Roma pass

zeppysky

I had heard that the Roma pass is an inexpensive way to see Rome museums, however, I cannot figure out if you can use one for both the ancient Rome museums (Collesso, etc.) and the Vatican museums. Can anyone chime in on this. It states you can see three for free, ride public transportation free for three days.

The Vatican museum is not included. Why? Because the Vatican is its own sovereign state; it is not a part of Rome, although located "within" Rome.

The Colosseum, Forum, and Palatine Hill all count as only one museum, although technically 3 different sites -- a great deal.

I have visited many of the included museums. I highly recommend the Capitoline Museum for ancient art and the Borghese Gallery for Renaissance/Baroque art. The National museum includes 4 different sites but the one most worth visiting is Terme al Massimo near Termini station.

In response to another recent post, I also said that you should carefully determine whether the pass is worth the money. As the cost is now 25 euro, I figure that you'd need to visit at least 4 museums to break even (you get discounts after the first two free visits) and ride the public transportation at least several times per day during the 3-day valid period.

Thanks for your quick reply. Can you help us with this. Family of 6 adults will be in Rome from noonish on one day and leaving around 1 p.m. the next for our cruise (Civ. port). We wanted to see the usual sites, can you advise on whether or not to go to the Vatican Museums early morning or afternoon. We will stay near Piazza Navona and want to see the Collessem, Forum, Trevi Fountain (at night), Sistine Chapel, possibly the Spanish steps. I have heard that the Colessem is OK from the outside (no need to go in?). Any suggestions are welcomed.:)

I would suggest doing the Vatican museum in the afternoon when the lines are shorter (unless you are ordering your tickets in advance -- which you can do on the Vatican website, but you have to select a time).

However, that means doing the museum the day you arrive, not always the best plan when you are tired from travel.... Also, I hope you don't mean that your flight arrives a noon, if so, it may be close to 2pm before you are in the city and ready to start sightseeing.

Be that as it may, I'd suggest the following:

Afternoon: Vatican museum (Sistine chapel) and St Peters Basilica (you can shortcut into the basilica from the Sistine chapel; read how by searching this board)

Evening: Dinner and stroll by Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, and Piazza Navona. (Skip the Spanish steps, they're the farthest away and just not worth it.)

Next morning: Colosseum and Forum. There is one ticket for both, so I'd recommend purchasing it and seeing the inside of the Colosseum too. Not seeing the inside would be a big disappointment for me, anyway. The ticket also lets you walk around the Forum; otherwise you can only see it from the street.

Thanks great info. No our plane arrived at 8:45 a.m., I just added the additional time because I know the luggage is usually later being unloaded, then we have to get to downtown Rome, and we wanted to drop our luggage before heading out.

We will take Ambien on the flight to Europe so should be rested (well kind of due to the plane seats), and ready to hit the streets. I thought lunch then Vatican (Like you mentioned), like the idea. I do realize we will be tired regardless, so we don't want to stress ourselves out. We are staying near Navona, so that means we will be able to see that easily.

Where can I buy a Colosseum ticket ahead of time? I have the Vatican website but some of the Colosseum sites add an additional charge to buy online.

I don't think we need the Roma Pass since we won't have very much time.

Where can I buy a Colosseum ticket ahead of time? I have the Vatican website but some of the Colosseum sites add an additional charge to buy online.

There's really no need to buy the Colosseum ticket ahead of time, simply go to the Palatine ticket office where there is no line (or a very short one).

Directions to find the Palatine ticket office: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1184315

There's no real need to buy them in advance. If you arrive around the time it opens, there won't be much of a line (well, I take that back -- there may be some line; I generally am in Rome when it's off-season).

I suggest you check to see if the line looks long. If it is go to the Palatine Hill entrance and buy your ticket there. Here is a recent post with directions from the Metro stop. If you are going by taxi from Navona, just tell the driver "Palatino, San Gregorio," and he'll drop you at the Palatine Hill entrance. If you are walking, just follow your chosen route to the Colosseum and use the directions in the link to get to the ticket office.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1184315

Archived