I Know People that have Contracted Norovirus and Still Boarded the Ship

MrPete

If you contracted the norovirus, and were to lose your money, would you still cruise?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. If you contracted the norovirus, and were to lose your money, would you still cruise?

• Yes
    • No

The other problem is (was) that while we were on Brilliance I couldn't get my daughter seen by MD... now I'm getting blood work AND "samples" (3 days worth, you get my drift for assorted "possibilities). It was bad enough that she lost out on school days before cruise, it was bad that we lost out days in cabin while we were sick (but "that's life")... it shouldn't have been our problem that we couldn't get her medical attention when we needed (and would have paid anything they asked... including the after hours surcharge) to have her checked out. I'd feel uncomfortable now to board since she's still not 100% well (I'd be happy w/70%) and since shipboard medical help is contracted out RCCL has no qualms passing the buck for the lack of attention, nor will they guarantee that it won't happen again. With 2 strikes against the MD community on board RCCL/X ship I'm not taking a 3rd chance so soon now.. I'll wait at least 6 months. (had a major problem w/foreign MD on Summit 2 years ago.... though 2 years prior had a WONDERFUL MD on Galaxy... <and he was a Greek "looker" too.. DH wasn't too thrilled with that comment afterwards lol>).

Good luck everyone w/staying healthy both on land and seas.

Carolyn

Without going through all the posts on this thread, this is one good reason for getting vacation insurance. I'd hate to think that I was partially responsible for infecting the ship by boarding with a virus like that.

Stretch

I'm just "praying" that the insurance will be in effect for us.

My daughter is still "under the weather" ( to be polite) and hasn't been the same since we got back from Brilliance in January. I've been taking her to MD (she still has slightly elevated fever and somewhat severe abdominal pains) since we returned. On Brilliance she WAS stricken with something. We're running all different "tests" blood and other on her. Hopefully we'll have some answers by Friday since we go into "total penalty" on Sunday. Her pediatrician is dead set AGAINST her A) getting on a ship where she may not get attention from onboard MD not trained in pediatrics and B) her going to Mexico. I get absolutely NO help from RCCL, even to just register my disatisfaction about Libby not getting to be seen by MD.

We shall see, but as I said earlier... we ALWAYS get cancellation insurance... now I hope that the MDs opinion is honored.. (esp. since we ARE subjecting Libby to some uncomfortable testing).

Carolyn

I work at a front desk in a hotel and deal with that every day. People who are sick or have sniveling children who are sick and come heck or high water they come on vacation anyway. I find them extreamly discourtious of those around them. I feel if you are sick STAY HOME!!!

I am posting this under a different screen name than the one I usually use because I know it's going to be an unpopular opinion.

I would not cancel my cruise if I were to lose my money. Further I would not cancel my cruise even if I were to be given a full refund. It is just too difficult to coordinate vacation schedules among family members to cancel at the last minute.

But to take it one step further, I also would not confine myself to my cabin or vary my activities once onboard. I have had norovirus before (confirmed by lab tests) and it just wasn't bad enough for my to alter my daily routine or confine myself. I know norovirus varies in severity from person to person and from instance to instance, but if I had a mild case and felt well enough to be up and around the ship, then I would be. It would be different if we were talking about a deadly disease, but we're not.

Like I said, I know this isn't a popular opinion, but an honest one.

Just "be careful" on what insurance you get.

I'm getting lectures from RCCL about why I didn't get "their" insurance, after I tell them of our experience on Brilliance (where I couldn't get treatment for daughter). There's has a bunch of "pre-existing" conditions and if we did buy it for our Visions cruise (on 2/20) we would definitely be out 25% of the cruise price and could only a cruise credit on the rest. Luckily we got CSA since we are waiting for bloodworkup and won't get definite answers before a week from this Friday at the earliest (samples need to be sent out to lab). I wouldn't risk my daughter's health if I'm not 100 positive she'd be able to get care onboard.

I am posting this under a different screen name than the one I usually use because I know it's going to be an unpopular opinion.

I would not cancel my cruise if I were to lose my money. Further I would not cancel my cruise even if I were to be given a full refund. It is just too difficult to coordinate vacation schedules among family members to cancel at the last minute.

But to take it one step further, I also would not confine myself to my cabin or vary my activities once onboard. I have had norovirus before (confirmed by lab tests) and it just wasn't bad enough for my to alter my daily routine or confine myself. I know norovirus varies in severity from person to person and from instance to instance, but if I had a mild case and felt well enough to be up and around the ship, then I would be. It would be different if we were talking about a deadly disease, but we're not.

The primary problem I see with your "opinion" is that first you acknowledge that it varies in severity and then you go on to say that it's not a "deadly disease." Now, for the most part this is true, but you are knowingly exposing others who, for all you know, will in fact find it to be far more severe than you. How do you know it's not "deadly"? Small children don't have fully developed immune systems, older people often have somewhat weaker immune systems, people with chronic conditions usually have some immune system issues. And don't say "well, they should just stay home if they are so concerned." No, you should. But then again if you are so, well, cowardly as to hide behind a new name for this post, I guess you are inconsiderate regarding the welfare of others.

Yes, you should be ashamed.

beachchick

Even with a mild case, you'd be still be very contagious. I'm sure your "honest" (and very selfish) opinion is shared by many. How do people expect RCI to contain these illnesses when these types of individuals who knowingly put their fellow passengers at risk are continuing to walk the ships, mingle with other passengers, use elevators and staircases, and get in the buffet line? We shouldn't ask why RCI can't control these outbreaks, we should be asking why they aren't worse. Seems that RCI (as well as other cruise lines) is fighting a losing battle. No matter what they do, even one passenger like the one above will go on to infect someone else, who will go on to infect someone else, etc.

You obviously know how wrong this is or you wouldn't be such a coward about voicing your own opinion.

You couldn't be a better example of why these outbreaks happen.By all means don't inconvenience yourself even if it means giving other people an illness and ruining their vacation.Your scheduling problems are so much more important than other peoples health.

This is the absolute most selfish statement I have ever read on these boards.At least everyone else who said they would go would confine themselves to their cabin while they were sick.No,this is not a deadly disease but can be pretty bad.It can literally affect hundreds of people because of one incredibly selfish person such as yourself.Even with a full refund you would go and not just go but do anything you want with no regard to anyone.I'm sure you would be happily enjoying yourself at the pool while saving 6 chairs with your towel as you were in the Windjammer hogging a table.You are probably the first to complain when anything isn't exactly the way you want it or complaining about someone ruining your vacation by the way they are dressed as you are possibly infecting them.After all it is YOUR vacation and you paid for it so you should have a right to do whatever you want.The other people onboard don't matter.You're on vacation,why bother with things such as decency,honesty,manners and common courtesy?

No,it isn't really honest at all.You broke the board rules to use a second screen name because you aren't honest enough to use your real one.You would hide an illness such as noro and willingly infect others so you wouldn't miss out on anything and board even with a full refund.Explain the honest part of that!!!

The primary problem I see with your "opinion" is that first you acknowledge that it varies in severity and then you go on to say that it's not a "deadly disease." Now, for the most part this is true, but you are knowingly exposing others who, for all you know, will in fact find it to be far more severe than you. How do you know it's not "deadly"? Small children don't have fully developed immune systems, older people often have somewhat weaker immune systems, people with chronic conditions usually have some immune system issues. And don't say "well, they should just stay home if they are so concerned." No, you should. But then again if you are so, well, cowardly as to hide behind a new name for this post, I guess you are inconsiderate regarding the welfare of others.

Yes, you should be ashamed.

beachchick

Hey beachchick, what the problem is? :eek: She/he's honest.

You obviously know how wrong this is or you wouldn't be such a coward about voicing your own opinion.

You couldn't be a better example of why these outbreaks happen.By all means don't inconvenience yourself even if it means giving other people an illness and ruining their vacation.Your scheduling problems are so much more important than other peoples health.

This is the absolute most selfish statement I have ever read on these boards.At least everyone else who said they would go would confine themselves to their cabin while they were sick.No,this is not a deadly disease but can be pretty bad.It can literally affect hundreds of people because of one incredibly selfish person such as yourself.Even with a full refund you would go and not just go but do anything you want with no regard to anyone.I'm sure you would be happily enjoying yourself at the pool while saving 6 chairs with your towel as you were in the Windjammer hogging a table.You are probably the first to complain when anything isn't exactly the way you want it or complaining about someone ruining your vacation by the way they are dressed as you are possibly infecting them.After all it is YOUR vacation and you paid for it so you should have a right to do whatever you want.The other people onboard don't matter.You're on vacation,why bother with things such as decency,honesty,manners and common courtesy?

No,it isn't really honest at all.You broke the board rules to use a second screen name because you aren't honest enough to use your real one.You would hide an illness such as noro and willingly infect others so you wouldn't miss out on anything and board even with a full refund.Explain the honest part of that!!!

Oh give it a break please. I agree with the anonymous person. If I LOSE all my money i will go on the cruise even if i am on a strecher. With that said I hope you have a great day.

Somebody close this thread.....It's getting old even for me....

Oh give it a break please. I agree with the anonymous person. If I LOSE all my money i will go on the cruise even if i am on a strecher. With that said I hope you have a great day.

They said they would go even if they received a full refund and not confine themselves at all.If you agree with that then you have the same values they do.

Hey beachchick, what the problem is? She/he's honest.

What is wrong with that?I guess you feel if you post a so called "honest"opinion,under a false name also it's ok to do whatever you feel.

Somebody close this thread.....It's getting old even for me....

If it's getting too old even for you maybe you are the one who needs to give it a break.You didn't seem to mind it when the comments went your way.

You also have a nice day!

I would take the cruise without hesitation. Are you guys serious? Why would i want to lose all my money. However if RCI would offer me another cruise at a later date i would take it.

Go ahead and flame on but keep in mind i was honest about my reply.

You were honest and I appreciate that, but this is why I always get travel insurance...it covers MUCh more than Norovirus!! I ended up with stitches in my forehead 2 days before a vacation...the travel insurance allowed me to switch my plans by a week with only $40 out of my picket to accommodate the change in plane tickets...

What's the problem? The problem is that this so-called honest, and yet cowardly, poster has basic disregard for the health, welfare, and safety of others. This poster would knowingly expose every other person on the ship to an illness that can be very serious indeed. If a person drives while drunk and causes injury or death, we hold that person legally responsible. Too bad that in this case we can only hold someone morally and ethically responsible. Amazing what some people think is acceptable behavior.

beachchick

What's the problem? The problem is that this so-called honest, and yet cowardly, poster has basic disregard for the health, welfare, and safety of others. This poster would knowingly expose every other person on the ship to an illness that can be very serious indeed. If a person drives while drunk and causes injury or death, we hold that person legally responsible. Too bad that in this case we can only hold someone morally and ethically responsible. Amazing what some people think is acceptable behavior.

beachchick

I support everything you have said about this subject. Any person who is so ashamed of their position that they have to hide from it deserves no respect or support from the rest of us. It is this cowardly thinking that allows terriorest to survive in the world and that is what they are doing. They are performing an act of terrorism by putting the health of hundreds in harms way.

I have conjestive heart failure and still travel. To get this virus on a curise could put me in a hospital or cause my death.

So all of you greedy cheap skates buy insurance and use it if needed or suffer from the curse I have put on you.

P.S. This person or other like "IT" are not invited to my house for dinner.

This is an easy one for me to answer and this is honest.

There is no way I'd make it to the ship if I HAD that freakin' virus. :eek: I've had it many times before...used to get it about twice a year as a child. I literally was tossing my cookies every 15 to 20 minutes for 24 to 48 hours straight, and then feeling like a dish rag for days after the worst of it had passed. I recall wishing that I were dead every time I had it.

There is no way I'd be able to get on a plane to make it to port...or even drive to a port to get onto the ship in the first place...so, because I now always buy insurance when I cruise, I would definitely use it and cancel. I'm SURE the cruiseline would be thrilled to have me rebook at a later date, and I'd rather spend thousands of dollars on a cruise I would enjoy and be healthy for....but that's just me.

Just my 2 cents. We were on a land vacation this past Christmas in the Dominican and there was confirmed Norwalk present. Most of the hotel got the illness, my family included. The hotel chain was aware of the illness in late October and did not shut down to clean the joint. The tour operators kept selling the property and yes hundred if not thousands have become ill over the past 3 or so months. Yes I know that illness can happen at any time but our beef was that they WERE aware of this and did nothing to prevent their valued customers from becoming very, very ill. We have been offered compensation in the form of a "free" vacation including flights and taxes to any of their hotels. I wish they had shut down earlier but at least they are doing the right thing now. If it were me, I would never get on a ship if anyone in my family were sick.

You were honest and I appreciate that, but this is why I always get travel insurance...it covers MUCh more than Norovirus!! I ended up with stitches in my forehead 2 days before a vacation...the travel insurance allowed me to switch my plans by a week with only $40 out of my picket to accommodate the change in plane tickets...

Good for you....:eek:

People that have the flu still get on airplanes so I can understand why sick people get on ships. They have already been stricken with the bug and I think the last thing they care about is getting other people sick. They are just hoping to get well and salvage some of their vacation.They have nothing to lose. I don't think anyone would cancel their travel plans unless they were gravely ill.

Please remember that you are contagious before you are even symptomatic, in some cases. And, realistically, what should someone do who is traveling on business, for a funeral or whatever, who is under the weather but still easily ambulatory whose hotel reservation has ended, whose flight is returning home, who has important business/child care issues in their home city, etc.? Do we really expect that person to extend their stay, possibly having to find another hotel room, change the flight when none might be available, leave their children unattended, etc., just to be sure that if anyone happens to become infected with anything, they'll have the comfort of knowing that at least they aren't responsible? No offense, but this seems beyond unrealistic to me. It's one thing to complain about people not risking vacations on cruise ships. It's quite another to extend this to the entire airline industry. And since many, if not most, of us fly to our departure point, that is what we would have to do.

And, while we're on the subject of the ships, I would assume that sick crew members remain on board, and there is a limit to how effective any kind of quarantine can be. Somehow they have to get food, crew members generally share their rooms with other crew members, etc. It's not like there is some kind of negative air pressure chamber they can herd all the sick people into to prevent contamination of the ship.

I really think that this is getting carried to a bit of an extreme. Unfortunately, flu season is called flu season for a reason. If I were a person with a compromised immune system, I would avoid, as much as possible, mass transit, large public gatherings, etc. during this part of the year. The operative expression being "as much as possible". But life really does go on. The last thing anyone can do is assume that someone else is going to worry about their particular health concerns. Norovirus is very nasty, but not generally dangerous. We're starting to talk about it likes it's bubonic plague or something. And while it is highly contagious, not everyone who comes in contact with it will catch it. If that were not the case, the ships returning with 200 sick passengers out of 4000 would be coming home with thousands of ill people.

I'm sure I'll get toasted by some people for this post, but I'm just trying to be realistic.

Archived