Can French Champagne be Brought into UK from US?

Does anyone know if there are any UK restrictions against bringing French champagne into the country from outside the EU? (DH has a favorite that I've been unable to locate in London via online search, so I'd like to be able to bring it from home if possible.)

No, there aren't any restrictions other than the normal customs limits on wines, above which you would be required to pay duties. Hard to imagine a French champagne that isn't available in London, and even if there is you are only a 137 minute train ride away from the centre of Paris. Within the EU of course there is no restriction providing the quantities are deemed reasonable for personal use.

Does anyone know if there are any UK restrictions against bringing French champagne into the country from outside the EU? (DH has a favorite that I've been unable to locate in London via online search, so I'd like to be able to bring it from home if possible.)

You can bring in two litres provided that, as per security restrictions, its in your checked baggage if you arrive by air.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm

John Bull

ps - as per Jetdriver, you can bring it in by the truckload if you declare it & pay duty & VAT

Thanks Jet and John. I guess I could have worded my request better...I never doubted Her Majesty would be happy to collect duties if I crossed the magic threshhold! We'll only have a day and a half in London, so a trip across the channel isn't very practical. Also, don't want to spend all our tourist time seeking the elusive grape. Your responses help. I appreciate your prompt replies.

Isn't all champagne French?

Thanks Jet and John. I guess I could have worded my request better...I never doubted Her Majesty would be happy to collect duties if I crossed the magic threshhold! We'll only have a day and a half in London, so a trip across the channel isn't very practical. Also, don't want to spend all our tourist time seeking the elusive grape. Your responses help. I appreciate your prompt replies.

Now here's an interesting question.

A bottle is 3/4 ltr.

A person can bring in 2 bottles, but a third bottle would take them over the 2 litre limit.

But if two of you brought in five bottles between you, that's under the 4 litre limit for 2 people.

I'd have thought that's legit. :)

But it's you who'll get sent to the Tower if it isn't :D

JB

Now here's an interesting question.

A bottle is 3/4 ltr.

A person can bring in 2 bottles, but a third bottle would take them over the 2 litre limit.

But if two of you brought in five bottles between you, that's under the 4 litre limit for 2 people.

I'd have thought that's legit. :)

But it's you who'll get sent to the Tower if it isn't :D

JB

John--I can top those calculations. The bottles we like are actually "minis" of 180ml each (branded as POP on this side of the pond,) so--if my metric education was correct--we can bring 10 bottles each and escape the Tower!

John--I can top those calculations. The bottles we like are actually "minis" of 180ml each (branded as POP on this side of the pond,) so--if my metric education was correct--we can bring 10 bottles each and escape the Tower!

Eleven times 180 ml is 1.98 litres :p

But more important, in widgy little bottles of 180ml that surely can't be natural fermentation "methode champenoise" bubbles, it has to be manufactured pumped-in "methode coca-colaise" bubbles :D

So you escape the Tower :)

Only to face the guillotine :eek:

Regards, JB

(DH has a favorite that I've been unable to locate in London via online search, so I'd like to be able to bring it from home if possible.)
It's unlikely that there is any real champagne that you can get in the US but not in the UK. Can you tell us what it is?

It's unlikely that there is any real champagne that you can get in the US but not in the UK. Can you tell us what it is?

If you're interested in looking one more place for the champagne, give the guys at City Beverage Ltd a call - they carry almost exclusively small producers and often have various odds and ends from a pretty wide variety of houses.

http://www.citybeverage.co.uk/

Thanks folks. I agree--it is unlikely there is something here not available in London. I just don't want to spend our short time there looking for wine, so I hoped to find a place on-line. I'll check out foxie's lead.

Specifically, I'm looking for a champagne (yes, it is labeled champagne) imported to the US from Pomerey winery in Reims, France. It is branded as "P O P" and comes in mini bottles of 187 ml each. The cost here is approx $9 (7 GBP) each.

In a moment of "brain cramp" my first post said it was for my DH--well, I am the DH:o The bubbly is for my DW. Having a bottle in our stateroom before dinner has become a cruise tradition for her, and I'd like to continue it if I can.

Pop is available in the UK in standard,silver and UK flag forms.

It is the first Champagne to be specially blended to be drunk straight from the bottle or through a straw.It comes in 20cl blue glass bottles and was designed for nightclubs,so that people could stand around sipping from a straw.

It is not considered to be great Champagne,but if it is what you like to drink,then that's your choice.

Why not invest in a full bottle of good Champagne for your wife,go on, spoil her!!

Specifically, I'm looking for a champagne (yes, it is labeled champagne) imported to the US from Pomerey winery in Reims, France. It is branded as "P O P" and comes in mini bottles of 187 ml each. The cost here is approx $9 (7 GBP) each.

I take it all back, Grandpa, seen it on the web, pukka little 1/4 bottles of the real McCoy. :)

But about £8 a time (plus delivery, or a large free-delivery order) so not good value.

Can post the UK websites if you want, but the only over-the-counter I found was in Lincoln, totally unsuitable for you.

If you want to take the trouble you could contact the vineyard & ask for suitable UK customers tho they'll probably be wholesalers so it'll take a couple of e-mails to find a convenient retailer

JB

Pop is available in the UK in standard,silver and UK flag forms.

It is the first Champagne to be specially blended to be drunk straight from the bottle or through a straw.It comes in 20cl blue glass bottles and was designed for nightclubs,so that people could stand around sipping from a straw.

It is not considered to be great Champagne,but if it is what you like to drink,then that's your choice.

Why not invest in a full bottle of good Champagne for your wife,go on, spoil her!!

I take it all back, Grandpa, seen it on the web, pukka little 1/4 bottles of the real McCoy. :)

But about £8 a time (plus delivery, or a large free-delivery order) so not good value.

Can post the UK websites if you want, but the only over-the-counter I found was in Lincoln, totally unsuitable for you.

If you want to take the trouble you could contact the vineyard & ask for suitable UK customers tho they'll probably be wholesalers so it'll take a couple of e-mails to find a convenient retailer

JB

Thanks to all for your input. I am in contact with the vendor foxie recommended. They sent me an e-mail today saying they are working with the Pommery distributor and will get back to me. I am well aware that it may turn out they need a larger purchase than I am willing to make (not much more than 10 bottles,) but we'll see where it leads.

We live in an interesting world, don't we? I can't help thinking about how my admittedly insignificant "problem" is getting the help from people across the pond. I guess it serves as a harmless diversion from life's real challenges for all of us. :) Many thanks.

Isn't all champagne French?
In the EU yes - but in America, you can call any sparkly wine champagne if you want. http://www.protectplace.com/ad2/

http://www.geographictravels.com/2010/02/champagne-campaigns-for-champagne.html

Europe Acts Against American "Champagne"

European Union authorities took action recently against an illegal entry into their territory - American "Champagne." Customs authorities in Anvers, Belgium, acted swiftly when they discovered a shipment of more than 3,200 bottles of André sparkling wine that was labeled "California Champagne" from "André Champagne Cellars." That's a no-no in the EU, where the name Champagne is legally protected and can be used only for sparkling wine from the Champagne region in northern France.

http://dmwineline.*****.com/wineline/2008/01/europe-acts-aga.html

:D:D:D:D

Archived