How NCL treated us during the Icelandic volcano eruption

lizboyle

We were on the April 9th sailing on the Jade from Barcelona, during which the Icelandic volcano decided to blow it's top! We were due to leave the ship and fly back to Scotland via London Heathrow on Sunday April 18th. As you can imagine, we were extremely concerned as all flights in and out of the UK were grounded.

I hastily made my way to guest services only to see a massive line up of other worried guests. They had a girl from GS go along the line asking what your query was. When I informed her that I was worried about getting home, she informed me that as I had made my flight arrangement thru NCL they would be looking at acccomodating me in a hotel in Barcelona.

True to her word, a letter arrived in our stateroom the last night informing us we would be going by coach to a hotel 20 mins outside Barcelona. The hotel was four star and very modern and clean. NCL paid for the first night and then we had to pay for subsequent nights after that. An NCL rep visited our hotel next day and gave us all the information we required. We had another visit from the rep on the Tuesday to update us on flights they had re-arranged for us for the following Thursday ( These were the 1st available flights) As the UK re-opened the air space Wednesday evening we were all set to go home and taken by coach from our hotel on Thursday to the airport for our return flights.

I think the service we received from NCL was OUTSTANDING. I know there is a lot of negative press about the way some people have been treated by travel companies during this disruption, but NCL certainly went way beyond anything I expected. We made the most of the 4 day delay and enjoyed Barcelona to the full. Thank you and Bravo to NCL for such wonderful service!

That's great news. I think it's a good to keep in mind that when you book everything through NCL, this is how it is taken care of. I never book air or anything else through the cruise line and so it's my responsibility when something like this happens. It does make me rethink it, though. Glad to hear everything worked out for you. :)

It's good to read something positive for a change about that air situation. Thanks for letting us know.

It also makes me glad that I booked our air through NCL for our Northern Europe cruise in September. I think the Iceland volcano has settled down, but there's no guarantee.

I can understand why you feel NCL did everything they could, because you were taken to good accomodation and then transferred for the new flight etc. However, if I am reading the post correctly, they did not cover the cost of accomodation after the first night which means you had to cover three nights yourself. Personally I would not accept that, as european law entitles you to free accomodation until the first available flight offered to you.

I can understand why you feel NCL did everything they could, because you were taken to good accomodation and then transferred for the new flight etc. However, if I am reading the post correctly, they did not cover the cost of accomodation after the first night which means you had to cover three nights yourself. Personally I would not accept that, as european law entitles you to free accomodation until the first available flight offered to you.

NCL had no obligation to us at all. It is British Airways who have to recompense me for my hotel bills. As far as I am concerned NCL did a great job and I have nothing but praise for them.

NCL had no obligation to us at all. It is British Airways who have to recompense me for my hotel bills. As far as I am concerned NCL did a great job and I have nothing but praise for them.

OK, sorry I thought you had the responsibility for hotel bills.

but while I admit that NCL treated you better than stories we have heard from other passengers, may I remind you that under the EU Package Travel Directive NCL had the obligation to provide your hotel accommodations, meals, telephone calls, transportation to and from the hotel, etc., during every single night until they could arrange for you to go home, AND NOT JUST THE FIRST NIGHT.

If I were you I would save your receipts and invoices, and make a claim through your travel agency or the European office of NCL. They know the laws and you will eventually be reimbursed.

I am glad to see that NCL helped out on this occasion, but they still violated the law by only paying for one night.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Yes, under the EU Airline Passenger Rights directive, British Airways must pay for your accommodations, meals, surface transportation, etc.. In fact, on their website, they admit this and they have provided a line of communication for passengers to submit their hotel bills and expenses.

However, under the EU Package Travel Directive, if you booked an air/sea package with NCL or your travel agency, then NCL is the legal "organizer" according to this directive and therefore are responsible for getting you home, and for paying for all of your accommodations, meals, and surface transportation in the interim. If you booked a complete air/sea package, NCL evaded its legal responsibilities by only paying for one night. If you booked cruise only and air separately with British Airways, but NCL still put you up for one night on their account as a courtesy while flights were being arranged, then they did act responsibly and properly, and this was a nice gesture on their part.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

We did ask NCL about this and they would only pay for the 1st night. I contacted BA and my travel insurance company and was assured I would be covered by BA and the insurance for delayed departure. It was so so manic in Barcelona with not one hotel room to be had for love nor money. I was just so pleased that NCL went to the trouble of organizing everything - which in my mind must have been a logistical nightmare. We arrived home safe and sound and will not be out of pocket. A good deal to me.

Because I now see in your post that you did make your arrangements with NCL, then NCL indeed broke the law by only accommodating you for one night.

As the "organizer" of your air/sea package under the EU Package Travel Directive, they were responsible for getting you home, and for your hotel, surface transportation, meals, telephone, etc. until the very moment they could do so -- not just one night.

I would file the claim with NCL first (or simultaneously with British Airways). Since NCL was the "organizer" in control of the situation (they re-booked you, not your direct contact with British Airways, I believe), British Airways may come back and try to say that they could have gotten you home earlier.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

....that is the main concern, and that you arrived safe and sound.

I still don't think NCL did you any favor, as they did in fact break the law -- and another passenger who didn't have travel insurance or who otherwise might have been subject to different circumstances would have been seriously inconvenienced by NCL breaking the law.

The cruiselines know very well what the laws are. So far the only story I have read on cruisecritic where a cruiseline actually did everything required of it is on the Silversea board under the volcanic ash thread.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

We did ask NCL about this and they would only pay for the 1st night. I contacted BA and my travel insurance company and was assured I would be covered by BA and the insurance for delayed departure. It was so so manic in Barcelona with not one hotel room to be had for love nor money. I was just so pleased that NCL went to the trouble of organizing everything - which in my mind must have been a logistical nightmare. We arrived home safe and sound and will not be out of pocket. A good deal to me.

I cannot begin to imagine how manic this would have been, and delighted that a fellow Scot had everything organised by NCL. The "who claims from whom" scenario can be sorted out later, but it must have been such a relief to be transported to a hotel with minimal fuss.

....that is the main concern, and that you arrived safe and sound.

I still don't think NCL did you any favor, as they did in fact break the law -- and another passenger who didn't have travel insurance or who otherwise might have been subject to different circumstances would have been seriously inconvenienced by NCL breaking the law.

The cruiselines know very well what the laws are. So far the only story I have read on cruisecritic where a cruiseline actually did everything required of it is on the Silversea board under the volcanic ash thread.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

How exactly was NCL breaking the law. NCL delivered the passenger to their final destination in accordance with the cruise contract. It was up to the airline to deliver them on the final leg of their holiday?? :confused:

PE

NCL broke the law by only agreeing to pay for one night hotel accommodation when legally they were responsible for paying for all hotel accommodations, meals, telephone calls, surface transportation, etc. until the passenger is placed on a flight home.

The fact that there is also liability or means of recourse against the airline due to the EU Airline Passenger Rights directive is secondary, because primary liability in this case lies with NCL under the EU Package Travel Directive.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I just want to add my praise for NCL to Lizboyle's. We were on the same cruise and found ourself in the same situation. NCL were brilliant, they took the worry out of a potentially awful situation. When you see so many people wandering the streets of Barcelona with their suitcases, I for one don't care who is going to pay the bill, I was just happy to feel that we were being looked after and all our arrangements were being taken care of. We were brought back to the UK as soon as possible and kept up to date throughout our stay in Barcelona.

SO happy with NCL :)

Archived