What to do in Juneau after Harv and Marv

banderboo

I will be traveling with my parents who are active 70 year olds. This is our first trip to Alaska and I need suggestions of what to do in Juneau after we take a 9 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. Harv and Marv whale watching tour. We will be in port until 10:30 p.m. Unfortunately my parents aren't much help in the area of what they want to do. The only answer I got from my mom was that she wanted to see whales and my dad answer was whatever your mother wants. Gotta love traveling with your parents:D

So what do you suggest?

I will be traveling with my parents who are active 70 year olds. This is our first trip to Alaska and I need suggestions of what to do in Juneau after we take a 9 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. Harv and Marv whale watching tour. We will be in port until 10:30 p.m. Unfortunately my parents aren't much help in the area of what they want to do. The only answer I got from my mom was that she wanted to see whales and my dad answer was whatever your mother wants. Gotta love traveling with your parents:D

So what do you suggest?

If weather is not foggy. You can ride the Mount Roberts Tramway, a 6-minute ride to the 1,800 foot level of Mount Roberts. $27 pp. And because the tramway is located near where your cruise ship is, you can just walk to it. No extra transportation costs to deal with.

When you get to the top, you can try one of the many trails on Mount Roberts. If you like you can even hike all the way down. Other trails range in ability from a nature walk to a challenging and strenuous climb, there is even a trail that is handicap-accessible. Stop for a bite at the restaurant on the mountain, or visit the nature center.

Another inexpensive, yet must-see attraction is Mendenhall Glacier. The cruise line will charge you about $40.00 per person for this tour. However, If you want just a plain-vanilla bus ride to the Glacier so you can explore on your own, a roundtrip ticket is just $14 pp, with service running every 30 minutes.

After our Harv and Marv excursion, we went to see the Mendenhall Glacier and than did an incredible helicopter trip to walk on a glacier. You can see photos in our review on our website www.thepreismans.com. You will have a great time with Harv and Marv. There is just too much to do in Juneau. Have a great time.

Don't go back to town after your whale watching tour if you want to go to Mendenhall Glacier. Check with H&M: the past they would drop you off at Mendenhall where you can spend some time in the Visitor's Center and on the trails. After that, you can take the shuttle bus back to town--one way is $7 and you pay on the bus.

MVPinBoynton - was there a specific company you used for the helicopter ride or did you just book it once you got to the glacier?

We used Coastal Helicopters. We definitely booked it far in advance. I would not risk waiting till you got to the port before booking a helicopter. You wouldn't want to risk missing the chance to experience this most enjoyable adventure.

Take the bus to the Mendenhall Glacier. I think you get it at the Mt Roberts Tram but check. This is not the town's regular bus as it does not go to the glacier. I think it is called the blue buss.

There is a charge at the Glacier if you want to go into building to see the exhibits. No charge to go to the Glacier.

Archived