships sailing from Palma almost following each other around like London buses !!

I did email Thomson cruises with some proposed itineraries last year but will be doing so again so if anyone has any ideas post them on here. The key thing is location of the ports and whether they can sell trips etc - by location you have to include whether the ship can actually reach them in the time allowed ( eg overnight or day at sea ).

Thomsons did say last summer that they had not ruled out getting an additional Island branded ship either - I can put forward two ideas for starters - there are two good Louis ship that are said to be available for lease and that is the Louis Majesty ( right size etc for the Thomson brand ) and they could be really brave and take the Louis Cristal and stick that in the North Sea ! The latter lacks sunbathing areas but there will be less demand for that on those itineraries. Rumours of the Costa Romantica may yet re emerge but having seen that from the quay side in person it does not appeal to me but then again nor does the Island Escape.The Romantica would be good for the Island brand though. The other rumour was Norwegian Dream but that seems to have some issues so no one seems to want it at the moment.On paper it seems like a good size ship with the right facilities.

As for our cruises - we will look to rebook soon - may go last minute either end of May before the bank hol or June !! Thanks for asking.:)

If its the Cristal I'm thinking of its a really funny looking ship...... from the side it looks like a chunk has been cut off the back....from the back the left hand is straight up and down and the right hand side slopes outwards !!:confused: she was berthed in front of us in Ashdod... and she was also listing to starboard.....during the daytime so not because the passengers were all on one side !!!:D

We have seen her in Santorini and Istanbul so she seems to keep to the Eastern Med ...don't know whether she'd survive the North Sea :D:D

If its the Cristal I'm thinking of its a really funny looking ship...... from the side it looks like a chunk has been cut off the back....from the back the left hand is straight up and down and the right hand side slopes outwards !!:confused: she was berthed in front of us in Ashdod... and she was also listing to starboard.....during the daytime so not because the passengers were all on one side !!!:D

We have seen her in Santorini and Istanbul so she seems to keep to the Eastern Med ...don't know whether she'd survive the North Sea :D:D

yes that is the very ship I mean - but it does not usually list !!:)

Completely agree about the 3 ships sailing from Palma almost following each other around like London buses !!

I did email Thomson cruises with some proposed itineraries last year but will be doing so again so if anyone has any ideas post them on here. The key thing is location of the ports and whether they can sell trips etc - by location you have to include whether the ship can actually reach them in the time allowed ( eg overnight or day at sea ).

Thomsons did say last summer that they had not ruled out getting an additional Island branded ship either - I can put forward two ideas for starters - there are two good Louis ship that are said to be available for lease and that is the Louis Majesty ( right size etc for the Thomson brand ) and they could be really brave and take the Louis Cristal and stick that in the North Sea ! The latter lacks sunbathing areas but there will be less demand for that on those itineraries. Rumours of the Costa Romantica may yet re emerge but having seen that from the quay side in person it does not appeal to me but then again nor does the Island Escape.The Romantica would be good for the Island brand though. The other rumour was Norwegian Dream but that seems to have some issues so no one seems to want it at the moment.On paper it seems like a good size ship with the right facilities.

As for our cruises - we will look to rebook soon - may go last minute either end of May before the bank hol or June !! Thanks for asking.:)

Very interesting ideas about potential 'new' ships - perhaps it's not a lost cause after all! :D I await developments (at least I hope there will be some!).

I'd be interested in your ideas of other/addtional ports of call too.

I'd also like to see Malta included.

My top request would be for La Spezia there again - with fantastic excursions from there - the Cinque Terre (very easy to adopt a DiY using local train and ferry services) and Portovenere (ferry service). It used to be on their itineraries - we've been twice but I don't think I'd ever tire of this fantastic stop.

I'd really like to see a another Black Sea cruise with Yalta, Odessa, Sevastopol, 2 x days in Istanbul, Nessebar looks to have a nice beach - but no first hand experience of this port (but ditch Trabzon!).

In fact I think there could be more cruises with 2 day stops at really BIG destinations (like Istanbul, Venice) but perhaps that is more expensive.

It would be nice to think Thomson would take notice of our suggestions! :)

Went in today and all they wanted to do was for you to say what you were interested in and get you to pre register.

Told them I would need to see the brochure first. At least I haven't done most of the itineraries. So would I be best to book late not early?

Well I still haven't seen the brochure yet - waiting on hubby bringing one home tonight. However after reading all your comments and then having a look on the website this morning, I feel quite disappointed now after all those weeks of waiting and getting excited! Been a bit of a damp squib hasn't it?? :rolleyes:

The only itinerary I am really interested in is the Sunshine and Souks one on IE as I'd like to do Morocco.

I'd have liked to see more Venice but the only itinerary I can see is the Adriatic Explorer again. :(

Brochure prices are exaggerated- Today I told Thomson rep that cruisedeals.co.uk offers same cruise much cheaper and they then matched that price which was £300 cheaper per person! Do not go on brochure price and always make sure you check other sites first.

I went online this morning and spoke to cruise deals, who did it cheaper but not much only about £150. So I went into TA and spoke to them, they were going to look at a cruise only and seperate flights, which I didn't want, as cruisedeals wanted £600 deposit, they thought this is what they'd done.

However they've matched the price as a package, and now if I don't like this years cruise on Dream I can always swap to a land base holiday without losing my deposit, so I booked it:D

Archived