Just off Emerald Princess April 18-25 & it was .....

Poohjo

AMAZING!!!!!!!! This is a 3rd year in a row on the Emerald and each year it gets better and better. We initially booked a mini-suite and like 10 days before our cruise, we were visited by the upgrade fairy and were blessed with a full suite. We were in Ochio Rios suite E732 and it was perfect. The cabin was awesome!! We slept with the doors open and fell asleep to the sounds of the ocean. Amenities were amazing.... Free internet, free laundry service and dry cleaning...Free initial mini-bar set up (we traded out items from the initial set up to what we like without a problem)...chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our stateroom each evening...full room service options available which was great on our lazy mornings. We'd order and dine out on our balcony..other mornings we dined in Sabatini's for breakfast which was great since only a few others were in that dining room with us. Our Room Stewert was Joel and he was fabulous!!

On the Sunday night leaving Fort Lauderdale, weather was terrible. Certain decks were closed and when you were walking through the halls, you were walking on a slant. Some dishes broke from falling in the Horizon buffet. (Captain Fortezze stated the winds were 50 miles an hour on Sunday. This was advised during the Ultimate Ship Tour we took on Saturday) WE didn't do much this evening except for sit an ahhhh over the suite. Sherlock Holmes was the movie due to be played on MUTS.

Monday, we went to Princess Cays. Quiet day. Weather was great. Water was chilly, but nice since the sun was hot. In the evening we went to Explorers Lounge to see Phil Tag who was very funny. So funny, we had tears rolling down our faces.... He was an equal opportunity offender. Cracked us up!!! Movie showing on MUTS was The Princess and the Frog.

Tuesday was a day at sea. We didn't do much..We wondered around the ship and just totally relaxed. Movie that night on MUTS was "Did You Hear About the Morgans?" and they also did a midnight show which was Surrogates.

Wednesday which was Tropical Island Deck party and we were in St Maarten. We did the Orient Beach shore excursion (which we've done a couple of other times). This beach is beautiful. We spent most of the time in the water, since it got very hot. When we arrived at the beach, it was raining. This shore excursion, includes 2 lounge chairs and lunch. If you want a beach umbrella, it is a $3.00 fee which is paid directly to the beach boy. We all were very sunburned. We walked to the totally Nude part of the beach to see who's wrinkles needed ironing and to see who's didn't and I can honestly say, the majority needed major ironing, but it is nice walking over in that area where people just don't care what the others look like. No judgement! We also went to Crown Grill for dinner. Dinner was fabulous!!! Our waiter was terrific, but every time he talked, I just wanted to laugh. If you have every watched Father of the Bride with Martin Short, our waiter talked just liked him and it was very very funny. Shopping in St Maarten was not very good. Pricing was kinda high. MUTS was doing a concert series this evening: Christina Aguilera, Stevie Wonder, Beyonce, Barry Manilow, Tina Turner, U2 and Cirque du Soleil.

Thursday we were in St Thomas. We signed up for a shore excursion which was shopping and then you would be taken to Megans Bay. We did shop, but never made it to Megans Bay since we were so sunburned from St Maarten, we ditched the Megans Bay portion of the excursion. Shopping in St Thomas was good. Got some great deals. We went to see James Michael(comedian) in the Explorers Lounge who was good, just not great!! The movie on MUTS was Blindside.

Friday we were in Grand Turk. We didn't do a shore excursion in this port. We got off the ship and walked through the shopping area which is at the end of the pier. There was a Ron Jon and Margaritaville. There is a beach at the end of the pier and if you go to Margaritaville, they have pool with a swim up bar. Shopping was ok here. Some of the locals were very nice, others were stand-offish (but that's like most ports) Movie showing on MUTS was AVATAR.

Saturday was a day at sea and this was the best way to end our cruise. I signed me and my hubby up for the Ultimate Ship Tour for my hubby's b-day. It started at 130 and did not end until 515. It was AMAZING!!! We went on the stage in Princess Theaters where they turned the lights on to give us what the dancers see. We went down into the dancers dressing rooms. Also, went to the galley, the laundry area, the picture printing area, the Princess Patter printing area, went up into the area where the smokestacks are, went to the engine room, the area where the tie downs and the anchor are and also up to the bridge were we were with the Captain for about 45 minutes where he greeted each person individually with a hand shake. Our pictures were taken with the Captain as couples and then as a group. There were 13 in our group. 3 other pics were taken by the princess photographer. Once the tour was completed, we were guided back to one of the lounges where there were drinks and snacks waiting. About an hour later, when we finally made it back to our cabin, there were 2 princess tote bags waiting for us (1 for each of us) and they were filled with a very plush princess robe ($90.00 value in the boutiques), a chef's jacket, personalized stationary, a personalized letter from the captain and all 4 pictures that were taken throughout the tour. This tour is $150.00 pp and is so worth it. It is a b-day gift my hubby will never forget.

Our wait staff in Botticelli Dining room were incredible. We had Jerry (head waiter) and Mel (assist. waiter). They were great. Very personable, great sense of humors and were just fantastic.

Sunday morning we were one of the last ones to disembark. We did not get off the Emerald until close to 10am, but that was ok, since we live in Tampa. We were in Club Fusion which offers coffee, orange juice, water and pastries for platinum members.

Based on the itineraries for 2011, it looks like we will be on the Emerald again next year since it is my turn to pick the destination and I want to go to Barbados..so I am selecting the 10 night Emerald Princess.

I hope you all enjoyed this review. Sorry that is is long and also sorry that not much is included about the entertainment on the ship. We just didn't do that much regarding the entertainment.

Penny

Great review! We are doing the same itinery on the Ruby this fall. Can you tell me what night was formal night? I am thinking the first sea day and the day at St Thomas since the ship leaves earlier that day.

The Ultimate Ship Tour sounds very nice and the goodies you got at the end sound great. We have been forunate to have been on a bridge tour before and really enjoyed the experience.

Thanks for sharing your cruise. The Emerald is a very nice ship.

Please satisfy the curiousity of our roll call that is sailing in a few weeks. Was there a seafood buffet the first night sailing out of Fort Lauderdale that included crab legs, lobster claws and shrimp?

Glad you enjoy your cruise and that the upgrade fairy was kind to you. Love those full suites. Thanks for the review. ;)

Great review! We are doing the same itinery on the Ruby this fall. Can you tell me what night was formal night? I am thinking the first sea day and the day at St Thomas since the ship leaves earlier that day.

The Ultimate Ship Tour sounds very nice and the goodies you got at the end sound great. We have been forunate to have been on a bridge tour before and really enjoyed the experience.

Thanks for sharing your cruise. The Emerald is a very nice ship.

Formal Night was on the first day at sea and also the night we were in St Thomas.

Please satisfy the curiousity of our roll call that is sailing in a few weeks. Was there a seafood buffet the first night sailing out of Fort Lauderdale that included crab legs, lobster claws and shrimp?

Glad you enjoy your cruise and that the upgrade fairy was kind to you. Love those full suites. Thanks for the review. ;)

Yes, they did state that there was a seafood buffet the first night on board, however, I am allergic to shell fish and we didn't go up to see what was on the buffet. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance on that one.

Penny

Yes, they did state that there was a seafood buffet the first night on board, however, I am allergic to shell fish and we didn't go up to see what was on the buffet. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance on that one.

Penny

Penny, thanks for confirming. It looks like they will all find out once onboard exactly what is being served. Again, appreciate the confirmation that there is some sort of seafood buffet though. ;)

Thanks so much for the wonderful review. I can't wait until we cruise on the Emerald again, she's a beautiful ship. One question regarding your upgrade. Did you have an assigned Mini-suite before getting upgraded to the suite?

Thanks Barb!

Thanks so much for the wonderful review. I can't wait until we cruise on the Emerald again, she's a beautiful ship. One question regarding your upgrade. Did you have an assigned Mini-suite before getting upgraded to the suite?

Thanks Barb!

Barb,

We were in an assigned mini-suite. We were also visited last year by the upgrade fairy on the Emerald Princess. Last year we booked an Aft cabin and were upgraded to a Mini-suite which is what got us hooked on the mini-suite and that is why we booked the mini for this year, but were not upset at all to be upgraded to the full suite.

Penny

Enjoyed your review. We did this this same sailing 3/28/10 and really enjoyed it (link to review is in my signature).

I had to write because I saw you are from Valrico. I grew up in Brandon. It's wonderful being so close to all the FL ports!

Enjoyed your review. We did this this same sailing 3/28/10 and really enjoyed it (link to review is in my signature).

I had to write because I saw you are from Valrico. I grew up in Brandon. It's wonderful being so close to all the FL ports!

Did you go to th Seafood Buffet? and if you did what was on it?

Diane G

Diane G

Yes, they did state that there was a seafood buffet the first night on board, however, I am allergic to shell fish and we didn't go up to see what was on the buffet.

Penny

Answered above

Diane G

We looked over the buffet the first night but all we saw was some peel and eat shrimp. This was in the Horizon Court. Maybe there was something else in the Caribe Cafe? We had heard of a seafood buffet the first night and went to check it out before eating in the MDR, but seeing only the shrimp, we went to the MDR.

Barb,

We were in an assigned mini-suite. We were also visited last year by the upgrade fairy on the Emerald Princess. Last year we booked an Aft cabin and were upgraded to a Mini-suite which is what got us hooked on the mini-suite and that is why we booked the mini for this year, but were not upset at all to be upgraded to the full suite.

Penny

When you were in the aft cabin were you marked no upgrades or did you leave it open for upgrades? We have an aft cabin booked this cruise but would be thrilled if they upgraded us to a mini. Love those minis.

Thanks for the great review... good to hear what is currently playing on MUTS right now. We'll be on the Emerald (same itinerary) in just a few short days!!!

Any news on the piano bar player?! I'm hoping for a good one.

Great Review! We were on this sailing also. This was our 4th Princess Cruise and we have sailed 8 times with Royal Caribbean and 1 time with Celebrity. Each time we sail with Princess we love it more and more. The Food is sooooo much better on Princess than Royal Caribbean and alot more choices too. The ship is beautiful. Did not care for the vibration of the ship when using its Thrusters. I was in the Thermal Suite, laying on the hot stone loungers, two different times when this happened. I think both times we were leaving port. I've never experienced this on any other cruise I have ever been on:(. Had a awesome time! We didn't get to fly home until Monday due to the airfares to Chicago being so high priced. Flying out of FT Lauderdale, on Monday, we encountered 45 minutes of bad turbulence from the storms that were around the Orlando area. I was pretty anxious at times...but the pilot and crew were great on Southwest. The flight attendant even sang a little song about throwing up....if you do you will have to clean it up! Depressed to be home:( as I have Fibromyalgia and I felt pretty good by the end of our cruise. Back home to stress and fluctuating temps:mad:........can't wait to go again!

Kelly

Thanks for the great review... good to hear what is currently playing on MUTS right now. We'll be on the Emerald (same itinerary) in just a few short days!!!

Any news on the piano bar player?! I'm hoping for a good one.

In Crooners (which has the most amazing Raspberry Martinis) the piano player is The Piano Man from Australia and his name was Brendan Jones. He was very good.

I am facinated by your review of the Ultimate Ship Tour. WHEN & WHERE

did you sign up for it. We'll be on the Emerald May2-9. Thanks!!:)

The Ultimate Ship Tour was amazing and probably one of the main highlights of our cruise. You need to sign up as soon as you board the ship at Passengers Services. They only allow 12 people to participate in this tour. There is always a wait list when the 12 spots have been filled, just in case someone backs out at the last minute. We boarded at 1130 and we were the second couple to sign up. The night before the tour, you will receive a confirmation letter for each person taking part in this tour with a waiver that needs to be signed and brought with you at the meeting time for the tour. The tour normally takes place on the last sea day of the cruise. I highly recommend this tour. It was fabulous!!!! Enjoy your cruise!

Penny

In Crooners (which has the most amazing Raspberry Martinis) the piano player is The Piano Man from Australia and his name was Brendan Jones. He was very good.

Thanks, Poohjo! I'm looking forward to rockin out to some Billy Joel and Ben Folds!!

The Ultimate Ship Tour sounds very nice and the goodies you got at the end sound great....

I would agree but $150pp is a bit steep. I had no idea that they offer "shore excursions" on the ship??? I was considering it until I found out the cost here.:eek:

When you were in the aft cabin were you marked no upgrades or did you leave it open for upgrades? We have an aft cabin booked this cruise but would be thrilled if they upgraded us to a mini. Love those minis.

My Travel Agent has us marked as we accept upgrades. When we were booked in the Aft Balcony last year, we had never booked or stayed in an aft cabin and then we were notified that we were upgraded to the mini, which we were happy about b/c we had heard great things about the mini's, but disappointed b/c we really wanted to experience the Aft cabins. After having the AFT Suite this year, I am so totally sold on the AFT experience, but I will take any upgrade that is given to us. We are easy to please.

I would agree but $150pp is a bit steep. I had no idea that they offer "shore excursions" on the ship??? I was considering it until I found out the cost here.:eek:

We considered the Ultimate Ship Tour last year but due to the cost, we decided against it. The reason we did it this year was it was my hubby's b-day and he is very hard to buy for. This was something I knew he wanted to do, but wouldn't commit to it unless I did it for him so he couldn't say no since it was presented to him as a b-day gift. This tour was wonderful, worth the cost and it is something my husband and myself will always remember. We've paid shore excursions this amount before when doing an all day catamaran in St Thomas or a jeep excursion in Aruba.... This is just a sea excursion instead of a shore excursion. :cool:

Thank you for your review, congrats on that upgrade! What a score! :D

7x5090g...the cost for the UST is high, but the "gifts" you get are worth way more than $150 and the experience of standing on the bridge and seeing nothing but the vast ocean sparkling in the sun in every direction was worth every penny to me.

Archived