Pace of service in open dining

RoupMom

Though I've seen numerous threads about the open dining, I have a question I haven't seen addressed. One of the things I enjoy about cruising is the leisurely dining service in the MDR. However, in June we're taking our family, including grandsons age 4 and 6, to Alaska. These are active, though very polite, boys who enjoy eating a variety of foods and trying new things. We are thinking to eat mostly in the Lido, but then I started wondering. With open dining, are the waiters able to serve the courses in a quicker pace, and the dinner would last less time? That would be good with our boys.

Thanks in advance for whatever info you can provide.

Though I've seen numerous threads about the open dining, I have a question I haven't seen addressed. One of the things I enjoy about cruising is the leisurely dining service in the MDR. However, in June we're taking our family, including grandsons age 4 and 6, to Alaska. These are active, though very polite, boys who enjoy eating a variety of foods and trying new things. We are thinking to eat mostly in the Lido, but then I started wondering. With open dining, are the waiters able to serve the courses in a quicker pace, and the dinner would last less time? That would be good with our boys.

we have noticed that in fixed seating & open seating the staff somewhat adapt to our desires--we are punctual to fixed seating times- and love the leisurely pace of our meals. but on occasion there were events happening that caused us to want to have dinner complete a little earlier than usual(CLUB HAL or nightly show, etc) sometimes we would just our waiter know we did not desire dessert or let them know at the beginning of the meal - 6yo wants to go to X has to leave by 7pm-- once we just took his food back to the room to eat after his club Hal event-- another time our waiter asked us what we wanted for dessert & he would have it sent to our cabin :)

if you are at a table with others I would say the pace is fixed to slow & leisurely :) but if it is just your family-- your group will likely set the pace-- if you all order starters, salads, entrees, etc it can only go so fast and I certainly would not except anything beyond this. Typically mealtime for us in the MDR last cruise was anywhere from 45min to 2hrs. and ~2-2.5hrs as well in the PG. I think you might actually be better off with fixed seating if you are interested- as our waiters have usually been outstanding- they know what kind of drinks the kids desire by the 2nd night. They had juice for the 6yo & milk for the 1yo twins when we arrived to the table- already had kids menus out. Let us know as well the items on the MDR menu that we might want to consider for the kids that they could have prepared as a smaller entree, etc-- now that I am tying I actually think they were the ones setting the pace ;), they would bring out the kids entrees very quickly. I would frequently be having salad or an appetizer when their food would arrive. Our kids eat somewhat slowly so this was fantastic. The staff always seemed to have something to show the kids too-- a little napkin made into an animal. a paper napkin made into origami, magic trick, etc. We wouldn't likely have had this if we used open seating & had a different waiter & staff each night. I think bottomline for your question is yes :)

I have not noticed a difference. We usualy talk alot and thus the meal takes longer. If you get a table with just your family I am sure your waiter will speed up the service if you ask.

I think I would try the main dinning room as it will be a good experience for the boys in learning how to eat out.

We often find the pace of service to be a bit quicker than what we prefer so often tell the wait staff to slow things down a bit. Conversley, I think if you explain the situation to them and ask them to speed up service I'm sure they would do their best to accomodate you. If you're in open seating and find a wait staff you like just phone in each morning and reserve the same table.:)

Take the kids to the main dinning room. They need to learn to enjoy the service.

I am not familiar with open dinning. However, we did a cruise to Alaska with three children under 8 with confirmed dinning a few years ago. We took up the entire table (wife's Dad, sister and her husband, brother and his girlfriend, two cousins and two of us and our son) and the waiters adjusted to the children's needs.

The servers anticipated the kids favorite appetizers and drinks got them right away. Many nights the kids were "excused" early to go to children's programs or back to room for movies (accompanied by one adult) and the rest of us stayed behind to enjoy our dessert and coffee.

My son learned how great sorbet was on a cruise when he was just 5! It's still his favorite dessert.

First of all, take the grandsons to the MDR. Tell the wait staff your expectations politely and do your part (ready to order, know what beverages you want) to assist them.

On the Westerdam for 2 weeks in Feb./March this year dining was a drawn out experience (2+ hours every night). The guys worked hard, but with the staff reductions, the timing was off and the service product suffered.

The one night we had to get to a reception we told the waiter we had to be out of the dining room in 1.5 hours. He and his assistant responded and in 90 minutes we were on our way. Note this was in the MDR, 6:00, open seating with one other couple, so others were not obligated to our schedule.

The nights we made no special requests were painfully slow on the service side, the food was excellent with great selections each night however.

Again, take the boys for the fine dining experience!

Hi, RoupMom! We've used the "open" dining on several cruises and usually ask for large tables so we can meet a lot of people. I've found that the service is still relaxed and well-paced. The only strange thing is when things like the "baked Alaska parade" take place while you're eating the soup!

By all means take them to the MDR, our 2 daughters enjoyed it.

The waiters will bring their meals quicker if you ask, and then you can take them to club Hal, and then enjoy the rest of the meal to yourselves and also in the company of others. The waiters are very understanding with children.

We had open dining seating which was great, we didn't take the girls the night of the masterchef do, and the waiters were asking where were they.

We often find the pace of service to be a bit quicker than what we prefer so often tell the wait staff to slow things down a bit. Conversley, I think if you explain the situation to them and ask them to speed up service I'm sure they would do their best to accomodate you. If you're in open seating and find a wait staff you like just phone in each morning and reserve the same table.:)

On HAL, does the staff in open seating stay with the same tables?

The reason I ask, is we were on NCL the last three cruises, and in their 'Freestyle' main dining rooms, the staff rotates around to a different table for each meal, so you would have to ask for specific waiters, and go where they were assigned each time.

The reason I ask, is we were on NCL the last three cruises, and in their 'Freestyle' main dining rooms, the staff rotates around to a different table for each meal, so you would have to ask for specific waiters, and go where they were assigned each time.

The waiters have allocated tables and this is how it stays for the duration of the cruise. We got a really good waiter and kept asking for tables in his allocated area, we got the same table or one near it for most of the cruise.

Eurodam - Nov 2008 (kids age 7M, 2Y, 4Y, 4Y)

Westerdam - Nov 2009 (same kids, one year older)

Niew Amst. - Dec 2010 (same kids, one year older)

We take our kids to nicer restaurants in Chicago so eating in the MDR is no big deal to them. They enjoy the people watching and dressing up. We like open dining but reserve 5:30 nightly - same table. Early dinner is best for young children. Usually it takes us 2 hrs to eat. We try to get to the 7:30 show.

Each child has their own "work porfolio", like a little brief case you can get at the dollar store w/handles and it zips up. Inside is work books, coloring books, crayons, pencils, paper - no toys allowed. This will keep them occupied. We also bring along a portable DVD player for emergencies. Usually just for the baby. The older kids do well with just the supplies in their portfolio. We always bring the portfolios to restaurants, airplanes etc. Each child carries their own.

If anyone acts up, they go straight to the room w/DH. We do not tolerate distrubance while eating. They rarely do so we're lucky. One the cruises it only happened during the first cruise but that was when my son was 2 and it only happened 2x that week. Secret is to keep them busy and if they need a snack an hour before dinner, give them some fruit, granola bar or nuts. We do this so they are not starving and cranky at the table. We do afternoon naps too for all the kids. Keep them fed, hydrated, napped and occupied and everyone will be happy, including your fellow passengers.

BTW...the chicken noodle soup from the kids menu is great. We order that nightly. Then the kids get dinner (they share together) off the regular MDR menu. They don't like kid menu food. Which is fine w/us. Sorbet is their regular nightly dessert. We give them fresh fruit before bedtime - have to keep them "regular".

Also, if you need milk, get it in the AM at the Lido and stock up in your room fridge. We get that emptied upon arrival and store fruit, yogurt, milk for kid snacks.

In case you're interersted, for formal night, my young son wears khakis and button down long sleeve shirt from The Children's Place and dark sandals w/o socks. Regular dinners he wears khakis and polo shirt and the same dark sandals. He's not ready for a suit and tie yet. Maybe next year. Our girls get dressed up girly girly.

Enjoy and have fun. Let me know if you have more questions. We're pro travellers w/kids and learn more on every trip.

If you're on a back to back or other longer cruise t:)here might be some turnover, but for the most part the wait staff are assigned the same tables throughout the cruise.

We had 3 grandkids on Volendam to Alaska and Open Dining. We ate early, usually 5:15, and got window tables. We did not share tables as we were a group of 5. The servers were very attentive and not overloaded with other diners at that time. Then we would go to the early show.

The children enjoyed ordering their selections, with our help. They really didn't like the children's menu. We adults didn't order every course, but we usually wouldn't do that anyway. The servers brought the children's courses as the children needed them. The only time gap was a bit of lag before we ordered our desserts.

The children usually ordered milk or hot chocolate with thier meals, no problem.

MDR dinners were a very nice time for all of us to relax together and enjoy the good service. Lido meals for breakfast and lunch were more haphazard by comparison and the experiences are very different.

I hope you can enjoy dinners in the MDR together. I think it's such a nice and rare opportunity. My advice, GO FOR IT.

I hope you all enjoy it together.

Archived