Snorkeling for the 1st time ? Is it ok to do it on our own?

flyorange

Hello,

my family and I have never gone snorkeling before so we are thinking about trying it when we stop at GC on our cruise. I did some research and apparently Eden Rock is within walking distance from the tender and it's a spot for snorkeling. but since we've never go snorkeling before do you guys recommend just going over to Eden Rock Center and rent the equipment to do it on our own? or would you guys recommend going with a tour offered by the cruise line

thanks!

You should be fine doing it on your own if you can swim and are comfortable in the water. I would suggest renting life jackets. The reef is quite a ways from shore. You will see fish right as you enter the water though. I wouldn't rent equipment for everyone in the family right off. Rent a couple of sets and see how comfortable everyone is snorkeling. Snorklel close to shore while getting used to how to breathe. The people at Eden Rock Dive Center will help you if you need help as well as other customers if you ask. Most people are always willing to help. If you have children they could probably rent a set of snorkeling gear on the ship and practice in the ship pool prior to snorkeling in port. That way you would know if it is something they would want to do.

You could do what we did: We all bought snorkels and masks before the cruise and practiced in the backyard pool until we felt comfortable. That way we didn't have to waste time with the "learning curve" and just dove right into enjoying the fish!:D Then bring your own snorkel and mask with you on the cruise, and rent the life jacket if you need one. Have fun!

Yes definitely practice before you go. the first time after i learned to swim at 43 (luckily it was at disney and it was easy to get help out . then i came home and practiced in the backyard pool ,like sunluva7 said to do and i have been happily snorkeling ever since.

thank you everyone for your advice. i think we'll rent a couple first and see how comfortable everyone is before we get one for everyone in the family. so if we want to see the reef, it sounds like we have go out further from the shore? in that case, how do we get there? do i have to go with a tour then if we want to see the reef?

also, do you guys know if you can wear contacts with the snorkeling equipment ?

thanks!

at the risk of sounding like a broken record I'm going to recommend you consider walking about 1 mile down the road to Sunset House and here's my reasons why.

- the reef is similar profile in both these sites, Sunset and Eden, and you need to get a lil off shore to find the good reef. You will be in 20 feet of water or more, are you OK with this? From this perspective the two places are similar. (given the water depth and inexperience I'd recommend renting snorkel vests for safety .... most tours would provide these with the equipment and require their wear.)

- if you've NEVER snorkeled b4 then having a good safe place to try the equipment b4 you venture to the reef is a good idea. One way to ensure safety is to go on a tour where there will be people to give you a little lesson and then watch over you. OR, at Sunset House they have the sea pool, which is sort of a swimming pool cut into the shore line with an outlet to the reef. You can try out the equipment and get comfortable in this semi-protected area and then when ready veture out the opening to the reef. At Eden you really find yourself just 'jumping right in'.

http://sunsethouse.com/seapool.php

you most certainly can dive/snorkel with contacts ... spousal unit has done so for years. I'd check with my eye doctor to ensure my particular contacts are ok, as I recall diving with hard contacts was not recommended and use of disposables and tossing them after diving was recommended.

- AND, don't forget that water magnifies things so depending on your 'script maybe you don't even need them in the water.

- AND you might want to experiment with a mask cuz a good fit is even more important if your contacts have ANY tendency to pop out.

- check around for local dive shops (yellow pages) many have 'free exposure classes' and may be doing snorkeling classes too - they do this to sell equipment and lessons. Good deal for you as you can check out some equipment for free......

thanks! it sounds like it's prob better to go with a tour then if we want to see good reef and since we've never done it before. do you guys have a recommendation for a good snorkeling tour? (not really interested in the sting ray).

thanks!

Archived