I Know People that have Contracted Norovirus and Still Boarded the Ship

MrPete

If you contracted the norovirus, and were to lose your money, would you still cruise?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. If you contracted the norovirus, and were to lose your money, would you still cruise?

• Yes
    • No

I really think the question the poll asks should probably be reworded a little differently, or at least give you more options.

All it asks, is if you are going to lose money, would you still go. There is no option for, if you had insurance, would you cancel. Obviously financial lose would make you think "even more" about not cancelling. Not to say this is right (see my previous post, please) but I could see where, if I were to lose thousands of dollars, I might be in a much different situation.

Obviously, the real question is, "Would you cancel your cruise if you discovered you had the Norwalk virus and you had also prepurchased cruise insurance which would cover you from any financial loss?

To an extent, I agree with the proposed solution. I agree with the idea, however, all that a cruiser would have to do to get a refund would be to go to a doctor presenting with "I have been going ---- and vomiting for the last day, i can't keep any food down" and the doctor would provide him/her with a letter saying that this person has GI symptoms, the main symptom of the norovirus. This person would then be able to get a refund.

I think a credit that would have to be used within 1 year would be much more realistic financially for RCCL. Otherwise I think a lot of people who wern't really sick would be going in to the doctor just to get the refund if they do not want to go on the cruise. This way if they do not get their money back, only the truely sick would go in, and still not lose anything.

I honestly would say that if I were feeling ill, I would go to on the trip instead of losing thousands of dollars that I paid for the trip, airfare, etc etc. But, If I had the option of rescheduling the trip instead of going Ill without losing money, I would do that instead.

Just my two cents.

Scott

I agree with the previous post except for the time in which to use the credit. Many people only have a single opportunity to take a cruise in a given calendar year, so I think 14 months or so a would be more appropriate rebooking window.

My husband and son contracted what certainly seems like Norwalk virus this past December. They were so suddenly and so violently ill that I would have been convinced that it was food poisoning had we not visited a person with identical symptoms in the hospital 48 hours prior to their becoming ill. Since food poisoning isn't contagious, we all eat the same food and I didn't become ill, it was obviously a virus. In the midst of this illness, there would have been absolutely no way to travel. I virtually had to hose down the entire bathroom including the shower curtain by the time they were through. If we had been scheduled for a cruise at that time, insurance or not (we always buy insurance, BTW) we simply could not have traveled. Nonetheless, with less acute symptoms, merely feeling a bit under the weather, able - albeit uncomfortably - to proceed on a trip, I honestly don't know how we would react. Has anyone on this board who has responded that they absolutely would not risk their fellow passengers (regardless of whether or not you had insurance) actually foregone a cruise under these circumstancess somewhat more ambiguous circumstances?

I'm just curious because it always seems easier to project a noble response to some potential circumstance than to actually carry one out when faced with the immediate reality. This intends no disrespect, it is just an observation about human nature - certainly mine, anyway.

I just don't get it. If you're barfing, and have all the symptoms of pooping your brains out, why in the world would you want to get on a cruise ship? Dah, you're sick!!

People on this website preach and preach about cruise insurance, and for good reason. I really feel that the cruiseline shouldn't offer special opt-out insurance for this problem. We're supposed to all be adults here. If you're sick, you stay home. Period. You've bought the insurance, so the worst that happens is you don't get to go on your vacation, and you have to plan another one.

Allowing yourselves to think that you'll get better; thinking that it won't affect anyone else is just plain selfish. Be good to your fellow passengers and do the "right thing", not the "wrong thing".

Even if you purchase insurance you lose $250.00 pp.

And yes like i said before i would go even if i am sick. I would be sick for 2-3 days and after that I could enjoy the rest of my cruise.

There's no way in the world I would let RCI keep all my money.

Yes, IF i knew that I had Noro, I would stay home. After all, I'd need to be no more than 10 feet from a toilet!

BUT, no one has commented on the abysmal behaviour of the nurses and doctors who are clearly instructed to minimize or conceal the actual problem. The powers that be do not want the ship to go through VSP. Therefore, they are willing to risk infecting everyone else on that sailing and on the next, because unless the problem is recognized, none of the very stringent sanitation protocols will be used. After becoming ill on two ships, and reading the various information on the web, I now would never call a doctor unless I was near death, or had a compound fracture. If in a country whose doctors I trusted, I'd wait until I got home. Meantime, I'd stay in my cabin and look after myself.

Kami's Pal,

Think I posted my answer on another Norwalk thread here... if not I'll comment again.

I, like you, had experienced the wrath of "N" on both Celebrity and RCCL (this past Dec. w/RCCL). After the horrible medical treatment and service I received on Celebrity with a foreign doctor (didn't even realize she was the MD until after I was released 2 days later). They DID minimize the number of cases that were affected on this cruise so they "fell under" the CDC watchful eye. Luckily I was the only one affected then and my husband was in charge of the kids. We didn't get off the ship in St Lucia (which we love) and he barely made it off the ship in Barbados for a few hours, leaving me onboard to recouperate. I had been treated w/2 bags of ringers in an IV, shots and they also gave me double dose of bactrim DS "just in case"... don't know if that was correct since Norwalk is a viris and wouldn't respond to antibiotics. I later (on this cruise) developed cellulitis which I returned to the MD to check out, she labeled it a fungus and let me go w/meds. It got worse and luckily I got to my MD as soon as I got home to be treated and luckily DID NOT end up in the hospital. This cruise when my daughter fell ill, after my son, we tried to get treatment on board (since we was on high antibiotics to treat pneumonia that she had for several weeks prior to cruise) and was turned away. Told just to take the "seasick pills" that they dispense at Guest Relations, seems like the nurse didn't want to bother herself to open up the medical office or disturb the doctor on New Years Eve (and this was after Libby was ill for a full day prior). We did have ins. and we just waited until Grand Cayman and made a call to the pediatrician to verify some things we should do "to handle the situation" since I highly doubt the md on board was trained in pediatrics.

Carolyn

As far as insurance, I see a lot of you say you have insurance, but according to my policy, the "illness" means an emergency sickness, impairment or physical condition that involves patient care in a hospital, or requires emergency treatment by a physicain. It also says under "cancellation" that an actual examination by a physician must take place BEFORE the trip can be cancelled. With any kind of virus, this is not usually an option. They come on quickly. I got sick last year flying home from Las Vegas. I was fine when I left, but while we were stopped in Cincinatti, I got sick as a dog. With many passengers, they may feel fine when the board the ship and become sick later. Virus' don't just occur on the ships either, as others have said. They are usually going around in your home town the same time they are on the ship. Any of us can get them at any time. If I got sick on the ship. I would stay away from people, not touch things, etc.

So, as to why many say they would go sick, in the poll, it's most likely because they would not get their money back if they stayed off, and even if they're sick a few days, that's probably better to them than paying for the entire trip and missing all of it with no compensation. That's my guess.

So, as to why many say they would go sick, in the poll, it's most likely because they would not get their money back if they stayed off, and even if they're sick a few days, that's probably better to them than paying for the entire trip and missing all of it with no compensation. That's my guess.

This is all I have been trying to say about RCI. :D

The thing is unless you get blood work and stool samples and the such done, there is no way you can be certain that you have Norovirus.

If I were able to get on a plane and able to make it to the pier and on the ship, I would go on the cruise BUT do it smartly. I wouldn't use public restrooms, I would keep myself in my room and order room service until I was feeling better.

The thing is unless you get blood work and stool samples and the such done, there is no way you can be certain that you have Norovirus.

If I were able to get on a plane and able to make it to the pier and on the ship, I would go on the cruise BUT do it smartly. I wouldn't use public restrooms, I would keep myself in my room and order room service until I was feeling better.

Amen brother...

Don't think it shows up in the bloodwork...

believe you need a stool sample.

Thats why D. Fornier at CDC said he couldn't say I "definitely" had it 2 yrs ago on Celebrity... They DID do blood workup but I believe he said it wouldn't show up there.

Carolyn

As far as insurance goes, I've asked CSA what "their policy is" regarding cancellation and doctors...

they "claim" (though I haven't tried to use) that if, in the MD's opinion the patient is unable to travel, than that's all that's needed. If I DID have the symptoms I'd contact my physician immediately and follow up w/office visit when possible, plus also notifying the insurance co.

Carolyn

After all it is always the cruiseline's responsibiblity to stop it!

This virus requires that infected individuals be isolated for a certain period of time (even after the symptoms are gone). From my own observations (in witnessing newsworthy outbreaks twice in the past 2 years), people do not listen to instructions. People want to enjoy the vacation that they've paid for and are more willing to risk infecting others vs. isolating themselves as instructed. Unless we are ok with cruiselines physically locking people in their cabins (or throwing passengers overboard), I don't see how we can say that it is always the cruislines responsibility to stop the spread of this virus to other passengers. (Cruiselines could possibly issue "bubbles" for everyone to walk around in. Although this would be a fun sight to see... I doubt that it's very practical or likely).

And yes like i said before i would go even if i am sick. I would be sick for 2-3 days and after that I could enjoy the rest of my cruise.

Well if you went knowingly having Noro then you should be accountable to anyone you infected and that includes financially.You don't have a right to ruin other peoples vacations.

Has anyone on this board who has responded that they absolutely would not risk their fellow passengers (regardless of whether or not you had insurance) actually foregone a cruise under these circumstancess somewhat more ambiguous circumstances?

I have never been sick before a cruise but when my daughter was young we lost quite a bit of money on a Disney vacation.We didn't go because she had picked up a nasty worm,I think it may have been pin worm at school and it could easily be caught by others.Noone would have known.There were no symptoms visible to others but she could have spread it to a lot of people.

There is a way to get a credit.It's called insurance.There are a lot of different policies available!!!!!

I wouldn't risk it. But I must admit, I just got off the Mariner, and before last week, I would have said yes.

Not sure how true this is but, last week, I was sitting in the Loyalty Ambassadors office with a group of people and we were discussing the fact that we were still in a code red alert for noro virus. One lady says she knows a woman that knew she was sick and came on the trip anyway because she didn't have insurance. This woman supposedly came on board and Clorax'ed her room. Needless to say it didn't work. Now there was a man that was on the ship during the 1st. outbreak on the 16th. he got it, and got it again last week. Should he have left after the first week, or stayed on for his back 2 back?

Just a question, in case anybody on this board knows the answer. Is Norovirus something you can just keep getting, or is it like the usual flu virus where once you get it you have some immunity built up for a period of time? Everybody in my house has come down with both the repiratory flu and the intestinal virus already in the past two months. Severe cases for both. Do we have any residual protection when we cruise in February?

Guest OBAYbee

"Actually, the name is Norwalk-like viruses. So there's a group of viruses called Norwalk-like viruses. And the reason they're called Norwalk-like viruses is because within that group there's one prototype, the original strain, which is officially Norwalk virus. So Norwalk virus has many very similar viruses related to it, and the whole group of viruses which included the Norwalk virus, are called Norwalk-like viruses." CDC

http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/transcripts/t021127.htm

As far as insurance goes, I've asked CSA what "their policy is" regarding cancellation and doctors...

they "claim" (though I haven't tried to use) that if, in the MD's opinion the patient is unable to travel, than that's all that's needed. If I DID have the symptoms I'd contact my physician immediately and follow up w/office visit when possible, plus also notifying the insurance co.

Carolyn

In this case who is "they"? Is it there customer service? I am sure the policy says what standard they have as to what they accept. I do think they accept the doctors word however they do require more than "can't travel" They want the specific diagnosis and reason. Flu, Novo virus etc may or may not be enough...

Ptarbay- I have never heard of a case where a passenger has been held financially liable for starting a disease spreading. Not only would the proving it be difficult, but I don't think your homeowners insurance would cover it, and collecting on it from most passengers wouldn't be feasible-that is why people sue people with deep pockets like cruise lines. While there have been some cases where people have been held liable for transmitting sexually transmitted diseases, most have ccurred against a. people who INTENTIALLY transmitted the disease and b. professionals who violated a duty of care and HAD lots of insurance(I am thinking of the case of the dentist in Florida(?) who intentional gave some patients HIV).

I'm presently in a "difficult position"

We're supposed to sail on Visions Feb. 20. My daughter is still not "recovered" from whatever she got on Brilliance over New Years (at that time we couldn't get the nurse to page the MD.. she refused). Well I'm in the process of getting bloodworkup on Libby as well as stool samples (sorry for the details) to find out exactly what's going on. It has taken its toll on her since she was on the recovery from pneumonia when she got striken on the cruise. I was appalled that we couldn't get the ships MD to see her that evening (very willing to pay whatever was necessary for having an after hours appt). Hopefully we'll have some answers. Right now her MD isn't too keen on having her go on another cruise until she's been better for several months. Also going to Mexico isn't a good idea either. We have cancellation ins. I tried contacting RCCL to convey my horror story of not being able to get the ship's MD to see my child. Also to say that I can't truly get on one of their ships at the present time with how things were handled January.This isn't saying that we won't sail w/them (I am in process of booking something for the Holiday season. I just wonder how I'll be able to use the insurance. RCCL asks me if I purchased their ins. from Berkely.. I state "of course not 'cause if I did whatever my daughter had would be considered pre-existing and we won't be covered for anything and all we'd have left would be a 75% shipboard credit and taking a 25% hit and the extra premium charge. Also if we did go on the cruise I found their insurance to be stacked against our needs (since we usually use frequent flier miles).Hopefully we'll know what's wrong with Libby before we hit the 7 days or less countdown so at least the insurance company won't be out the 100% since right now it's too soon to put in a claim.

smeyer,

I was only speaking about someone who INTENTIONALLY came aboard with noro knowing he would spread it.The people I am speaking about stated they would and also stated they think RCI should be financially responsible.

Also if we did go on the cruise I found their insurance to be stacked against our needs (since we usually use frequent flier miles).Hopefully we'll know what's wrong with Libby before we hit the 7 days or less countdown so at least the insurance company won't be out the 100% since right now it's too soon to put in a claim.

This is a case of good parenting in my humble opinion. Which is more important, your money or your daughter and family well being. I would spend more time on family well being than on the money issue.

My wife has come down with Norwalk the last day of our first cruise and we have done three since with no problems. She didn't share it with me until we returned home. (thank you for sharing dear) I can tell you that neither of us enjoyed the experience.

Why go on a cruise if your sick and have a rotten time just to save money. I am sure that if you called your doctor and explained he would give you what ever cover letter you needed for the travel ins. (or you get a new doctor)

I will make you all a deal, if I am sick or think I have something that will spoil both yours and my cruise I will stay home. I would hope that all of you would do the same. Life is hard enough without catching something from a person that acted out of a selfserving greed motive.

I couldn't say for certain, but if I WOULD lose all money, I probably would go ahead an board, and basically confine myself to the cabin until it's past. If I had insurance that would cover the loss, I'd stay home.

Tough call

-Monte

Archived